Who owns the fastest XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change the rear wheel

Whoever wants to be the fastest, find an xs850 rear rim/wheel, they are 18" wheels and can be fitted on an xs11. I suppose there is someone (diehard) here that will take the challenge. just make sure you have a new speed rated tire....hmmmm
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

• Re: change the rear wheel

Originally posted by xschop
      Whoever wants to be the fastest, find an xs850 rear rim/wheel, they are 18" wheels and can be fitted on an xs11. I suppose there is someone (diehard) here that will take the challenge. just make sure you have a new speed rated tire....hmmmm
      At 8500 RPM this combo would be good for 146 mph,V-Max territory if it would pull it, rpm that is.Bridgestone's tire for this combination is 27.4 inches tall versus 25.31 for my present Dunlop 130/90x16 qualifier.I bought a 17 inch wheel off E-bay and it was nice but it was for a 78 or early 79 and was a tube type wheel and I did not want to go that route,so I am still looking for a nice one.Now my search will be widened to include an 18 inch wheel for a XS 750-F as this was the only triple with the 18 inch rear wheel and the F model was the only one that was tubeless.The traffic on the interstate moves at about 80 mph these days and the Eleven is geared kinda low for hauling (large) loads which I do not do and it would be nice to have a taller gear or wheel combination to cruise those speeds at a reduced rpm,not to mention the killer top end when you need it or want it.Thanks for the tip,now I have another part to look for.
      81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

• If the bike strains to approach redline in 5th with stock gearing, the taller gearing ain't gonna increase top speed without either 1. a good tailwind or 2. more horsepower. Will even LOSE top speed in a headwind. The real advantage is a reduced rpm cruise.

Comment

• 18"

I checked E-bay and there was a rim stating 18x4.0 from a 750 triple, IS THIS POSSIBLE? I have only seen an 18x2.15 rim.......In oklahoma you could easily hit the 145mph because the tornado would be pushing you!
          MDRNF
          79F.....Not Stock

Comment

• Originally posted by pggg
            If the bike strains to approach redline in 5th with stock gearing, the taller gearing ain't gonna increase top speed without either 1. a good tailwind or 2. more horsepower. Will even LOSE top speed in a headwind. The real advantage is a reduced rpm cruise.
            Yes you are correct,a stock Eleven will not pull 8500 rpm in 5th. gear.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Hodges
              Yes you are correct,a stock Eleven will not pull 8500 rpm in 5th. gear.
              I (sort of) beg to differ.
              The one time I pushed my E on a long (5 mile) straightaway, way out in the boonies, no crossroads, I hit 9,000 RPM in 5th, 143 MPH (quick glance at the blurry gauges in front of my nose). My bike does have a Jardine 'sketti pipes' 4 into2 and K&N in airbox, jetted accordingly. I don't think these are any better than stock at high RPM.
              My stock LG (ok, superbike bars and cafe fairing) touched 135 the one time I stretched it's legs. Even at 4 am the freeway is no place to do that. Rain grooves akeit spooky.
              I really don't desire to do that again with either bike. 100MPH is plenty to satisfy my"need for speed". On occasion I have gone to 125 or so. Handlebar shake at 125 had my cheeks grabbing the seat. Of course I had to fix the problem and see if it would do it again
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

• Originally posted by Pat Kelly

I (sort of) beg to differ.
                The one time I pushed my E on a long (5 mile) straightaway, way out in the boonies, no crossroads, I hit 9,000 RPM in 5th, 143 MPH (quick glance at the blurry gauges in front of my nose). My bike does have a Jardine 'sketti pipes' 4 into2 and K&N in airbox, jetted accordingly. I don't think these are any better than stock at high RPM.
                My stock LG (ok, superbike bars and cafe fairing) touched 135 the one time I stretched it's legs. Even at 4 am the freeway is no place to do that. Rain grooves akeit spooky.
                I really don't desire to do that again with either bike. 100MPH is plenty to satisfy my"need for speed". On occasion I have gone to 125 or so. Handlebar shake at 125 had my cheeks grabbing the seat. Of course I had to fix the problem and see if it would do it again
                I didn't say mine would not pull more than 8500 RPM,I said a stock one would not.There are a few 17 inch tires available for the E model with the tallest being by Bridgestone and it measures 26.4 inches tall.Crunching the math gives a top end figure for this tire as 140 mph @ 8500rpm with the stock XS gear ratio.

Comment

• the busa and DAN don't lie

This is the speed(140mph) that the guy on the busa said I hit when I had the 17inch rear on, I don't remember what the tire brand was though. Looks like Dan is going to put the 18" on. I will be waiting patiently for your results.....Still haven't heard from anyone about the 18x2.15 or 18x 4.00 rim question...Anyone?
                  MDRNF
                  79F.....Not Stock

Comment

• I didn't say mine would not pull more than 8500 RPM,I said a stock one would not

Impressionable people might read this and do something dumb, like go out to see just how many RPM's there stocker 80G might do in 5th.

So far have not pushed 5th passed 7500. Maybe when the time/place is right

mro

Comment

• My XS cruised with 500+ mph from the U.S. to Holland.
                      That as far as I know is probably the fastest noted XS on the planet.

Actually it was at 30.000 feet in the air on a 747 freightliner.

The Dutchy
                      Freedom is speaking the longing for life when the opinions of the ages inform your experience that death is all that awaits you.
                      http://www.danasoft.com/sig/TheDutchy.jpg

Comment

• My XS cruised with 500+ mph from the U.S. to Holland.
                        .. ok, here we have it, this guys XS is the fastest hands down.

Comment

• I dunno, that turbocharged XS dragster looked pretty fast....

.....naaaahhhh.
                          Kristoffer
                          "Take apart yer carbs!"
                          1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
                          1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by GNEPIG

.. ok, here we have it, this guys XS is the fastest hands down.
                            hmm...I'm now in the planning stages of taking a turbo-charged, chain-converted midnight special with 28 inch rear tire....and dropping it from 10,000 feet.
                            1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                            1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                            http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

• endless supply

Hey MRO, there are an endless supply of "impressional" people out there. So looks like we should add a disclaimer to our posts now,"DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME".....
                              MDRNF
                              79F.....Not Stock

Comment

• ,&quot;DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME&quot;.....???

I agree.
                                My driveway is way to short for 5th gear

mro

Comment

Working...
                                X