No announcement yet.

Tkat forkbrace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got TKAT braces for my entire fleet (except the DT of course). I'd still say this is one of the best things you can do for your XS. Rest assured, TKAT is not getting rich off of selling forkbraces, even at this new price.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

I have been running the Tkat brace for over a year now and what everyone says about them is true - they are a big improvement and actually make the bike safer to ride. I'll never forget some of the funky stuff the front end of my old '79 special did, especially around bumpy off-camber turns at speed. Scared the crap out of me a couple of times back in the day.

This week I installed a hoop style fork brace in addition to the Tkat.

Even more of an improvement, IMHO. Bike steers like it's on rails.

Andy

Comment

This week I installed a hoop style fork brace in addition to the Tkat.

I've both on the hot rod XS, very solid ride..
        80G has just the "hoop" style and it's not too impressive by itself.

mro

Comment

I am ordering a tkat brace next week everyone seems to speak highly of it and my xs is a little scary at times, I also look to go progressive all around, the stock suspension is all spring after 27 years.
          80 XS1100 SG

Comment

I definately want to try out one... did they say if they make one for the XJ? I didn't really see an answer in that one post except that the XJ has one built in. It may be a stiffer fender than the XS, but when really riding it in the corners down around peg scraping range, you can really feel the bike flexing... almost like it's bowing in the middle. If the corners are humpy or rough, it's even worse. It helped some with a new front tire, but it still needs one. Maybe someone who is lighter than me wouldn't notice it so bad.. and even I don't unless I'm really riding hard... but it can get a little spooky at times. Especially since I'm holding a camera in one hand a lot of the time! lol.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

When I put my Tkat on, it moved the wobble from around 90-100 to around 110 on the straights. Took all the "weave" away on 80mph sweepers. Still need springs and shocks though.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Definately worth the bucks! It is amazing how such a small piece can tighten up the turns. Worknmanship on the Tkat brace is excellent too.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

did they say if they make one for the XJ?
                  Tkat does make an XJ version, you might have to contact him and see if he has any in stock. The XJ unit is different than the others due to the height of the XJ fender over the wheel. The Tkat fork bracke has a higher 'rise' than either the Standard or Special. Part of the rise is in the part that clamps around the forks, the rest is on the cross bar.

I have a Tkat fork brace on my XJ, definity helped handling at all speeds.

To help your XS or XJ handle better, these are the recommended mods / upgrades:

Fork brace
                  Stainless-steel brake lines
                  Decent rear shocks
                  In most cases, new pregressive-wound front fork springs.

If your steering head bearings show any signs of notchiness, replace both the top and bottom bearings.

With these upgrades the XS and XJ can be made to handle better than new.

Soo far I have the first 2 and last one, need the rear shocks and will probably replace the steering head bearings this winter. Handling is much better than when I started!
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

in addition to stainless brake lines, i think i need to rebuild the calipers and master cylinder, the front is really bad on my bike.
                    Anyone know about Hagon shocks? looking at getting some 11.5" long heavy duty shocks for the rear and lower the front forks by about 5/8" or 7/8". has anyone know if the bike handles better lowered like this?
                    80 XS1100 SG

Comment

A search for "Hagon shocks" will reveal 6 other threads besides this one with opinions and such.

A similar search for "lowering front end" or such should also provide you with info on that aspect, good and bad points!
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TKat should have the lowering kit for the rear soon. Very quality pieces from what I have seen.

--Nick

Comment

Don't mean to hijack this thread

But does anyone have any experience with the telefix fork brace?
                          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                          Jim

Comment

Working...
                          X