aluminum oxidation tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aluminum oxidation tip

I am in the process of restoring an 81 xs1100. I am also a college student. While attending my chemistry lab one day we were do reactions with chemicals and metals, more specifically aluminum. When sodium hydroxide was added to the aluminum there was a very slight bubbling observed (O2). Our professor told us however that there should be no reaction, but if we saw something it was reacting with the oxide (Al2O3) not the metal. I spoke to her after class and she told me that Drano was primarily sodium hydroxide and that it should work great for removing the oxidation. I tried it briefly and it does seem to work. Just look for the one that has sodium hydroxide listed as the main ingredient (first). She also said that the lye drain cleaners should work even better, I'll keep you all posted.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Very dangerous stuff. Be careful.

Randy

Comment

When I was a kid, we used to make hydrogen by putting aluminum foil, Drano and water in a bottle. If you then stick a balloon over the opening of the bottle, you get a hydrogen filled balloon. After filling the balloon, we would tie a knot in the balloon and attach a fuse to it. It makes a BIG BANG when the burning fuse gets to the balloon.
      Bill Murrin
      Nashville, TN
      1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
      1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
      2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
      2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
      1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
      2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Correction

You are indeed right. I did some more research and the reaction does give off H2 gas. Still, it works great. Just work in well ventilated area away from ignition sources. Sorry 'bout the miss info.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

No problem about the mis-info. I've been blowin'stuff up long enough to know a volitile combination when I see it!

Randy

Comment

Regarding my tech tip...

I posted a tech tip about Al oxidation removal with NaOH (lye). I need to mention that the Al should not be soaked in the solution for long periods of time. It does work well to remove oxidation, but if left for long periods it will continue to eat at the Al leaving deep scars and ruin your piece, like it did my grab bar. Any one got an extra?
            '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

It would be nice if this were added to the original thread
              '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hey there 81XSProject,

Took me a little while to find your tech tip, was posted in '04, and was MOVED from the "HOW TO" forum, that forum is for "HOW TO USE THE FORUMS" kind of posts...like how to post pictures, etc.!

Sorry I don't have a spare grab rail, I just got one from an 80 MNS, and it's gold toned. However, I found out that on my 79SF the mounting holes for the grab bars and the turn signal mounts, are further apart from the shock mount bolts than I thought.... compared to the 80-81s!! I'll be making some brackets to be able to mount it!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

So, just to let everyone know, while this works pretty well, don't let whatever your Al part soak for to long in the drano/lye/NaOH. I think what happens is that after the oxide reacts with the NaOH, the exposed Al becomes reoxidized over time and the new oxidation again reacts, and so on and so forth until deep scars are left. This (a 2 day soak) is how I ruined 2 grab rails. Major bummer as they seem to be getting harder to come by on the old ebay. I appologize for the irresponsible info.
                  JC
                  '81 XS1100 SH

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hey 81 and co, here's my question - coca-cola turns powdery, green grungy battery contacts clean as a whistle. Why? Normal fizzy drink dont do a thing. What's up with the coca-cola?

Comment

Well pggg, my first reaction was "here's another fake Coke story", 'cos the web is full of theories about how Coke dissolves teeth, cleans engines etc.

But, then I checked Wikipedia (the web based encyclopedia) and they say
                      One unusual use for Coke is as a rust-control substance—the phosphoric acid in coke converts iron oxide to iron phosphate, and as such can be used as an initial treatment for corroded iron and steel objects being renovated
                      Wierd.
                      Brian
                      XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
                      Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Coke also shines chrome really well, havn't tried myself but they had a episode on Myth Busters
                        There's always a way, figure it out.
                        78XS11E

Comment

Phosphoric acid eh? Wicked. Imagine what it does to your guts! Coke's great stuff for cleaning up battery terminals. Out at sea on fishing trawlers we always took cans of coke to clean up the battery banks.

Comment

It's not only great for cleaning up stuff... I've also heard that some people drink it!
                            Bizarre, huh?
                            OH!... sorry.
                            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Phosphoric acid is also included, in concentrate, with the Kreeme tank coating kit. It does a real nice job of etching the inside of the tank. Never used it on chrome.. will have to try that.

It also makes a great bug remover... used to spray it on the windshield of my bus years ago when I didn't have a bug squeegy handy.

Brian
                              Brian
                              1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                              1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                              remembering the same thing!

Comment

Working...
                              X