Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bread tie test?

Hello,

What is the bread tie tiest and how does it work?

covers

also looking for a left side cover for an 1100 xs

Comment

On our bikes, we have four independent carbs. It's important that they are synchronised so that all cylinders are pulling equally.

For the bread tie bench synch, you take a twist tie and strip off the (plastic or paper) wrapping off and use it as a feeler guage to set all the butterflies at the same level.

This technique is a bench synch only and is intended only as a starting point that "should" get your bike started. A real vacuum synch will be required afterwards to get optimal performance.

This was the short-short version. Let me know if you want the short version, or even she standard version. I'll leave thte long version to the others.

-Justin

Comment

bread tie

Is anyone does have a longer version i would appreciate it.

Comment

See here:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88

-Justin

Comment

thxs

Yeah this will help me out alot until i can get some gauges thxs Justin

Comment

The bread tie sync can get your carbs pretty close, but it will definitely give you a very high initial idle speed - likely in the range of 2500 rpms depending how thick your bread tie wire is.
              Ken Talbot

Comment

You can adjust by sight - cover exactly half of the fuel pinhole in each carb.

Comment

young eyes

pgg,

you still have a young pair of eyes to see half of a fuel pin hole.
                  Robbin
                  78 E Free Ride
                  I feel the need for XSive Speed.

Comment

encouragement for bread tie method

All I've done to my carbs after I rebuilt them is use the bread tie method for bench synch and my bike runs very well. The initial idle speed was high but I backed it down to @ 1100. I'm not advocating skipping a proper vacuum synch, but the bread tie method should get you on the road enough to know that this thing will tear your arms off.

Tom B.

Comment

ty

Good i'm looking foward to trying it when i get time. Bike does have extreme power. My bike seems to take a second or two soon throttle before it really kicks in

Comment

Rob, I was being kind - I was going to suggest leaving only one third of the hole open! Maybe my young 43 y/o eyes are O.K. still?

Comment

The seemingly 'accepted' bread tie sync in my opinion would be far from satisfactory. It exposes all 3 pilot circuit holes whereas only a fraction of one hole should be opened at idle. With a bread tie sync, my bike would be revving its guts out.

If a bike idles steadily low after a bread tie sync, either the fuel jets are wrong, the float level's wrong, or the air pilot jets are too big. The motor's liable to run crappy below 3000 or so, as it won't get a smooth gradual transition between idle circuit and pilot circuit.

Comment

Pre Sync

Hi Pgg, I have done several Pre Syncs with the bread tie . They all improved the performance of the bikes and the idle has to be set back down a little after your done. You are not setting the idle you are trying to get all the butterflys at the same setting. Anyway i find it works great, just my humble opinion, It is also suggested that this does not replace a vacum or mercury sync, which should be done after you have your bike pretty well set up the way you want it. Have a great weekend. ...............MITCH
                            Doug Mitchell
                            82 XJ1100 sold
                            2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                            2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                            1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                            47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

I do something very similar but I use a strand of copper wire so I won't scratch things up.

Geezer
                              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X