Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Handlebars: mine might be slightly uncomfortable, but...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handlebars: mine might be slightly uncomfortable, but...?

My dad sat on my '81 XS11H (Venture) and started bitching about what a piece of crap it was. He said sell it, try to make a buck, and get something good. His major complaint was the handlebars...he said he didn't feel like he could "take evasive action (sp)" if he had to. I felt that the bike was easy to manuver, at least than my mom's Hardly Driveable Sportster 883 (the handlebars turn into bricks at highway speeds...really stiff...I don't think its my technique, I've tried everything I can think of [hard lean, sharp twist of the bars, etc.], but without fail, I can hardly make it from one side of the lane to the other (quickly))

Anyway, the handlebars do feel a little too "both pointed right at you" to me. I thought I'd post a picture and see if I can get any suggestions on changes (pivot up or down) or if most people change out these bars. Honestly, I don't think they are great, but they certainly function okay, except for maybe at left lock when you're using the clutch (angle of hand and arm).

Do tfm3 and I have the same bars? Does anybody else have the same bars as me? Do you like them? Does anybody have any "more comfortable" extras?

My bars:

tmf3's bars:

Thanks all, and I hope you don't mind me using the pic, tfm3!

Kevin
    '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
    '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

My prediction of tfm3's reply:

"Safe is where you're comfortable and maneuverable. If it doesn't fit,don't fight it,fix it. Ridden many a mile on a borrowed bike that didn't fit right. Not pleasant. More to the point, not safe."

I guess I'll have to do a little more riding before I can determine exactly what I want (only have done the ~30 mile trek home....mostly straight).

I'd still like to hear opinions on what other bars work well, and how other people like these bars, and what adjustments are helpful. I'm 5'11" just for reference (and ~150lbs)

OTOH, the clutch thing might not be a problem on a bike that you don't have to ever-so-gently feather the clutch so it won't die. It is running pretty well now...now I gotta finish doing the brakes (stupid dad, "lets clean out the master cylinder with some fuel oil! It usually cleans stuff well"...the only thing is that it isn't compatible with brake fluid! the two seperate like oil and water...I told him IDK if thats a good idea, just like adjusting the fuse clip, doh. The way I figure it, brake fluid and water mix (brake fluid absorbs water) and water and fuel oil don't mix, so shouldn't that tell you about brake fluid and fuel oil? I tried to tell him about it in terms of polar and nonpolar molecules, but I suppose that was a wee bit too complicated, lol) <--now if thats not the longest parenthese ever...where was I? Oh yeah, now that it'll go, I have to make it stop! The clutch still needs adjusting, too, though.

hmm, off to read the Iliad...

Comment

Those bars look like the ones on my 79 special. My 79 standard has much lower and more turned out bars. As for the other post about the m/cyl pointing up, the special has a m/cyl mounted at an angle to sit level. I think the XJ has too, but that cyl only operates one brake disk.
      put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
      79 F (Blueballs)
      79 SF (Redbutt)
      81 LH (organ donor)
      79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
      76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
      rover has spoken

Comment

New Bike

Get what ever mixture you have in the master out PDQ. Fuel oil is petroleum based and will attack the rubber cups etc. inside the cylinder. If it gets down to the seals on the calipers you will be rebuilding them to!
        The rubber components in the brake system are natural rubber they will swell up way out of shape and start to disintegrate very very quickly. Hope it is not to late already.
        Handle bar positioning is a personal thing. I have sat on a few specials with those big buckhorn bars, even rode one once. Felt extremely awkward to me. I did not feel comfortable at all. If you can find a set of bars off of a a standard you would feel a lot more in control. You could also go to a bike shop with a selection of different bars and take some outside, sit on the bike with the various bars and see what feels best to you.
        For me, I would want something that did not force me to lean to far forward putting a load on my wrists. Also want the hand grips positioned so that the wrists/hands are at a comfortable angle for long periods of time.
        Your Dad was right on the bars but about as far off base on brake cleaning fluids as he could be. Rubbing alcohol is a good cleaner for internal brake parts.
        Ken/Sooke
        78E Ratbyk
        82 FT500 "lilRat"
        Good looking bike by the way. Looks like the PO took care of it.

Comment

I had bars from a standard on my Special when I bought it. I rode it that way for a while, even took a long trip. No sir, I didn't like it. I replaced it with pull back Special bars and I am more comfortable now.

It's all a matter of personal comfort. What suits me may not suit you. If you don't like the bars, change them.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

There are dozens of different style handlebars available, the trick is being able to try them out first. I'm currently using LTD style bars on my Special, which I like, but wouldn't mind a little more pullback. They are easier to maneuver than the original buckhorn bars.
            Robert
            79 SF

Comment

I thought my Dad was the only one with super duper helpful ideas.

I bought a set of bars from JC whitney, looking at the web page I think it was model (sKU) ZX025143A. The bars go out wider and seem more comfy. My wrist would get sore on those straight back ones, which reminds me, Anyone want a set of pull backs?

I took the measures they have and bent a coat hanger to approximate same shape/size and then sat on the bike to see how it would feel. By the way, my Dad was telling me to save the $25, put the bar in a vise and use a BF pipe to bend the old bars into the position I wanted. I love the guy but man is he tight with a buck.
              I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Gee, I hope my master cylinder rubber components are okay! Go figure, we went ahead and started bleeding the system, but it has been sitting for a while...live and learn...to ask on XS11.com before doing anything that might be harmful.

I'll try to get somewhere where I can try some 7/8" bars out...There are some dealers around...Harley seems to have lots of parts...the Yamaha place doesn't seem to have a lot around (like handlebars and shiny chrome bling bling), but I could check them anyway. The coathanger idea is a good one...if I can't find some way to try things around here, I'll probably attempt that!

LOL, RS Thornton, your dad is a great one too, huh? I'm usually happy for the help, but sometimes he seems to take over the project (most of the time, actually)! It sounds like my dad is just the opposite as far as money...he is usually more than happy to spend money on something, and usually gets multiples just in case one doesn't work out, or "one for next time", or "a couple extras...its good to have a few of these around!" LOL The problem with that is storing it all too... Oh well, he has good intentions, and I try to never make him feel bad for any of these mistakes.

Ah well, it'll all work out eventually...

Kevin

Comment

Well nobody anwered the "evasive manuever " part. It's called
                  " counter steer " Chuggin down the highway at 60 and have to make a quike manuever to the left, A slight pull to the right on the bars and your done with you quike manuever. Don't pull to much or you'll go down ( Not good unless your into that kind of stuff ) While riding, practice this manuever, just a slight pull either way and you'll know what I mean.
                  Harley uses 1" bars. Jap uses 7/8"
                  S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                  1-big XS patch
                  1-small XS/XJ patch
                  1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                  1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                  2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                  1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                  1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Re: Handlebars: mine might be slightly uncomfortable, but...?

I have an 81H "venture." I can tell you that the other standard bars will not fit because of the height of the model H tank. I am sure that you can find a set of bars that will work without being the xs11 special wheelbarrel handles! I put a set of those on one of my standards, hoping for pullback riding position, but I got the "foosball" wrist syndrome...very painful during a long ride. I took some measurements of the H bars and made a drawing. I will send it to you if you want. One of the problems with shopping for bars is to make sure your cables and brake lines will be long enough! PS, the best way to fush out old brake systems is to use clean brake fluid.

Originally posted by CRXSi90
                    My dad sat on my '81 XS11H (Venture) and started bitching about what a piece of crap it was. He said sell it, try to make a buck, and get something good. His major complaint was the handlebars...he said he didn't feel like he could "take evasive action (sp)" if he had to. I felt that the bike was easy to manuver, at least than my mom's Hardly Driveable Sportster 883 (the handlebars turn into bricks at highway speeds...really stiff...I don't think its my technique, I've tried everything I can think of [hard lean, sharp twist of the bars, etc.], but without fail, I can hardly make it from one side of the lane to the other (quickly))

Anyway, the handlebars do feel a little too "both pointed right at you" to me. I thought I'd post a picture and see if I can get any suggestions on changes (pivot up or down) or if most people change out these bars. Honestly, I don't think they are great, but they certainly function okay, except for maybe at left lock when you're using the clutch (angle of hand and arm).

Do tfm3 and I have the same bars? Does anybody else have the same bars as me? Do you like them? Does anybody have any "more comfortable" extras?

My bars:

tmf3's bars:

Thanks all, and I hope you don't mind me using the pic, tfm3!

Kevin
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

You're more than welcome to use any pics I submit folks; unfortunately photodump seems to have taken a dump. I'll figure it out tomorrow- wiped out after Steamboat Springs. Photos and report forthcoming. [500 miles of Awesome!-let's start there....]
                      Last edited by tfm3; 09-10-2004, 12:35 AM.
                      '81H
                      '77 GS750
                      '80 ATC 200
                      '79SF [stolen]

Comment

I have some Bike Master Daytona bend handlebars on my 1981 XS1100 LG. They're very inexpensive. Here is a link to a page where you can see what they look like:

http://store.azmusa.com/knclubhanbla.html

For my LG, the cool thing is they come in black, which matches the color of the OEM bars.

You will have some issues with clutch cable and brake line length, as well as the reservoir angle that was already mentioned.

Comment

photobucket test-tfm3's bars

'81H
                          '77 GS750
                          '80 ATC 200
                          '79SF [stolen]

Comment

I thought something was up with handlebars. My '79 Standard's bars look just like yours, CRX. The real clincher was finally realizing that my master cylinder is pointing to the sky! Looks like I need either a set of bars for a Standard or a MC for a Special.
                            '79 XS11F Standard

Comment

By the way, which of the bars found at the link above most closely match the Standard's handlebars?
                              '79 XS11F Standard

Comment

Working...
                              X