Oil pressure and oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pressure and oil cooler

One of the hoses between the oil cooler on my bike and the oil filter plate has formed a small leak. I decided I should replace both lower hoses. BTW, my oil cooler which I think is a kerker, has some kind of device between the oil cooler and plate which I have no idea what it does. I pulled off the hose after much effort and the hose seemed a little brittle near the ends. Also, when I squeezed the hose to pull it off, the hose stayed in the shape of the squeeze. Almost like as if I was squeezing plastic pipe.

When I read what I could off of the hose, it indicated it was for up to 200 psi. Do you need a hose able to withstand that much pressure or could I go to one more suitable for fuel pressure. That would be hose rated for up to 50 PSI? And any idea what the thing is between the oil cooler and plate?
    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Oil Cooler Hoses

When I first start my XS with an oil pressure Gage on it, it registers between 65/70 psi. After warm up it runs 45/50 over 3000rpm and drops to 12/15 at idle hot.
    I suggest that you use better quality hose than 50psi. You may get a big surprise one day as you oil down your rear tire at 70mph.
    I replaced my original hoses with a set of stainless braided that I got off Randy Ragu.( on the list.) Looks trick and I never have to worry about bursting one at speed.
    It would make sense to me that what ever hose you use should have at least double the required pressure rating that is expected. (50/60psi) Hot and old hoses will drop the true burst pressure a lot. (I believe Steve Linderman found out the hard way. Or was it the Dragon? Someone on the list had one burst on him which oiled him and the bike down pretty good before getting stopped)
    The unknown unit between the cooler and the oil filter is likely a temperature controlled bypass. There is no reason to run the oil through the cooler until it is warmed up. In fact the engine would like the oil warmed up and easy to pump around. I do not have this bypass but at this time of year (cooler temps) I block off the front of the cooler so that it is not doing anything for me except allowing me to carry an extra 1/2 to 1 liter of oil.
    More things to ponder!
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"
    92 ZX11 Temptress

Comment

I just went to an Autozone and gave them my old hoses and told them to match them. They cut me a two lengths of new hose that was about a foot longer then I needed for each hose so I had plenty of extra to work with when mounting them. I also went to a hardware store and found all of the brass fittings to connect a pressure line up to my new dash mounted VDO Oil Pressure gauge. It works fantastic!

My oil pressure readings are identical as Ken's posted readings.

See below:

http://www.fototime.com/C6629D885A8D440/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/69496DE314A4664/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/inv/C7F6FB4EDEE8A0B

Bubba
      Bubba1954
      (aka) Shannon Koehn
      Hutchinson, KS
      http://www.fototime.com/inv/0EE87CEC5C8C774

Comment

Damn it.

I bought 2 foot of 150 PSI hose from the auto parts store and put it on the brass nipple fittings and tightened down hose clamps. Thing is leaking like an old man pissing. Why... This hose was like over $5 a foot so I thought it would be good. I believe though it is designed for fuel injectors though. Is this a bad kind of hose to use?

It seems like when I clamped down on the hose that it is squeezed so tight that it may have cut into the hose. Did I get the wrong type of hose? Any suggestions short of not using the damn oil cooler.

Comment

Cooler Lines

Get power steering hose and clamp with common sense. Gorilla clamping is going to destroy the hose. Fuel injector hose only has to with stand 35-40psi in most applications. A cold XS engine with 20/50 oil will have 50-70psi at start up.
          OR! get a hold of Randy Ragu and get trick looking SS braided hose with the neat anodized end clamps that he can provide.
          Worked for me. Looks good/trick/professional don't leak and can be ignored for ever more.
          Ken/Sooke
          78E Ratbyk
          82 FT500 "lilRat"
          92 ZX11 Temptress

Comment

Sorry to hear this friend. Not sure what type of hose they sold you and why it leaks.

I went to Autozone I told the guy that I needed hose for an engine oil cooler and took a sample of my old hose in with me. He went to a spool in the back and cut off a long section of what looks like the same oil line hose that I had. I don't have any leaks and only used one scew-type hose clamp on each hose end.

They said that they sell a lot of this hose for engine and tranny coolers added to trucks towing trailers.

Bubba
            Bubba1954
            (aka) Shannon Koehn
            Hutchinson, KS
            http://www.fototime.com/inv/0EE87CEC5C8C774

Comment

after taking off my cooler hoses off, and When i hooked them back up they leaked like a stuck pig. I know my oil cooler is working, cause it shot a good stream of oil. most hose should work, theres not much PSI on emm.

Comment

Rat, I will try again. Maybe I gorrila'd them down too much because it looks almost like I may have compressed it too much.

I think I will also eliminate the thing between the cooler and the oil plate. I have been told it is a device to block flow to the cooler until operating temp is reached. I ride mostly in South Florida. I don't worry about cold temps all that much.

Comment

Let me know if you want to sell the by-pass. Here in Colorado a temp swing of 30 - 40 degrees F during the day is common, so mornings are often quite cool when I leave for work. Have been thinking about adding the temp valve, keep me in mind.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                  X