Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start problem

Hi!

I have a problem starting my `82 xj maxim when its cold and not have been started for a day or more. Its start right away, but stops very often after a few seconds. Then its not firing at all. I can wait for 10-15 minutes, and then it starts and goes as it should. The sparkplugs do not get wet, so i guess it dont get gas. So i guess it is the vacuum "thing" between the carburators and gastank that dont work properly.

So my cuestion is, can i remove this vacuum"thing"? And just leed the fuel right down to the carburators? Will they overflow?

I can of course replase the vacuum"thing", but this have been doen for few years ago...
    The bike has only 15000 in milage, so i guess the vacuum is ok?

Thanks for answers

Could be the vacuum "thing"...you can check it with a mighty vac or something...it should hold and not lose vacuum. Also check the hose to it for cracks/splits/etc.

My Midnight Special would do the same...essentially, after sitting a few days, there wasn't enough gas in the carbs to start/run it long enough for the vacuum "thing" (specials have one too) to open.

The Special has a "prime" position on the petcock just for this situation. Does the xj?
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you. Yes, the petcock have one position that is named "pri"
      That should be the one i guess.

It was really stupid of me, not to try that position

Comment

Cool! Glad I could help.

When I first got mine, the PO had plumbed it wrong, and the prime position did not work. Was a real pain to start if it sat a couple days until I fixed it.
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer
        Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
        Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

fuel

this is all true,but shouldn't there be fuel enough in the float bowl to start the bike even if the thing isn't working? Had my tank off the bike today started and ran it for about 7 min ,i shut it off before it ran out of gas.Just curious.
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Someone on here posted a good pic of the float bowls with a very tiny choke hole in it that will not clean easily. Not sure if yours has it but I used a single strand of SS cable to fit in the hole in the float bowl. I think that it might feed the choke on certain bikes.
            "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Working...
            X