Standard exhaust on a Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard exhaust on a Special

Just curious. Will a 79 Standard exhaust system fit onto a 79 Special Frame?
    I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
    //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

Yes, but it won't look as good as Special pipes. The Standard pipes are parallel to the ground, and the Special pipes swoop upward.

Comment

The length between the header flanges and the head may be different. Hopefully, you can get the nuts on the studs. Maybe it is the other way around ang the studs will be extra long for your needs, in which case you may need regular nuts (long version) instead of hex-head nuts. You may have to fabricate hangers at the sides also because, I think the side brackets are different. I have not done what you are doing, but I know there are some differences.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Did the exhaust fit, then?

Ben
        1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
        1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
        1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
        1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
        1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
        1982 XS650
        1980 XS1100g
        1979 XS1100sf
        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Originally posted by ae7f
          Did the exhaust fit, then?

Ben
          I used standard headers with Harley sportster mufflers on the Mongrel. They worked great. It's not exactly what you were asking about but it's close.

I think the only difference between the bikes in this respect is there the muffler support bolts to the frame. If you did this swap, you'd probably have to add a mounting strap.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
          X