No announcement yet.

Who owns the fastest XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The skids are of the highway variety. I've had too many years on bikes to have any problems with the second type!!
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

• I've had too many years on bikes to have any problems with the second type!!
      Yeah.. but there comes a point where it is TOO many years on one and well.. it "DEPENDS" on the situation..

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

• I hope it will be my xs1200 project. pics to follow at a much, much later date.
        79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
        80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
        80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
        79 DT 100

Comment

• Fastest

My old 78 Standard is still pretty fast!! Ask the Hardley Davidson rider that attempted to come around me last week. I had her up to around 122 and had more to go but had to get off the throttle due to a bad curve in the road. I'll bet the Hardley guy feels reallllly bad about getting outrun by a fat old grandpaw on a Jap bike!!
          78 XS1100E Standard
          Coca Cola Red
          Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
          http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

• MPH ??? sheesh you guys ......

well I just *ucked up the conversion and voted wrong - I have done 215klm/hr and was slowly overhauled by mates on their Laverdas.... chain drive - gotta admire it - easy to fiddle ratios -
            215 is fast though - mine is a naked bike and at that speed the wind is fierce -
            Didn't stop me from doing it again and again and again.......
            mmmmmm now about that chain drive conversion....
            Bryan H

"Conan, what's best in life?"
            "To crush your enemies, drive them before you and the lamentation of their women"

Comment

• Xs1100 vs hd

My 78 XS1100E (macho maroon) with jet kit and 4 into 1 supertrap (my own personal mechanic of 20+ yrs working on bikes) has my old standard running great. I ride 3 to 4 times a week even in the winter (as long as no snow or salt on roads), and I also have a 2006 HD streetglide that I tour on. My old yammie kills the harley davidson in performance and handling and I get more thumbs up and compliments on the old beast than I do with the chromed out Street Glide. I enjoy riding my XS1100E the best followed by my Yamaha XT225. I think I would have to say I probably have one of the fastest XS1100's around since Bob jones and my mechanic and myself spent well over (a total of two weeks) tweaking the old beast to run like a raped ape. Hope I see you on the road if your in the Fredericksburg VA area, see ya Morgzilla.

Comment

• Hi, new list member here (but long time XS owner; I bought my '78 new).

I saw 142 mph indicated one time. Long flat straight, zero traffic and it still was pulling when I chickened out, although speed gain at that point was very slow. I have a W/S mounted too, so without that and a good 'rider tuck' there probably would have been more. But the speedo is a bit optimistic, so who knows what the actual speed was...

This was when the bike was only a year old, and I was much younger and dumber.
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

• fastest XS1100

I have been aprox 142 mph on my new 1987 CBR1000 HURRICANE, and a little less on my new 1983 Honda CB1100F, but I think the fastest I have been on the old Yamie was aprox 124 mph. I was told by Bob Jones that he and his wife went over 135 mph years ago( another Bob Jones story), and I believe he did, he was not scared at all. I do believe of all the bikes I have had, the Hurricane, CB1100F, 1100 bandit, Vmax etc, that my XS1100E still has the best roll on acceleration of the bunch. Back in the day when the CBX, kZ1300, and GS1000 came out, some (CBX), was a little quicker in the 1/4 mile but the XS11 still ruled in any roll on competition. Talk to ya later Morgzilla.

Comment

• distance over time taken

no idea of top speed,comfortably sits on 210/215 kph taking approx 17 mins to travel 100 klms, we do have the straight roads with bugger all bends,
                    never ride faster than your gaurdian angel
                    can fly

1981 rh 5N5
                    MIDNIGHTSPECIAL
                    1188cc
                    4 into 1 pipes with a transac muffler,
                    as the motorcycling gods intended everything else stock std

http://s856.photobucket.com/home/steptoexs11
                    http://steptoexs11.webs.com/
                    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

1982 vf750 sabre

Comment

• This guy in NH that I have working on my SH must have one of the faster XS's I've heard of. He bored it out to 1500 and put a turbo charge on it. He also has one of those wide, flat drag tires on the back. Mike, aka "Viper".

He asked me if I wanted him to do my SH like that? "HELL NO!!!", I said. "I enjoy cruising along like an old man."

Don
                      Last edited by Ken Talbot; 03-29-2009, 05:54 PM.
                      currently own;
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                      2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

• that would make it quick

off a standing start, or straight line, don,t know that I,d like to be on it for to long at those speeds though----pucker factor would have to be calculated before the first corner was taken
                        never ride faster than your gaurdian angel
                        can fly

1981 rh 5N5
                        MIDNIGHTSPECIAL
                        1188cc
                        4 into 1 pipes with a transac muffler,
                        as the motorcycling gods intended everything else stock std

http://s856.photobucket.com/home/steptoexs11
                        http://steptoexs11.webs.com/
                        http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum

1982 vf750 sabre

Comment

• SLOW & LOW I say..

Who cares??
                          80special w/79special motor.Never ride faster than your angel can fly!!

Comment

• This one?

click here XS 11 Drag bike not mine though fore sure, helps if you can ride it.
                            Last edited by tbishop11; 04-11-2009, 09:10 AM. Reason: ?
                            "Shop"
                            Click Here! For the latest XS11 bobber update. shopschops.blogspot.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Winterhawk View Post
                              I hope my fast days are all gone. Not sure about my newest build, Honda CR500R 1997.
                              If you're trying to get away from speed, the CR500r is NOT the bike for you!

To this day, a CR480 is the only bike I have been on that just had way... way too much power.
                              1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                              1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                              1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                              1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                              1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                              1982 XS650
                              1980 XS1100g
                              1979 XS1100sf
                              1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

• I have seen just shy of 160 on my 79 Standard, just over 9500 RPM. All tolerances taken in consideration, it was most likely about 150. I can testify that kind of speed is pushing it on the tranny. You begin to feel the gear float which translates to a very noticable and unsettling strange vibration in the footpegs. This was on a bike with less that 20,000 miles.
                                What I wasn't ready for, even though I was expecting it somewhat, was that I was nearly blown off the bike when I raised up and let off the throttle.
                                Current Stable:
                                1978 XS1100E - Beauty - Vetter Full Dress
                                1979 XS1100F - The Beast - Winter Project to Factory Full Dress
                                1979 XS1100SF - Black Sunshine - The Lucky Find
                                1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
                                WTB:
                                1981 XS1100H Venturer - Long distance cruiser.
                                1989 FJ1200 - For playing in the curves!

Comment

Working...
                                X