Tkat forkbrace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tkat forkbrace

Being a novice rider, would spending $85 on a tkat forkbrace be something that would even be noticeable and/or beneficial to me?
    80 SG
    81 SH in parts
    99 ST1100
    91 ST1100

yes
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

The XS/XJ 1100s were not terrific handling machines when new. The years have gone past and these bikes are in need of upgrading.

A fork brace will give you the most bang for your buck, and so far no one has said they didn't notice a difference in handling, quite the opposite. A fork brace should be on your upgrade list.

Other upgrades/replacements:

New fork springs and seals. Look at the Progressive brand springs.
      New rear shocks.
      Upgrade the brake lines to new ones or better yet to braided stainless steel. (Plan to rebuild both master cylinders, as accumulated 'spooge' may block pressure relief passeges.) Many people have also rebuilt the wheel cylinders.

With upgraded brakes, new fork springs, new shocks and a fork brace the XS/XJ get a lot better handling. Not really 'modern' as compared to a brand new bike, but a whole lot better than the 20+ year old stuff you most likely have now.
      Jerry Fields
      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
      '06 Concours
      My Galleries Page.
      My Blog Page.
      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Jerry:

I've often read in past threads that the T-kat brace was a must for XS bikes but not so necessary for our XJ's. Have you changed your views on this? I do agree that new progressive springs in the front and new shocks in the back would help. Do you have part numbers for the progressive springs and brand and part numbers for rear shocks? Thanks.

maxim4rob

Comment

Ive put 20+K miles on my bike and never felt the need for a brace, but that may be cause Ive only ridden this one bike. I have just ordered the fork brace mainly due to all the positive review on this site. Ill let you know what differences I find after I install it.
          Paul

First bike was an: 1978 XS1100
          Second bike is an FJR1300.
          Now I'm restoring a '79 XS1100.

Comment

Well, tkat is a bit far for my taste, but I got a brace in the making.
            The cross over piece is still in the making, gotta find a guy that welds aluminium, polish the thing and... thats bout it.
            I got that pair of rear shocks from ebay, all I need now is front forks. Mine are real bad now (checked today). There is a rust ring forming just so the oil seal is rubbing against it, and ruining the seal. Eh well, got those new ordered, gonna come next week.
            Gonna wait for the next paycheck and an ebay opportunity for the forks.

LP

PS: I'll post some pictures of the brace when its finished.
            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

hey storm

forks by frank has new for 204 dollars american plus shipping. which wound probly be a lot for you ,just a thought. As i've been looking on ebay and a lot of sets look worse than what i already have.
              1982 XJ 1100
              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Thanks for the info chevy!

I saw a new top ends (NOS) on german ebay for 99 euro. Bout 120$. Another complete set of front forks went for 102 euro. Too bad I overslept the end of that auction. Looks like stuff is cheaper here. Besides, I just got a new job, gonna wait for the ca$h.

LP
                If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I've been kind of hit and miss on this web site lately well maybe more than lately. I just happen to check the post to see if anything caught my eye, and the last I heard the TKAT fork brace was no longer available due to a programming error and the timeing was just perfect because I was just getting ready to buy one. So with that info I kind of forgot about them. I guess I missed something? I am excited to see that there still out their how do I get one? I know merriam used to be a source for some extra coin, but how do I order one from TKAT.

Comment

Hey Petevan,

Go here: http://www.tkat.com/forkbrace.html

T.C.
                    **Editted link, sorry, I had copied it from the tech tips!?**
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

t.c.:
                      When I tried the link, I got an error. I just went to the tkat site, and this is the link I had:
                      http://www.tkat.com/forkbrace.html
                      That is for a picture of the fork brace. I've been to his shop, and know he is still building fork braces. The one I put on my machine made a HUGE difference in the feel. The front end now feels tight. It was feeling as if a bolt was a little loose or the axle wasn't quite right.
                      The $85 will probably do more for the handling than anything else you could put on the bike.
                      Ray
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks for the link I'm glad that TKAT is still making them, I'll have to order one soon, after that next on the list, progressive springs, then stainless steel brake lines and then..... and then.... and then.....

Comment

I like it.
                          "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Does the Tkat Fork Brace work on the XJ1100J Maxim?

I wrote to TKAT last year on Oct 8 & 10th, 2004:
                            Re: Does the Tkat Fork Brace work on the XJ1100J Maxim?

---- BEGIN conversation ----

rickmcdougald wrote:
                            Does the Tkat Fork Brace work on the XJ1100J Maxim?
                            Thanks,
                            RLMcD

Tkat wrote:
                            I've made 'em but the XJ has a factory built in one that's s'what OK.

"The chance of your helmet dropping onto a rough concrete or asphalt surface is directly proportional to it's newness & expense."

rick mcdougald wrote:

Tkat,
                            I don't think I see it on my '82. Can you tell me where I might find it?
                            Thanks for your time,
                            RLMcD

Tkat wrote:
                            Check under the front fender. There's generally some heavy wt. metal arching over the tire.

From Murphy's Rules of Combat... "Never share a fox-hole with anyone braver than you are."

---- END of conversation ----
                            XJ1100J Maxim (Arlington)
                            Ruby Red
                            XS1100E (no name yet)
                            Macho Maroon

Comment

UPDATE FROM TKAT!

OK, for e'one that's been waiting, the next run is complete & ready for
                              shipping.

Both Stds & Spcs are in stock but in limited supply.

Now the bad news: There has to be a price increase. After building
                              these things for 10+ years w/ only one raise it's come time to increase
                              them again. Material has increased 50%, postage is up about as much,
                              rent is up 13% in 2 yrs, power/taxes/yadayada. You know how it goes.

New prices:

$90 domestic
                              $92USD Canuck
                              $97USD off shore

But that still includes shipping priority mail.

Ciao,
                              Tkat

"It can only be a sport if it has an engine.
                              Everything else is only a game."
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                              X