side cover alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• side cover alternatives?

has anyone used/made/found any alternative covers for the battery? I have been scowering ebay for a right side cover for my 81XS that is in good enough cndition to paint with no luck. Rinning out of patience.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Have you looked in ebay lately? I just bought a set for an 81 SH for less $50. The covers from an 80 SG will fit. Those from an older model will not.

Comment

yes, in fact i just looked. I go into parts/motorcycle/asian and search for yamaha xs1100 xs 1100. I haven's seen any in a while, but I haven't been religiously checking either.
      '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

There was a faded red one just three days ago. Expand your search by chosing all ebay catagories. Here is a set that I just found. They are for a Special, but the owner isn't sure what year. If you should happen look at them, and see a question about mounting slots, or holes, that is me asking the question.
        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MakeTrack=true

Comment

thanx, i will be watching them for sure. I guess I shouldn't have depended on people to get things into the appropriate catagories, haha. I am still interested, however, to see if anybody has made there own or done any mods or anything creative.
          '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

that is really weird, they were the right catagory and my search didn't find them earlier today.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

expand searches

Try also to search all of ebay with these search criteria individually:

yamaha xs11
              yamaha xs 11
              yamaha xs1100
              yamaha xs 1100
              yamaha xs eleven
              yamaha xs (although, this will list a bunch of stuff from the 400s to the 1100s)

While side covers may not work, search also for:

yamaha xj

I found a excellent set of xj1100 footpegs, with the chrome tips that look really cool on my XS11SG.
              Gone but never Forgotten:
              1980 XS11SG - "Scorpion"

Current:
              2006 Yamaha FJR1300A - "Orion"
              2007 Honda CBR600RR - "Twitch"

"Life is not a journey to the grave, with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid on broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming:

WOW - What a ride!

Comment

I find it REALLY hard to believe that no one in this bunch has used anything besides factory cover. No one has made there own or done something differnt? Wow.
                '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Somebody has done it. I know I've seen one myself, but I can't remember where or when, or just how they did it...
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

making side covers

81XSproject I've been toying with this prob for some time (mentally, not materially) and the best that I have come up with so far would be.... first coat a side cover with a releasing agent, and then press into a tray of plaster to the appropriate depth. Plaster hardens, remove sidecover. Give inside of plaster mold several coatings of fiberglass resin.(I like the idea of the mold and resin as should leave a fairly "smooth" outer surface, less prepping before painting.) spread in several layers of resin-soaked fiberglass mat till side cover is the desired thickness. Let harden, pop out. Drill holes for emblems, and trim odd spots with a dremel. Now... how does the time and effort consumed here rate to spending $50 on ebay for something that you don't have to clown with? I can't answer that one. Though I did make a custom set of side covers for a 650 this way
                    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

http://www.usa123.bizland.com/merria...tml/begin.html

is the link to Merriam Cycle. They have a mold to make fiberglass side covers, which are supposedly much stronger than the origionals, and ready for paint.

They are also $175 a piece, so they better also wash the bike after I put it in the garage. But to each their own.

http://www.oldkawman.com/xsparts.html

Also often has old parts lying around, but I can't speak to exactly having side covers.

http://www.alfaheaven.com/AHI_Text_Pages/bikeindx.html

is a link to a salvage place here in WI. Got some good stuff from them, and excellent service. they don't surrently ist side covers for an xs1100, but they have had them in the past (as so, in theory, will again)

Pain
                      I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

cycle empire

Pain you gotta be talkin bout cycle empire up there in miltown?Been there did that...lol They have lots of stuff ,but you have to know what it is your looking for as they pretty much disassemble a bike and through it on shelves. Just like that,no marking or tagging things,just strip and store. But if your near and have time they let you run wild threw the isles.As for side cover alteritives,i've seen people make them outta shetmetal also?
                        1982 XJ 1100
                        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Well I live in Nor-Cal, a long way from WI. I was thinking maybe make some out of diamond plating. That might look pretty sweet.
                          '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

There's a guy in Germany making side covers, etc. Here is a link to his webpage:

xs11.co.UK

Comment

I beat a pair out of copper for my old xs750. They looked a little rough, but that was sort of the look I was going for.
                              1980 XS 1100 Standard
                              1980 XS 1100 Special
                              1982 XJ 1100
                              1972 Honda CB 350

Comment

Working...
                              X