80 Xs11sg Carb Mods Jets ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 Xs11sg Carb Mods Jets ?

Oops. Previously posted this on the wrong forum.

I have been going through so many threads on various forums that I am getting light headed. I plan to replace the air box with Emgo pods along with replacing the Octypus.
    Currently the carb (BS34 Mikuni) has 110 mains and 42.5 pilots (yes they ARE 110's). Pipes are stock.
    I need to mail order jets (local bike shop gets 3X price I can get them for on the NET) questions...
    1-What is my best bet on jets to get?
    2-Both mains and pilots?
    According to the jet FAQ on this site, I need one size up on each. However, I have read so many thngs from various threads, I am not sure this is the best way to go for this bike.
    Any help out there?

Hey there Stan,

I didn't mean to make you move your thread, just that you stood a better chance of someone seeing it here in the Tech Talk section. Sorry, forgot to mention, I'm still running my OEM Pilot jets, partly because they were so corroded in place, tore up the heads trying, decided to leave them, and last year I had the pilot screws adjusted to 3.5 turns out, and they were TOO RICH, didn't show up at sea level, but got to altitude during rally in NC., and they bogged up terribly, only had essentially WOT and NOT!!

Turned them back to 2.5 turns, and they worked like a charm, both at sea level and altitude. So my vote is to leave the pilot jets stock and just adjust then screws as needed!

For those who didn't read my other reply, I suggested going to 115 mains at most!

HTH?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

80 Xs11sg Carb Mods Jets ?

By backing the mains out 2.5 turns, how is this best accomplished? Shims? My concern is that they would vibrate farther out or in if they are just turned out 2.5 turns.

BTW. I used to be totally ignorant of carbs, but am learning a lot about them from this site!!

Comment

mains

you did mean piolets didn't ya? Mains do not turn in or out.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Yes Chevy and Stan,

I had mentioned the Pilot Screws in the paragraph above and didn't make any other reference to the mains, so I didn't think I made an "ambiguous antecedent", something I remembered from English class..

On your 80Sg, Stan, the Pilot Screws(not the jets) are adjustable screws on the TOP of the carb bodies, right next to the manifold mounting, however yours may still be hidden under little brass seals/caps!? You have to drill those to remove them, then you can have access to the adjustable screws beneath them.

The Pilot and Main jets do just screw down snug, on the underside of the carbs, as you have learned.

"Soon, grasshopper, you will be ready!"
          TC.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

sheeres,

your idle screws will not "jiggle" in and out because they are under tension of a tiny spring that wraps around them. when cleaning, be careful not to lose these little buggers when turning the carbs upside-down in the palm of your hand and shaking them out. (tip: shake out one pilot screw at a time when doing thorough cleaning)

also, when seating the idle screws to begin counting your turns out, do not overtighten! they have a very tiny and fragile point on the end that can get stuck to the aluminum of the carb-body and break off upon your attemp to break them free on your first back-turn. when that happens, you are a very long way from a smoothe starting and smoothe idling bike.

stal87

Comment

sheeres,

I read all of that stuff on the individual air filters and increasing the main jet size. Then I bought the Emgo pods figuring that I would have to go to larger main jets and get more power. Didn’t work that way. They were more restrictive than the stock air box. My bike, which ran a little rich before I made the change, ran way too rich with the pods. I would have had to go to smaller main jets. If my pods will fit your bike I’ll sell them to you cheap.

While the stock box is a pain to get on, or off, and restricts access to the carbs it does provide quite a bit of air with a K&N air filter (put on by PO, don’t know what the stock filter was like). I think the Japs put a lot of thought into the design of that box. There is essentially four velocity stacks built into it and I wouldn’t be surprised if the length and size of the intake snorkel, that goes up under the set, isn’t design to actually provide a small increase in pressure (above atmospheric) just as an intake valve opens.

Still hate working with it.
              #1 ’79 XS11 Special
              #2 ’79 XS11 Special
              '97 V-Max
              '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

Working...
              X