oooooh my poor wittle tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oooooh my poor wittle tank

well im new to the xsive addiction but wow from all you guy's post im addicted well i was till i looked at my tank this morning the bottom half of the tank was covered in bondo where the indents are in the center of the tank just foward of the petcocks.

well i carefully removed the bondo and well the left hand side is gone 4-5 inch hole all the way through abought an 1/2 inch wide and the inside of the tank is solid crystal too much gas and water left for too long so im off to see if i can get another tank websites look out here i come.

hopefully partsn more or bike bandit have one i can use i dont feel like trying my hand at building one besides i dont want to change the look of the tank i like the way it looks stock on the bike.
    1979 (6/78) xs1100f with windjammer fairing and trunk no bags yet

Replacement Tank

You are not likely going to have much luck getting a tank from the 2 vendors you mentioned. Lot more likely to obtain one from within this group. Just exactly what year and model XS do you have?
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    83 FT500 "lilRat"
    92 ZX11 Temptress

Comment

i have a 79 xs1100f
      standard i believe
      if i wasnt on vacation atm i would have a new tank grrr there is one on ebay right now for 100 but well vacation travel expenses and its still a couple of days be fore pay day grrr sometimes vacations can mess up the best of things but if any of you have one that they are willing to sell later after the first of the year then i will gladly pay shipping and what ever its worth to you.

Comment

Hey there Ken,

He has a 79 Standard according to his profile! I wrote a note on the general discussion forum where he posted his introduction, and was wondering if there was any truth to what I had read/heard about not being able to weld a gas tank that had already had fuel in it?? I'm talking about an empty tank properly dried and vented, something to do with the pores of the metal not being able to make a proper seal??

Even with a hole that size, can't we provide some other suggestions for sealing it, like fiberglass patching, vs. bondo??

We know how hard or expensive it can be to find a Standard tank!?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Well, I found that tank, it's not over for 23 hours, and there are NO bids on it, at $75.00 right now!! You usually don't have to pay for several days after the bid is won!!! Is this the one you're talking about:
          79 Standard Tank with Petcocks

There were also a few XS750 Standard tanks in a much nicer price range, and IIRC, they will fit!? How about it Xsives, will a Standard XS750 tank fit an 1100 without much modification?

First 750 tank

2nd 750 tank

And here's a rough looking set of hard bags to go with your luggage rack if you want to complete the ensemble!?
          Hard Bags Set
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I might have a tank he can use... i have to check it out when get a little warmer.. its off a 78E
            Shawn
            78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
            78 XS1100E Parts
            www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

750 tank won't fit (easily)
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Replacement Tank

sksxs1100 is doing exactly what I thought would happen with my post. Now that we know what model the tank is needed for people on this great list will step up. If Shawn's turns out not to be right one I can also volunteer one off a 78 standard. Bit rusty inside but no leaks. He will have to use his own petcocks, cap and emblems.
                Shawn's would be more suitable than mine so far as shipping goes. He is in Texas while I'm on the north west coast in Canada.
                Anyone driving Texas to Florida in the next little while?
                Ken/Sooke

Comment

you guys suck

yes i said it and i mean it

i post twelve hours ago if that and already you are taking care of me if you can thats not fair cause im clueless heck i dont even have the bike home yet its still at father in laws sisters house under a tarp cause i dont have a hitch on the mini van.

i dont get that till i get my taxes back or sooner if one of my friends has to come back over this way for work in the next few weeks with his truck. and the first one of you that offers to drive it over for me is in trouble if you start being that nice then how the heck is this little e-5 gonna help in return i only have the one bike and im not parting it out so i dont have any thing to trade for it and im a little late to help with shipping for strom jees here to there had to be expensive.

well enough of my rant on you all being too nice and thanks for all the offers.

as far as the 1100 tank on ebay im checking it in the morning if no bids ill send the guy an email asking if he can hold it for private sale i just dont have the cash till after the first because of military pay and travel expences (e-5 pay sucks with two kids)

thank you again for all the help

Comment

Parts

Ok , i have a gas tank ill keep 4 ya till u want it , also have a complete set of bags with tail light bracket, ya can have them for 150.00 plus shipping, thats canadian so its like what 115.00 american. They are stored in my shed till spring. email me at..........dougwmitchell@hotmail.com title it gas tank so i dont delete it..................MITCH
                    Doug Mitchell
                    82 XJ1100 sold
                    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

If all else fails, and the Ebay auction doesn't work out, check with these guys:Sac-Cycle I bought a tank from them for my Kawasaki and was VERY pleased with the service I got from them.
                      Brian
                      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                      remembering the same thing!

Comment

Doncha' hate runnin' outta money before ya run outta month?
                        Been there...over 20 years ago
                        ASM3 USS Kitty Hawk CV 63/ NAS Brunswick, Me.

Comment

It's been a long time but I have brazed gas tanks. Never did one from a bike but did quite a few on older cars ate up from the salt in Northern NY. That 30 years ago or so before there were wire feed welders all over the place. Trick was to get them good a clean we used and acid as the final step in cleaning them I think it as muriatic. We either flushed the tank with water for several hours before taking the torch to it or if we were in a hurry would hook up a car exhaust to it using a large rubber hose to remove the oxygen inside the tank. I always felt better flushing them but did it both ways. we would pass the torch over the tank opening after flushing and every now and then would get a little huff out of it but usually that was all. I did blow one up once but that was because the water hose flushing it got turned off about 20 minutes after I started the flush and I didn't know it. When I passed the torch over the opening it blew flew I don't know how high in the air scared the crap out of me and even more crap out my boss who's tank it was. he was inside in the office but was sure there'd be pieces of me all over. Didn't get so much as a scratch but I always tested the tank as for as my arm and the torch would reach. Bottom line is I think you could weld one using a wire feed welder but I would inert the inside using exhaust or Nitrogen if I could and would probably want to creem or por 15 the tank after wards to seal any pin holes, if ya got the welder try it what do you got to lose.
                          Russ Neal
                          Milton, NH
                          04 GL1800 ABS
                          04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
                          99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
                          80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
                          83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
                          80 XS1100G(Sold)
                          81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

Fixing tanks

I repaired lots of tanks with out flushing them, clean the area to bare metal ,use a heavy duty electric soldering iron, tin up the area , tin up a small patch and sweat it down to the tank then run a fine bead of solder around the patch file smooth ,body fill and paint. There u go just like new just need a little soldering skills.........MITCH
                            Doug Mitchell
                            82 XJ1100 sold
                            2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                            2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                            1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                            47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

militaryondutyf,

If you send me the tank and pay return shipping, There is a good chance I can repair the hole by welding in a patch panel.

If you are interested, contact me off forum.
                              DZ
                              Vyger, 'F'
                              "The Special", 'SF'
                              '08 FJR1300

Comment

Working...
                              X