Sad Day in Silicon Valley! XS1100LG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad Day in Silicon Valley! XS1100LG

Well I never thought it would come to this. This valley is really turning into the pits these days after the last few bad years in the tech industry.

Thanks to all the nice suggestions and words of support from all of you here regarding the rehab of my beautiful Midnight Special (see my post of the 22nd).

I learned today that I've gotta part with it though and so I thought I'd put it out there for ya'll first. Czekus21, you asked to let you know if I was going to sell, so I'll update that post with this info so you'll get a reminder email.

Here's a pic of it's current status: http://www.geocities.com/gmlcp/80XS1000LG.html

I was wrong about the mileage it has almost 8000 and has been sitting mostly for the last four years, only cranked on occasion, but not ridden within the last three since it developed a miss after warming up. It has new tires but as I inspected yesterday there is tiny cracking and since I know nothing of that, I would imagine the new owner would replace.

Oh ya, by the look of the pattern, a cat pissed on the front rotor but all else is primo. Rubber on plug cup edges is cracked...

Anyway, am in the South SF Bay.

Let me know if you're interested.

Still got all the original sales documentation, owner's manual, etc.
    On the road!

Bummer Dhost, Maybe you should consider moving.....From the looks of Reno in the last few years, California may soon be the baron wasteland, and Nevada will be the booming west coast commerce state. The Technology here is still a bit lax. This is, after all, still a redneck state. But sorry to hear you have to part with the xs......I'm sure you'll find a good home for it though.
    Matt
    1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
    1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
    1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
    2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
    2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

I agree Drag, I would consider moving before giving up my XS
      "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Sell today, cry tomorrow.

Fer Chrissake Dhost,
        for what you are asking it just ain't worth selling; these days a grand won't even buy you an all nighter with a clean naughty lady, let alone a month's groceries. There must be someplace you can stash the thing until you get resettled?
        Fred Hill, S'toon.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Dhost,
          I just replied to your other thread, Then got thinking. If you don't mind the drive, I've got a brother that lives in Reno, and a sister that lives in Carson City. I'm sure that a phone call from me would open a door for you. You could keep your bike, Have a place to work on it, AND get a little tech help ( two heads are better then one ) from dragxs. Thing is though, That's a pretty good drive but you'd be amazed at what you can accomplish over a weekend
          As I said in your other thread. I won't be able to make it out there for quite some time. I'll be lucky to make it out for any west coast rallies next year. Money's tight trying to get paid up on bills, ( credit cards, just gotta love em ) and I've been working alot of long hours. Makes for long nights in the garage.
          S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
          1-big XS patch
          1-small XS/XJ patch
          1-XS/XJ owners pin.
          1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
          2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
          1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
          1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

What is it you were looking to do Dhost? Do you just want to get it rolling, or did you want to do a healthy restore? I was just thinking that it doesn't sound like it's too far from being roadworthy. If all you need is a place to put it under cover, and someone to do some light wrenching, I might be able to help. My bike is pretty well done, and the other 80 special I picked up for a friend in Feb. is now in his hands. I'm kinda bored. I don't really expect you to trust some unknown guy from the net with your bike, but after wrenching on three 80 xs11's I've got a little insight into them, and I'm not really interested in riding a stock bike, as mine is faster, and rides better. Just a thought, let me know if I can help.
            Matt
            1980sg-Stocker-- Sold

Comment

I can't afford to buy but I can store it for you (under a cover, no garage yet).
              I'm in Modesto and can come get it (trailer).

Let me know if I can help.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

All Right!

Well, you guys have really made me rethink selling. I really appreciate the offers of support on getting her back on the road. Now if I can persuade my wife that besides her job-loss, expensive apartment move and no storage space, I will be spending a bit of time away to refurb my scooter.

Thanks Pat, for your super-kind offer from the Valley. I wish I could find work over there as I know that area is ideal and if I had tools I'd jump on the storage offer in a heartbeat. I hold a class B license but the pay drivers are gettin for straight truck work around here really sucks. I could drive a mixer again (did that for 8yrs in Florida in the '80s) but my back would probably not hold out with shleppin the shoots, etc.

Wow Matt, your offer from over the hill is too good to believe. If you'd help me I'd make it worth your while. I got a jacked up '82 Toyauto 4X4 that in low would climb a tree! It's been under a tarp serving as a storage locker for four years now. I keep both vehicles tagged and insured in the event of having to scramble away, but the last smog didn't take on the Toyota and the top end work estimate was 1600 bucks... so it too sits... red-tagged. Don't know how Nevada works out title transfer when smog's involved but willing to put that in the deal, if your interested in 4X4s, or want to pass it along to a kid. Here's pics: http://www.geocities.com/spineez2004/4wd.html
                On the road!

Comment

Come on up - - -

- - - and bring the bike.
                  Hi Dhost,
                  the winters are a stone bitch and it's a two day drive to salt water but the rent's cheap, vehicle insurance the least costly in Canada, the Province has never heard of a "smog test" and Saskatchewan trucking outfits are so desperate for drivers they are bringing them in from England.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Re: Sad Day in Silicon Valley! XS1100LG

Originally posted by Dhost
                    Well I never thought it would come to this. This valley is really turning into the pits these days after the last few bad years in the tech industry.

Thanks to all the nice suggestions and words of support from all of you here regarding the rehab of my beautiful Midnight Special (see my post of the 22nd).

<snip>
                    I'm feeling the crunch up north in the Silicon Forest. I ran out of unemployment 6 moths ago. I'm selling my 240Z first. Things would have ot get pretty bad before I sell my XS11.

Geezer
                    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Well dhost, we would need to talk about how we would do it. I tried to send you a private message, but couldn't. I think you could send me one with your email address, so we can discuss the possibilities. From the looks of things, your bike isn't too far away from being a looker(and a runner. I'd love to kick a midnight special back out on the road. I've had to go through all the "weak spot" repairs on mine and then some...And the one I got in Feb. was stolen from a Correctional Officer and found in a wash sunk passed the frame in Tucson sand. Yours looks pretty easy from what I've seen so far.
                      1980sg-Stocker-- Sold

Comment

Ya!

Wow, I think we've finally gotten somewhere. Matt, let me know if you got my email. It looked like Yahoo's site crashed just as I sent my reply off to ya.

Ya, it seems evryone and their uncle is still movin into the bayarea and there isn't even any work anymore!

Some things are goin cheaper tho. Geezer, I saw a 240z for sale last week for $1400 and we're talkin clean! You'd think the rental/housing market would stabilize by now, but no, I just got off the phone with a guy asking 1550/mo for a dinky little 1100sq' 2br 1ba house without a garage and won't even allow a shed for bike repair. Also, motor homes are really movin here, but I 'd say one could still get a better deal in the valley.

Thanks for the suggestion to move to Saskatoon, Fred, but I've had my fill of them winters from hell (grew up on the Mississippi as it crosses I80). I passed through your area in the 70s and must admit that it was very interesting. Even did a bit of partyin' and found the folks there very, very nice.

Well, thanks again for all the feedback!
                        On the road!

Comment

Boy, You ain't kidding about harsh winters. I used to live in Davenport Ia. at the 3200 block of fair ave, between Harrison and Brady. That place gets pretty cold. Seems like an ice cube. I now live in S.D. Not quite as icey but a little bit colder. Kinda wierd
                          people normally move from the cold climates, out to Cal. not the other way. Doesn't matter. Cold whether gear, Motorcycle, Rest breaks, Hot chocolate/coffee. Still keep ridin'.
                          I hope that you can keep your bike and get it runnin and lookin the way you want. Does SWMBO like to ride ?

S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                          1-big XS patch
                          1-small XS/XJ patch
                          1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                          1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                          2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                          1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                          1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Dhost,
                            where are you in SouthBay area?
                            I am in Cupertino, and am finding that there are several XS guys in our area.
                            I might be able to help with parts, if dragxs11 is going to need anything to get you back on the road.
                            Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Cold Place

Yup, its settled, I'm holdin on to my XS! I found an ally in Matt from Reno, who will assist with transport & wrentchin' in return for the 4X if he wants it.

Wow, Czekus, I used to hunt rabbits on that property. Actually, I remember that just north of there, on the other side of Kimberley, a plane went down and I had the altimeter from it in my attic for year. I guess that pretty well ages me, since I recall they developed that area in the mid-sixties. And ya, it was cold a$$ there except in summer when it would fry ya! Can't figure out why I left...

Thanks for the offer of support Mike! I'll look for your email address and copy you with notes to Matt to see if he needs anything right away that you may have. I would imagine the coils may need attention but I don't know if he rebuilds 'em or what. I anticipate tires but want to hold off on them till last, for cost reasons. Actually they look very good (they were brand new) but after three years of sittin' they may need replacement.

Hope to ride with you on skyline some day in the near future. I used to pass your way to get to Montabello or the end of Stevens Ck. canyon were some bros used to live. Even lived up there for a spell, just past the park boundry... now, easily, multimillion dollar properties. Actually I even remember taking my 4X up to Montebello when the power line gates were still open (over 10 years ago).

BTW, we're right off Lawrence in Santa Clara.
                              On the road!

Comment

Working...
                              X