No announcement yet.

remove key while running...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have me convinced! I think I'll get one to stash on the bike, and one to leave at home. I hope that the hardware store has a blank that will work, otherwise I'm sure it will cost a lot for a stupid key from Yamaha! I think I'll oil up all my locks in hope of minimal wear!

I guess if it stops working all together, I'll drill the ignition out so you can turn it with a screwdriver, and take the main fuse with me. probably better security anyway! Then again, so is having a ratty, ugly one like mine. but once it gets running, I"m planning on loving it!

Kevin
    '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
    '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

My '79 was as ratty as it gets-needed valves,carbs,tires,paint,the works. Buggers nicked it anyway. Must've taken a whole gang to lift it onto a pickup or something.Haven't had any luck with hardware stores finding blanks for either the GS or the 11H-gonna have to go the dealer route for both, I'm afraid.Hate the prospect of buggering my own ignition because I was too careless to carry duplicates.
      '81H
      '77 GS750
      '80 ATC 200
      '79SF [stolen]

Comment

If you take a working key to your local mom/pop key maker, I'm quite sure that they will be able to make whatever keys you want.
        I found that the hardware stores ( Ace, Home depot, ETC ) only have the most used, popular keys of today, with a computer that tells an inexpierienced kid how to insert the blank into the automatic key maker. These machines, computers, and blanks are not compatible with our needs.
        Also, they should be able to make a key using the key code numbers on the lock, switch, key
        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
        1-big XS patch
        1-small XS/XJ patch
        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

getting an extra key

I shoulda said. Finding the correct key blank in the local hardware store is not likely. Go to a proper locksmith. They will have (or be able to get) the correct blank and will cut a key to match the one you take in for $2.50.
          If your key is lost they can cut you a key just from the number on the lock but they'll charge you $20 or so.
          Get the flat metal key rather than the plastic headed one if you can because they fit better in your billfold.
          Fred Hill, S'toon.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
          X