• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS 1100 carb problem

I broke off a float pin leg while removing the float pin
    What can I do to save this
    carb?

I have at least one carb that does just fine with a broken goal post. It still has half a hole that the pin rests in and an undamaged goal post on the other side.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Try JB weld.
      I've used it and works well. Dremel tool to grind off excess after it's cured about 24 hrs
      XJ1100 Ruby Red
      XS1100LH "Midnight"
      1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

I feel like a big chicken. I broke one off the same way and went out and bought a set of carbs on ebay to get a new body. I was worried that the float would stick one day and gas would flood out. I paid $20 for a float last year so I guess that if I get some floats and diaphragms it will still be worth it.
        I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

You know a good machinist?

I did the same thing. Desparate, I asked a machinist coworker for his thoughts. He was able to make new posts, and attach them with a set screw drilled and taped into the carb body. With a little help from some locktight. You have to look twice now to tell that the're not original. I know most people don't know someone that can do that, but just so you know, it is possible. He put several hours of precision work into it.
          1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
          1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
          1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
          2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
          2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Working...
          X