Questions concerning removing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions concerning removing

I read here somewhere about the process of removing the reserve lighting unit or just bypassing it.I own a 78E and would like to do this.Also be able to enable the headlight on off switch.I read here where one could use relays to make the headlight brighter.Can you help me out?Thanks and take care.
    stock fine
    19.05%
    could use some help
    33.33%
    needs inproving
    38.10%
    needs a lot of help {lightning bugs are brighter}
    9.52%

The poll is expired.

Bill Harvell

It's not all that bad, but some of the problem could be in the aiming of the headlight. To find if it gets brighter by bypassing the RLU, then just run a jumper wire from the battery to the low beam port that the bulb is plugged into, either the green or yellow wire, I don't remember, and observe the brightness. Do it with the engine running. Then with the engine still running, just remove the jumper and see if the light changes any. If you have a schematic, then it should be easy to bypass the RLU.

Comment

Everything so far on my bike is stock except for the headlight witch came off of a Honda V45.The headlight wattage is 60w-55w and on a curvey road at night it is just plain scarey.When I first got this bike it had a round headlight on it{not stock}but the wattages are the same.My first XS didn`t have the brightest lights on it either.I just want to inprove the lighting as much as I can.Seems like with all the different circuts that are involved there has to be a power drain.The best way to do things is keep it simple.Thanks.
      Bill Harvell

Comment

suggest

On the XJ the headlight bulb is a removeable bulb. think it's called e-4 or something like that.Anthoo,i replaced mine with one of those hyper white bulbs man does that thing shine brite.And not all yellow looking either.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Brightness

The '78E has a fixed bulb, but in '79 and up there is an H4 which you can get from JCW in a variety of wattages from 60/55 (stock) through 100/55, 100/80 (my choice) to 130/90, which will suck your battery out from under the seat! I am running the 100/80 and properly aimed I have very few cages giving me the brights and Boy, does it ever light up the road! And the're cheap! The trick is, you won't find these in the Motocycle catalog. Look in the latest car catalog on page 138. The alternator on the XS seems to keep the battery up with the 100/80, but 130 watts is a little much. Christopher. "The Gimp"
          Christopher. "The Gimp"

Comment

Thanks.I have thought about changing to a higher wattage bulb but was concerned about the power drain.I can change the bulbs on my bike easily so that is no problem.Say a 100w-80w works best?It is worth a shot.The stock lighting is not the best but if replacing the bulb makes that big a difference I will try it.Thanks.
            Bill Harvell

Comment

Get one so bright that ocoming cages with those bright-ass blue lights will think God is coming at them... head-on

Comment

Hey there WildBill,

I, too, was disenchanted with the OEM headlight on my 81. I haven't bypassed any circuits, but I did replace my old bulb housing with all of those diffusing ripples in the front glass with a Clear Lens front, with new reflector base inside. I went fancier than the standard Clear lens converter(that is DOT approved!), and got the one with the lighted colored accent ring around it, to match my colored accent ringed aux lights I have also mounted!

They are made by Pilot, here's the JCW Link:
                Pilot Clear Lens Headlight Conversion kits:Accent Rings

I ordered the 7" round for my Special, they only come in a PAIR! JCW used to have the Plain Non-accent ringed ones as well, but didn't see them in the search list! I'm running the regular 65/55 watt bulb in the main light, and a pair of H-3's 55watt in the Aux lights, wired to the aux fuse with relay and switch on handlebars, so when I want extra night lights, have them, but otherwise I'm not draining my battery.

Are you going to the Ga. Rally, I'll be there and you can see them in person!
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

brighter lights

Wildbill.
                  I did some tests on my bike. not enough voltage to light. so i exsperimented with a relay. took voltage from 11.5 to 13.5. use a volt meter to track voltage to headlight. my bike showed very little voltage drop through rlu. their are many writings about this very problem.
                  try webbikeworld.com.
                  and maddelectrical.com.
                  try using search engines.type in headlight relays for motorcycles
                  when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
                  80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

TC thanks for the tip.I know of a auto parts place near were I live who might be able to help me.I have a retanglar headlight which is on the bike and also a round one that I can put back on if have to.I also might be able to find something else but I might have to change the lens.I would like to attend a rally but money is very tight right now.I have pretty well given up on ridding this year and have preped my bike for the winter.Maybe next year I hope. Thanks.
                    Bill Harvell

Comment

Re: brighter lights

Originally posted by graybird78
                      Wildbill.
                      I did some tests on my bike. not enough voltage to light. so i exsperimented with a relay. took voltage from 11.5 to 13.5. use a volt meter to track voltage to headlight. my bike showed very little voltage drop through rlu. their are many writings about this very problem.
                      try webbikeworld.com.
                      and maddelectrical.com.
                      try using search engines.type in headlight relays for motorcycles
                      I priced some relays for that very purpose{making lights brighter}.The relays price wise aren`t bad.I just wonder if it is worth it in your opinion.Does it make the lights brighter?Thanks.
                      Bill Harvell

Comment

wildbill. yes the relays will make the headlight brighter. I'm going to install relays this winter.
                        when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
                        80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

The headlamp on MIYAMI is pretty bright. Even brighter when SWMBO rides with. Good thing for the Vetter faring as I can adjust the aim depending on load. I thought that I had a problem years ago before I learned about the adjustment knob. I couldn't see but mabee 20 ft ahead on a dark night
                          S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                          1-big XS patch
                          1-small XS/XJ patch
                          1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                          1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                          2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                          1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                          1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Czekus21
                            The headlamp on MIYAMI is pretty bright. Even brighter when SWMBO rides with. Good thing for the Vetter faring as I can adjust the aim depending on load. I thought that I had a problem years ago before I learned about the adjustment knob. I couldn't see but mabee 20 ft ahead on a dark night
                            I keep my headlight mounting tight but not to tight.I can reach out and move it up or down as needed.The biggest problem I have is on a dark curvey road the visiablity just not good enough.I have come to close to crashing many times for the lack of seeing the road good enough{and that is on a road I know}.I don`t speed at night either.I ride at 10 to 15 mph. below posted speed limit at night.Rain and on coming traffic just makes it worse.Hopefully I will try the relays and maybe a brighter bulb and see what kind of inprovement that will make.I just want to make it better and safer.
                            Bill Harvell

Comment

You could always put a light bar with two additional driving lights. Kinda like the Hogley roadkill. I've seen this done on an XS and it looks pretty cool. If I didn't want to keep the original astetics of my bike, I would deffenetly put one on. Mabee my next project bike.
                              S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                              1-big XS patch
                              1-small XS/XJ patch
                              1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                              1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                              2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                              1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                              1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X