No announcement yet.

oooooh my poor wittle tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This topic leaves me wondering. My 80g, after neglecting it during a final semester of school (for now), sprung a leak on the bottom right-hand seam. I'm not sure how that happened - the tank internals are coated with epoxy.

I didn't even think about trying to solder. I'd still want to make sure there wasn't a trace of combustable inside the tank, though, even if using solder gun.

I wonder however, if for small holes if JB weld or the Caswell epoxy stuff would work fine. For example, what if one emptied the tank and used a fresh coating of the epoxy? I suppose one should ask Caswell about that.

The tank on my special came with a screw inserted into one of the holes and then patched with JB. I suppose there are all kinds of ways to do it, but a fix from the inside would be nice.

I think getting a replacement tank is a good idea, but then it has to be coated too, so either way, the fix could be $50-100 or more.

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Working...
    X