Fuse Block Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuse Block Mod

Is this the JCWhitney part referred to in the Tech section?
    XS11.com > Modifications > Battery & Electrical
    SKU# ZX037115W
    $25.99.

Looks like it. Just wanted to make sure cause the SKU# is different and the note about there not being many models which have multiple independant in and out leads.

Thanks!
    Patrick Kennedy

p.s. think I might get one for my lil' xs400f as well...
    Your Mileage May Vary

I have a 4 fuse set-up on my E but that one would work too.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Pat Kennedy,

$25.99 is double what Pep Boys sells 'em for. They're made by Littlefuse. Check out my fuse box mod for the Littlefuse part# here:

Randy's XS11 Page

Click on the XS Resto Tips button.

Comment

Hey Randy and Pat,

I used the fuse block from Pep Boys also, had 5 fuse slots! I noticed that the one in JCW as well as mine stated that the maximum fuse to use was only 15amps. The turn signal circuit uses a 20amp. Now, I converted my turn signals to LED, and so didn't have that kind of draw on that circuit, so I had no problems in using a 15amp fuse, but if Pat stays with the OEM bulbs, will that be enough for his turn signal circuit without overheating it??
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I ordered mine from on-line. The same one used in the tech tip.
          My E is using 2x10a for headlight and ign, 1x20a for turn, and 1x30a for main. I've no problems so far (eXScept for the other morning).
          My LG still has the OEM glass fuses. I removed each one and wiggled and tugged on each of the holders. All appear in great condition (for now). I'll eventually get a 5 blade-fuse holder (move the one from the left side to the right with the others).
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
            if Pat stays with the OEM bulbs, will that be enough for his turn signal circuit without overheating it??
            I think the 20-10-10-10 should be okay. The ad copy says "Rated up to 90 amps (15-amp maximum per fuse) when connected in series" - and the one on the JCW site has 6 slots. So ijust figured 6x15=90, but who knows. My 400 came w/a modified fuse block and the mains (also 20A) housing melted out in the middle of a ride across the Bay Bridge...

Course I guess if you found out the hard way you could just reconfigure to another slot for the ride home
            Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

Doesn't add up.

Maybe they meant 90 amps when connected in parallel. Think about it. If you connected 6 15-amp fuses in series, one of them will blow when you exceed 15 amp current draw, opening the circuit. Doesn't make sense.

Comment

Patrick;
                My Eleven came modified already. the PO had put four of the yellow wire blade fuse holders in place of the fuse block. They are available at Kragens or Ace Hardware, both local stores. They are rated to 30 amps, so you can put all 4 in, and keep the original fuse rating.
                Cost is about $2.00 each, so they are also MUCH cheaper than JCW.
                Ray
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay
                  Cost is about $2.00 each, so they are also MUCH cheaper than JCW.
                  Ray
                  I think I have found a solution - saw some at Marine West this weekend too, shoulda picked em up...
                  Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

The original fuse block on my 78E fell apart this summer. I was close enough to an auto zone that I was able to walk and get the blade type fuse holders to replace it. Took less that an hour, walking included, and less than $10 bucks. I had the same thing happen years ago to my 82 650 Seca. She had over 60,000 miles on her by then. Replacedthe fuses the same way as a "temporary" fix, with the intention to get a new fuse box. Never did, never had any problem with it, so why fix what ain't broke.
                    78E ... Gone but not forgotten
                    2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Working...
                    X