rectifier shorted??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rectifier shorted??

I have a 1981 XS1100 that shorts out every time I plug in the rectifier. It shows to be good and the white wires that lead to the stator coil show good readings too. Has anyone else seen this problem? Can the rectifier diodes short out under load?? Thanks James

Re: rectifier shorted??

Originally posted by onefunbud
    I have a 1981 XS1100 that shorts out every time I plug in the rectifier. It shows to be good and the white wires that lead to the stator coil show good readings too. Has anyone else seen this problem? Can the rectifier diodes short out under load?? Thanks James
    Diodes have been known to fail only under load but it's the exception not the rule.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

James, Have you figured-out the rectifier issue?
      I have a couple spares. If you want to pay the shipping I can send you one to swap it with.
      If it solves the problem you can mail me a few bucks. If it doesn't, well then, at least you know that it's not the rectifier that is causing the problem.

I hate electrical problems. If I can't see it...........

Let me know.
      Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Re: rectifier shorted??

Don't qoute me, but I think that the thing must be bolted to the frame to work. It is frame grounded.... There is no ground wire coming out of the wire clip. What makes you think it is shorting out?

Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

The stock regulator/rectifier grounds through the wiring harness. It may also ground to the case but I'm not sure.

Geezer

Comment

None of my xs11's do. There is a male /female clip where there is an apparent ground on one side, but not the other side...

Originally posted by Geezer
            The stock regulator/rectifier grounds through the wiring harness. It may also ground to the case but I'm not sure.

Geezer
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids
              None of my xs11's do. There is a male /female clip where there is an apparent ground on one side, but not the other side...
              The black wire from the rectifier/regulator connects to the ground wire in the wiring harness. So it looks like it grounds both ways but that's not all that uncommon. I'm pretty sure most of the Honda ones do too.

Geezer

Comment

Originally posted by newmaac
                James, Have you figured-out the rectifier issue?
                I have a couple spares. If you want to pay the shipping I can send you one to swap it with.
                If it solves the problem you can mail me a few bucks. If it doesn't, well then, at least you know that it's not the rectifier that is causing the problem.

I hate electrical problems. If I can't see it...........

Let me know.
                I'm still new here so don't know how to respond to each person...
                No, still haven't solved the problem.. Have 2 other classic bikes and
                they had shorts too but were easy to find...
                Thanks for the offer, may take you up on it if don't find the problem soon...
                Thanks Again....
                James

Comment

Re: Re: rectifier shorted??

Originally posted by skids
                  Don't qoute me, but I think that the thing must be bolted to the frame to work. It is frame grounded.... There is no ground wire coming out of the wire clip. What makes you think it is shorting out?

Thanks for the response...
                  I checked it on and off the frame. The rectifier part has a red, black, and 3 white wires.
                  None of the wires show to be grounded to the outside of the case so guess it's grounded
                  threw the wiring harness.
                  The reason I think it's shorted is because when I turn on the key with it unplugged there's
                  12v going to the fuse panel. But when I plug it in the voltage drops down to about 1 1/2
                  getting to the hot side of the fuses & the battery drains very quickly.

I'm open to any ideas... LOL

Thanks Again...
                  James

Comment

Re: Re: Re: rectifier shorted??

Thanks for the response...
                    I checked it on and off the frame. The rectifier part has a red, black, and 3 white wires.
                    None of the wires show to be grounded to the outside of the case so guess it's grounded
                    threw the wiring harness.
                    The reason I think it's shorted is because when I turn on the key with it unplugged there's
                    12v going to the fuse panel. But when I plug it in the voltage drops down to about 1 1/2
                    getting to the hot side of the fuses & the battery drains very quickly.

I'm open to any ideas... LOL

Thanks Again...
                    James

Should have added here that this is with the fuses removed and headlight unplugged...

Comment

Working...
                    X