Who owns the fastest XS11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Speed

It's been a long time, but I've probably been around 110 on the eleven. I don't remember how much more she had it's been so long.

I did have a bike that pulled 500 rpms past redline in 5th gear, and that was a 1983 GS1100 with a supertrapp pipe, jet kit, and individual K&N filters.

Nowadays 55-60 MPH is my cruise speed. My buddy on his sportster likes to go 65-70, but the riding position of the 11 wears on me at higher speeds.

Dan

PS - I'll post pictures of my GS11 if I can find them. It was one nice looking ride.
    Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

• Pics

Picture of my XS next to my GS:

Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

• Spent the last hour of work reading all the replies.... Got me all juiced up to hop on my bike and take it for a ride. I've only had her running for about 2 months now and have hit 105 easy but after taking a motorcycle safety class I just dont see me beating that out any time soon. I'm a bit of an adrinaline junkie but now I'm 30 and thinking I might need to take it a bit easy to enjoy my next 30. (isnt that a country song) Some day if I'm on a wide open, straight, well maintained road I might see how much past 105 she has. Note: she has 15K on her right now. Should have plenty of good years in her still.
        Prescott

79' XS1100 SF

Other hobbie:
        77 Blazer / rock crawler

Comment

• Hey Mud, 105 ain't that much but stoned it's fast enough. If I was you mate, I'd find an empty road with preferably a 50 knot tailwind, and see if the bike redlines in 4th, and if it does then there's a good chance it'll do it in 5th too.

Comment

• Oh, I know I'll be going past 105 some day. Just not on the small not so well maintained counrty roads I travel in my daily commute. Another one of my main concerns is the "Law" issue. Dont want a 100MPH speeding ticket! Possibly if I find a track or drag strip around here I'll for sure see what she still has in her.

The clutch slips a little too but I just put springs on order so that shouldn't be a problem soon. Also need to put in the re-jet stuff in the carbs after putting individual filters on! Always a to-do list!
            Prescott

79' XS1100 SF

Other hobbie:
            77 Blazer / rock crawler

Comment

• drag specialties 140mph+

Hey, im new here to the forum, I have a 79 xs11 standard that i customized and two years ago i took it past the speedo gage of 140mph. it was a brand new gage .however my friend was crapping his pants because he said his gauge read @135 on his hayabusa. and he didn't believe this bike could go that fast. I was still feeling th pull at that time and i let go of the throttle.....bob.
              MDRNF
              79F.....Not Stock
              80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

• Welcome to the forum, Bob. Got any pics of your bike(s) to share? There's been some past discussion on the forum about customizing the XS11 and there are some real beauties out there.
                Dennis

Comment

• pics

yes, i have the pics of my chop in the V-star thread. I am doing a mod to a pair of wheels that will make jaws drop...chop
                  MDRNF
                  79F.....Not Stock
                  80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

• Dan,
                    For some reason, your XS looks oddly similar to mine Except your paint isn't flaking off :/
                    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
                    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
                    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

• I have the fastest 1978 XS1100E in Australia. Even if it had a couple of missing wheels it would still be the fastest!

I base this reasoning on the fact that I seem to be the only Aussie in here.

Oh well, I'm off to race myself.

Bye bye.
                      Automotive Imbecile.
                      Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
                      '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
                      1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

• I am in the process of lowering my 79 XS1100 Special by some custom forks by Frank which will be 2" under and of course Progressive Shocks.
                        Motor cop

Comment

• SPEEDO ERROR

I had my 78 XS11 Standard, up close to 135.

Whats the speedometer error amount give or take 5mph I would think.. or more.

Should find someone with a speed gun.
                          Never tell yourself this will be your last bike.

1978 XS1100 E (Sold 2012)
                          2008 ZX14 (2010)
                          1978 XS1100 E (2017)

Comment

• Radar

Don't the cops on the Dan Ryan have radar guns? They'll be more than happy to tell you your speed. Right after they shine their flashlights under your drivers license. BTDT

Comment

• In 1994, shortly after acquiring my '79 Special, I took him for a sunset run on a straight road with newly restored asphalt. After what was an admittedly quick glance, followed by a double take, I laid off the throttle when I realized I was travelling at an indicated 130+ mph ( a little vibration, so I couldn't see whether it was 132 or 136). But that's as fast as He's ever gone (with me aboard) or is ever to go, even though we've done many upgrades with various components since that time. I will satisfy myself, henceforth, by staying fairly close to the posted limits (sorta) and knowing that the power is there to get over one hundred mph quickly in case I really need to make a high speed pass. (This seems to be necessary at least once on every fair weather excursion). Gotta love the XS attitude! Burl
                              '79 XS Eleven Special
                              "Dirty White Boy"
                              "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you!"

Comment

• Since the days of my Honda Hawk (1979) I have a tradition of taking my bike (any of them) over 100 MPH when the bike reaches any multiple of 10,000 miles (10 thous, 12 thous, 30 thous).
                                Sometimes takes some planning to be in the right place to do this at the right time. Fortunately these XS's get to 100 MPH and back to the speed limit pretty quickly. 600 miles to go before the LG does it's next celebration, 30,000 miles on the current speedo (+ 21,000 from original speedo). HEY! I have twice the opportunities this this bike!!!
                                Pat Kelly
                                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
                                X