Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handlebars: mine might be slightly uncomfortable, but...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say "F", the GP Touring chrome, mild sweep back, not too straight!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I think I figured out the deal with my handlebars...they are NOT the originals. (I might have already been told that here, but I didn't catch it...) That is why the brake line is cut and a metal tube in crimped inline. Also, the clutch cable was frozen, and the previous owner said he replaced it right before he sold it. He said that the first one they shipped was too short, so he sent it back for another one...What a crappy deal.

Now that we're here, though, I could go with bars that could utilize these longer cables and brake line, or I could go with what should be there and have a little extra slack. Do either of those sound like a problem? The current brakeline setup makes me a little nervous, but the way I see it, its held up this long, and a problem isn't likely to develop.

Or I could get a set of bars that are a little longer, and replace the brakeline with something longer. But where would I get that? I asked around, and it doesn't seem like anybody makes them, and the local autoparts stores don''t carry, nor can they get metric rubber brake lines of varying length. The dealer said they can only get stock parts.

Kevin
      '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
      '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Contact Randy, here on this forum. He makes brake lines and can make one to your measurements.
        Bill Murrin
        Nashville, TN
        1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
        1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
        2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
        2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
        1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
        2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Brake Lines

Measure up how long of a brake line you need. Go to members at the top of this page. Search out "Randy" send him a private E-mail for what you need. He will make up a line in the length you need in stainless steel. It will cost you ap[proximately $35.00 and be far superior to any rubber brake line.
          Ken/Sooke
          78E Ratbyk
          82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

When I'm done spending money on dirt bike season, I'm going to get my bike set up with the partsnmore master cylinder and some SS brake lines from Randy -- not only because of the big "S" curve I now have in the stock line but also because it has more than 80k miles on it.

Comment

Since we are on the topic of handle bars, anybody have a set of stock '79 Special "Buck Horn" bars they want to part with.

I have a set of bars that have about the same rise as the stock bars, but kick out after the top bend about 3" more than the stock bars. I think they might be Goldwing bars. They are on my wifes's SG. She prefers the bars that I have on my SF.

whanna trade?
              DZ
              Vyger, 'F'
              "The Special", 'SF'
              '08 FJR1300

Comment

Try Mike's XS for Special bars.

Comment

Working...
                X