Good deal from Dealer?!?!?!??!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good deal from Dealer?!?!?!??!

One of the things I haven't set myself up to do yet is change tires. So I went and had a new rear tire put on by the dealer. Said it would take 2 days to get the tire and take them 2 days to get around to putting it on. I mentioned something about it having a tube and beadlocks. Guy at counter didn't really seem to care what I was talking about. Anyways I go back there on Fri to pick it up. Different guy at counter says "Oh your the guy who brought that wheel in." He said that when he took it into the shop everyone who saw it tried to look busy so they didn't have to be the one to work on it. Guy at counter continues to tell me that it took them 1.5 hours to change the tire. That would be $82.50 in labor!!!! But then he says we don't have the heart to charge you that much so we'll just charge you for a 1/2 hour. Much better deal. What they ended up doing, I think, was putting a tubeless tire on, no tube, and putting the rimlocks back in. The guy who did said its been a real long time since he did wheels like that, that's why it took him so long.

I still don't like going to the dealer, but at least I don't feel like they are completely trying to rip me off.
    Kevin
    '79 XS1100 w/ Sidecar "SOLD"
    [URL=http://webpages.charter.net/kbhahn/sidecar1.html]My Webpage[/URL]

YIKES!!

Not to mention the possibility of losing air through the rim lock holes, those rims were never designed to hold air.

Kevin, If I were you, I'd verify right now what they did. Putting a tubless tire on a tube rim without a tube can be dangerous.

Randy

Comment

Not this again. Everybody says something different. I'm just gonna leave it.
      Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by sidecarKev
        Not this again. Everybody says something different. I'm just gonna leave it.
        Yeah, you're right, just leave it... it can't be too important, that air in the tires thing.
        Brian
        1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
        1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
        remembering the same thing!

Comment

Ok I'll take a closer look at it tonite. But I do know I wasn't charged for a tube and the old one is in the back of my truck with the old tire.
          But then again air is pretty much free so if I need more I know where to get it.
          Kevin

Comment

Hi,

Totally agree with Randy: could be very dangerous !
            I just hope for you they've put a tube... ...and forget to charge

This is specified in workshop service manual:
            "Never use tubeless tyre on a tube type rim"

Also printed in the rim aluminium:
            "Not suitable for tubless"
            XS 1.1 '83 German model
            XS 1100 '81
            XS 750 77 Work in progress.
            XS 500 76 Restored
            XS 250 77
            XS 360 to be restored...
            TX 750 '73
            GTS 1000
            FJR 1300 (daily use)

Comment

Hey there Kev,

I'm working on a tech tip for this very subject, there are pros and cons, not sure if you followed the thread(s) recently on this?? The thing that we seem to have found so far is that the 'TUBED" rear whee/rim has a more pronounced/wide ledge from the edge of the bead sidewall towards the center vs. the front, essentially the same size as the "Tubeless". There is a possible question as to the actual circumference of that ledge, and that's where a big part of the concern is, during a loss of air pressure, how easily or hard it is for the tire bead to slide inwards away from the rim side bead so that the bead breaks loose which will contribute to much more difficulty/loss of control of rear wheel with the rubber tire flopping from side to side, etc. vs. being held in place against the bead edge!!??

The other concern is the rim lock, it's ability to maintain air pressure over those holes without a tube, if they didn't use some additional rubber washers to ensure a tight seal!

A few folks have gotten their rims converted by Merriam Cycles, but it seems the front rims are much more different.

So, being on the rear it does pose less of a threat, and with your 3 wheel setup, you are more stable than only on 2 wheels, so it may be alright!? Just some other thoughts!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Kev! Stuff that! Swiftly tell that miserable dealer where to go! You paid them for the bloody tyre - fitting and balancing should either be free, or ten bucks max. And no waiting, they should do it there and then as you watch. Reminds me of the clowns here at the honda shop. I walk into their workshop with my wheel and new tyre. 9 o'clock in the morning, the workshop's empty, and 2 deadbeats are sitting on their as**s listening to a blaring radio. I say to them "Can you slap this tyre on for me "

The pimply faced one slowly slopes over and says "leave it here and come back at 5 o'clock"

I say "I need it done now mate"

He scowls and says " we don't do road bikes, only dirt bikes"

I won't mention what I said! I wouldn't even buy a spark plug off the bas**rds now.

Comment

Hey pgg, If I did that I wouldn't be able to get a tire changed anywhere in town. I've never been able to get it done free and I've never had it done the same day. I think I may start trying to do it myself, have very little experience with but then again how else does one learn.

Anyways I took a picture on the valve thats stickin out of my rim. I really don't know if its a tube valve or a tubeless valve. Anyone care to take a guess? I know its a little blurry but it should get the job done.

Kevin

Comment

tubless

It has a nut on it so its tubless, a tube wouldnt have a nut holding it in place ......MITCH
                    Doug Mitchell
                    82 XJ1100 sold
                    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

The tube that came out of it had a nut.
                      Kevin

Comment

That rim looks like the tubless type I have on my bike. I expected to see spokes.
                        S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                        1-big XS patch
                        1-small XS/XJ patch
                        1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                        1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                        2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                        1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                        1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Spokes! Nope none of these 1100's ever had spokes, at least I think so.
                          Kevin

Comment

All motorcycle tubes that I have experience with (dirt bikes) have nuts on the valve stem. I would think that a tubeless tire wouldn't need a nut - I am at the office and don't have the bike here, but I will look when I go home.
                            Chlanna Nan Con Thigibh A So's Gheibh Sibh Feoil

Comment

I replaced the tubetype (with rimlock on rear tire) rims with newer rims marked "tubeless". The tubes used a nut on the valve stem. The tubeless stems I used (metal) have a nut too. I personally wouldn't use a rubber stem on my bike.
                              Spray some soapy water around the beadlock bolts and check for airleaks. If a tube is installed (properly) then there will be no airleaks.
                              Pat Kelly
                              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                              X