polishing fins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polishing fins

I've been polishing the fins on my motor. Went and bought some blue magic and mothers polisher. My heavens what a time consuming project. Is there an easier way to polish the fins? Tried using 3m green pads, but it still takes as long.

Griff, Did you try an Aluminum file first. then emery cloth to fine paper then steel wool.
    "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

I haven't maybe i'll give something like that a try.

Comment

If you file a very slight bevel or an angle on the top of the fin it will give the impression of a larger fin looking down on it. More to polish with really good results.
        "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

gonna bust out the file now and give her a try

Comment

ahhh, My fins aren't smooth. I'm leaving peaks and vallies. I can see no matter what i do its gonna take awhile.

Comment

I too, am in "the polishing" mode. I have been using 400 grit, then 600 grit wet paper, with soapy water, and following-up with Mothers polish.
              Tonight I bought a polishing kit for a Dremel tool. I plan to use the various polishing tips in a small pnumatic die grinder that I have, to get between the fins etc...

I will let you know how it turns-out.
              Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Hiyas Newmaac, How does the soapy water work with the sand paper? I have used sand paper, steel wool, 3m green pads, and mothers, and blue magic(mothers seems better). It's late dont want to fire up the compressor, but i'm gonna try a few diff things hehe. Let me know how how it goes. I only have a dremel and die grinder. Thinking about cutting out little circulars out of green pads and putting them on the dremel???

Comment

Somtimes if the file isn't cleaned off regularly it can score the fins. Maybe the file is to course or something. Try keeping it clean and use light pressure.

Comment

Grifff. You don't want to use steel wool on aluminum, so I'm told.
                    Something about steel fibres sricking in the surface of the aluminum and causing early tarnishing, or something like that.

If you use wet/dry sand paper to cut through the clear coat, and remove the heavier oxidation of the aluminum, it makes for easier work to just polish with the Mothers.

Adding a little liquid soap to a bowl of water, and frequently dipping the paper seems to help the process along.

The Mothers has carnuba wax in it, so, if it is applied once or twice a year, it should not be necessary to ever put the clear coat back on.

The little buffing pads for the dremel are pretty cheap. It probably is not worth screwing around, trying to make them.

I bought a kit at Orchard Supply Hardware. It has several mandrels, different sized buffing tips, a few mini wire brushes and some polishing compound, and it only cost $12.

Good luck
                    Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

silver leaf

Hey Hey, I read a thread in another venue. Guy was using something called rub-buff silver leaf. I got a diff. brand, maybe not as good(don't know) but wow this stuff kicks ass. I think i will use it most in hard to get places. Shines right up kind of a temp buff, thread i read though he said it lasts for awhile.

Comment

Working...
                      X