No announcement yet.

Oil Filter Bolt: Frozen & Stripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction. I just ordered one on ebay.
    dontlikeoc
    1981 XS1100 Special Edition
    Alhambra, CA

Comment

No problem. Just send my 20% finder's fee to Tod'sbeerfund@Drunkokie.com

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Mixel, first time I took mine off, had the similar impression, and also battled to get the bole out. I then took a normal filter strap and placed it around the filter bowl. Got it to move just enough to shoot the bolt loose. From there I used a vice-grip to get the bolt out.

For some reason there are PO's that fit these bolts with lock tight.

Gud luck.
        '79 XS1100 (2H9) named Bones
        1196 Big Bore
        4-1 Cowley exhaust
        750FD Conversion
        Echlin 54mm Racing Cones (Americanese = pods)
        Black Ebony Bottled glazed Tank (To be redone now)
        BMX footpegs
        Tank internally lined (Professionally this time)
        GSX400 Throttle bodies (Under serious investigation)
        Anti Sticky float bowl system

Comment

Holy Thread Resurrection

Originally posted by Athedra View Post
          Mixel, first time I took mine off, had the similar impression, and also battled to get the bole out. I then took a normal filter strap and placed it around the filter bowl. Got it to move just enough to shoot the bolt loose. From there I used a vice-grip to get the bolt out.

For some reason there are PO's that fit these bolts with lock tight.

Gud luck.
          Hi Athedra,

Thank you for the consideration and suggestions. Am pretty sure that bike no longer exists. I posted the thread back in like 2005, heh. Am riding a gorgeous 1980 XS1100 Midnight Special nowadays. Just had a Wiseco Big bore installed and it is 1200cc Already dropped it once and got a speeding ticket Judge dropped the speeding ticket (no radar! ) and the scratch is... well, it sucks, lol! Dropped the ****er right in my driveway to - sadly a steep dirt driveway and the gravel chewed a couple nicks into the OEM engine cover I'd put on to replace the old scarred one. Alas... it is still the most gorgeous thing I have ever owned/will ever own.

How's tricks in South Africa? Summer there now, no?

Best,
          -Patrick Kennedy
          Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

HOLY SH*T. never seen a 4 year old thread resurrect. Thought they get deleted after 2 years.

Yep. Summer over here. Best thing in South Africa being a biker is there is none stop driving weather. Winter, you add some gloves and an extra jacket, and in summer you add some gloves and a rain suite. We don't have snow spoiling our driving, just the 70% chance of hale when it starts raining. But that gets sorted by having a cigarette or two under the nearest bridge.

Posted one of our Day jols in the members lounge not so long ago, topic is the Gauteng Toyrun. Should give you a fairly good indication as to how we do things over here.

I was suppose to be at the poison (the biggest weekend rally in South Africa) this weekend, but with a fuel consumption problem, I had to cancel.

Sad to have missed it, and the guys will probably pull the piss out of me for the next three months or so about it.

As far as I can trace, there is 35 running XS's in South Africa. SO am planning on getting them all on a day jol, and takes some good pictures of them and post them.

Take it you eventually got the bolt out (Hahahaha) If you havn't after 4 years, then we seriously need to go out for a drink or two so that I can show you how to man handle a filter bolt.
            '79 XS1100 (2H9) named Bones
            1196 Big Bore
            4-1 Cowley exhaust
            750FD Conversion
            Echlin 54mm Racing Cones (Americanese = pods)
            Black Ebony Bottled glazed Tank (To be redone now)
            BMX footpegs
            Tank internally lined (Professionally this time)
            GSX400 Throttle bodies (Under serious investigation)
            Anti Sticky float bowl system

Comment

Working...
            X