remove key while running...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remove key while running...

Can anyone else remove the key while the engine is running? I had the key turned on, and it was also running, something it isn't now, but I started to pull the key, and surprisingly, it came! I didn't pull it out, because knowing my luck, it wouldn't let me put it back in.

Just wondering what causes this...

What is supposed to keep the key in? I wonder if somebody drilled it out to steal it or something. I'll have to try starting it with a screwdriver
    '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
    '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

It's not supposed to come out unless in the off or park position.
    There's always a way, figure it out.
    78XS11E

Comment

Park? My dirtbike has that, but I don't remember seeing it on this...is that to the left or right of on and off? I'm guessing right. That would make it: off--on--park

I'm wondering if the cluster or something isn't original...The only thing that made me think that is the electric speed sensor pickup on the front wheel, and the little magnets or whatever around the wheel. The bracket looks cheezy, or I never would have thought anything of it. I want to look into that further.

Comment

Crap

I said park instead of lock. Sometimes I wonder about me.
        78XS11E

Comment

Well, in that case, I never got lock to work for me either!

it goes: lock--off--on

right?

and there is something weird with pushing in or pulling out the key...

Push in and turn to the left to get to lock? It doesn't go. I wonder if something can get seized or something.

On the locking note, I found the Yamaha chain that is key matched with the ignition! It doesn't look like something that good chain cutters wouldn't get through, but it is still a cool item to have!

And you don't need to wonder about you, I need more wondering. Sometimes I'm doing something, walk away, and forget what I was doing...or something like that. Oh well, it all gets done eventually.

Kevin

Comment

Fairing

If your running a fairing, the mirror stem hits the windsheild, if you have a radio mounted in it the clutch handle hits the speaker before you can get it locked. You turn the bars to the right and push down the key to lock. By the way I had something very important to say but I now I wonder what it was?
            78XS11E

Comment

I have a fairing and radio...so basically I can't use that feature, right? Hmm, maybe I'll just have to lose the faring and trunk some day....maybe the hard bags too...I'm always up for a change. I like the wind protection though...I'll keep it like it is for now.

Oh yeah, and even if you are losing it, you know us XSives will always be by your side.

Comment

Key Prob.
                Ok, here's the deal. If I'm not sadly mis-shapen... inside the lock cylinder, there are several spring-loaded gates, that when you place the key in, they move into different positions, based on the points and valleys of the individual keys., allowing the cylinder to spin in the lock case. When you pull the key out again, they spring back to their original position, the ends of them protruding out past the cylinder into a channel in the case, locking it. What has happened is that your key in worn, or the gates are worn. The key is still sufficiently intact to accurately activate the gates to the correct position, but one of the keys, one that usually locks the key into the lock is worn down. As long as the key works, you should have no probs. But... If eventually it gets hard to turn the key, it's time for a new ignition lock, before the key no longer functions and leaves you stranded somewhere. As for the key falling out of the lock, that would only happen if you flip the bike, and then... who cares; all things considered. On the subject of keys..... (I may have read this on this site somewhere so I hope the original author forgives me), it's a good ideier to have a spare key taped to your wiring harness somewhere with electrical tape, for those "just in case's"
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

When I ride ( doesn't matter how far ) I've got one key in the switch and one key in my pocket. Cheap security.
                  S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                  1-big XS patch
                  1-small XS/XJ patch
                  1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                  1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                  2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                  1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                  1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Made a few changes recently- got rid of radio module and lowered handlebar [personal preferences] ; locks easily turned all the way left. Key stays fixed in start/run mode.
                    '81H
                    '77 GS750
                    '80 ATC 200
                    '79SF [stolen]

Comment

mine turn on and off with about any type of key or screw driver...UNLESS you put it all the way to the lock position then the key must be used to unlock it...
                      Shawn
                      78 XS1100E "Black Rat"
                      78 XS1100E Parts
                      www.hotrod1972.com

Comment

Interesting stuff...I suppose it would be wise of me to get a copy of the key. Can you get them at hardware stores and such, or are generic Yamaha key blanks not available? Maybe it'd even lock in while on if they squared it off right, or something.

It is good to know all this info, thanks guys!

Oh, btw, clean unit, tfm3....the seat is the only thing that needs work, but I can certainly look past that for all the flaws on my bike...the seat is the only decent thing, and even that isn't perfect.

Comment

Spare keys are always a good idea to have just in case. A good thing to know, however, is that little four digit code on the lock cylinders can tune a locksmith in to make a factory copy of the key. In short if you lose your only key, or want to play a nasty trick on one of your buddies, keys can be made without keys.
                          I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
                          //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

Comment

Much obliged,CRXsi90. P.O. was second owner, bought it off someone who was too timid when it was 1 year old, garage stored and mechanic maintained it's entire life. Thought I'd won the lottery when that one fell into my lap. [$900 cash.]
                            '81H
                            '77 GS750
                            '80 ATC 200
                            '79SF [stolen]

Comment

Keys

Hi Kevin,
                              my XS11SG is new to me and has been seriously PO'd.
                              I can pull the key out after it's turned on and it'll start & run. It can also be turned on with a screwdriver. I'd say your ignition is worn or has been jimmied or both.
                              Still and all, passers by don't know this, right?
                              You need four keys (or four sets of keys if your gas tank has a different lock)
                              Normal use key on a snap-latch that clips to your helmet strap buckle so you always know where it is.
                              Spare key in your billfold.
                              Emergency key taped to the inside of the right-hand side-cover for use if someone steals both your helmet and your billfold.
                              Last-ditch key in your sock drawer at home.
                              To keep a fifth key in a safety deposit box would be to reveal an anal-retentive tendancy.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X