My last dumb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why?

An old song comes to mind,,, hhhmm war? WHY CAN"T WE BE FRIENDS ,,,WHY CAN'T WE BE FRIENDS !!!!!!! Come on now tech discussions for the needy!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Lets all have fun

Hey BKR, I take enough abuse from my wife,I dont need anymore from you. Lets keep it clean and fun on this site
      Dan ( A.K.A.- MacGyver )

Comment

[i]Originally posted by MAXIMAN
        While it's true that most auto oils do as good if not better job of fighting thermal degredation, the BIG question is whether auto oils effect slippage in a motorcycle's wet clutch.

The bike manufacturer's claim that the friction modifiers added to many auto oils will cause clutch slippage and over time premature clutch failure.
        You results match mine. I have not tried any oils with friction modifiers since the early 80's with a well abused 350 Honda. I figured that it had been abused badly enough that it wouldn't matter if it caused problems since it already needed a top end rebuild and new clutch. And if it survived a few months longer as a result, so much the better. I can't tell that it made a difference one way or the other on that bike. Even with the additives, I saw no increased clutch slippage (clutch slipped before the test anyway until I shimmed the springs).

I would not risk that experiment with an XS unless it was due for a complete teardown and rebuild though. XS parts cost a lot more than parts for that old 350 did.

Comment

Bike Oil

Hey excess 11 Maybe you should stop and think why your wife picks on you. As far as a friendly site, it was for me until the insults started. To tennis23 i apologize for this foolishness. You can find over 125 sites that deal with the oil questions, check em out.. bkr

Comment

Nit picking with facts and figures over different oils is a load of academic B.S. Motors are unbelievably tough. At a drunken bike rally years ago I watched a crazy dude tie up the throttle full noise in neutral on an old dunger Z1000 until it blew. Everyone was taking bets. Took 45 minutes to blow up. Next morning she fired up and ran like nothin' had happened. Heres a link to a similar incident. You gotta love that boiling oil - reminds me of the film 'Alien'.

http://www.timothypilgrim.com/bike/japengines.jpg

Comment

Bike Oil

Hey pggg That is one heck of a site. Funny what a person will do to make an ass of themselves. Proves the Jap bikes can take it..bkr

Comment

oil info site

Bobtheoilguy.com.....................look at this site for more oil data.
                Bruce
                Bruce Doucette
                Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Working...
                X