No announcement yet.

speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep theyre hard to find these days tho,and i wouldnt want to ride somebody elses pride and joy,i thought on this site a few would have used the bike to its potential as there are lots of rat bikes advertised around the world ,and thought this forum would give me the low down ,my bike is a us import so should be factory standard no restrictions except i think the carbs could be very slightly different ,but still thanx to everyone you are all great people and i love this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

HI THERE TO ALL THOSE IVE OFFENDED ,CONFUSED OR ANNOYED ,IM GOING TO DO IT AGAIN NOW,I NOW REALISE I HAVE 4-2 EXHAUST ,SILENCERS ARE LONGER THAN SPECIAL IS MEANT TO HAVE ,COULD THIS CAUSE JETTING IN CARBS TO BE WRONG AND THEREFORE CAUSE A POWER DECLINE SORRY AND THANX TO YOU ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Comment

Hey there Gaffer,

The length of the silencers/mufflers shouldn't affect it as much as the restriction of the baffles inside them!? Can you unbolt the baffles from the ends and pull them out? Can you feel a fair amount and even pulse of air coming out of both of them!?

When you put on aftermarket pipes, they usually are less restrictive than OEM, and that extra breathing ability then causes a lean condition, requiring larger jets. A more restrictive pipes set would probably come closer to OEM, and probably wouldn't require a jet change. With 4-1 type pipes, folks report a slight drop in bottom end grunt due to loss of backpressure, but get better topend performance and range!? My Special has 4-1's on it, still seems to have good umph all around!?

What do your plugs look like, are they pristine bleach white, if so, too lean. If dark brown/black and sooty, then too rich. If light brown/tan/gray, then are probably just fine! HTH?
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

plugs brand new at mo ,old ones were terrific ,never seen such good lookin plugs when i took them out ,oh well there you go thanx for thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I have 2 sf's .. one runs.. well both have.. at different times..

Im still working the carb issues.. and other things..

I get a good jerk about 3500, but i sputer about 4800...

I drive like a grandma, (which could be part of why i haven't been "dismounted" in a loong time..)

I know the baby wants to really go, like a horse that wants to jsut run for it all.. but its not "clean enough yet".. alot of issues to work thru
            jeff "Wags"
            Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
            79sf rusty
            79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

I JUST LOVE THE SF ,OVER THERE YOU GOT THE BITS OVER HERE ITS LIKE ROCKIN HORSE TURDS ,I GUESS IM HAPPY ENOUGH WITH THE POWER MINE DONT SPLUTTER OR RUN FLAT OR ANYTHING AND IT FEELS LIKE IT MOTORS BUT JUST NOT EYE SOCKET EXPLODING POWER,ILL JUST HAVE TO BE CONTENT I SUPPOSE AND SHOULD FEEL LUCKY AND HAPPY I GOT WHEELS ,

Comment

I'm convinced the slop they call petrol nowadays is a big influence on your bikes' performance. The obscenely overpriced sludgy residue we get down here in NZ is a seething, rubber disintergrating, gasket stripping, filter destroying, piston seizing cocktail of nasty, secretive, soupy chemicals - supplied by parasitic, skulking, evasive groups of slimy, hand rubbing, theiving, corrupt rip-off merchants.

It's so godda**med inconsistant in it's makeup, my XS1100 constantly varies from week to week. Really noticable on top speed blasts - one day 130mph, another day - same conditions - lucky to hit 110mph. Wouldn't surprise me if the godda**ed arabs are pumping cyanide into it.

As for getting tan plugs, forget it, there ain't no way in hell I ever get any colour now but pure white. The only way I can check the plugs is to look for carbon rings on the insulator base.

As far as petrol prices go - well, just don't get me started. The whole world's being held to ransom. I've got it! Stuff them! I'm gonna run my bike on whiskey! I'd prefer beer, but ....mmmm....where's that old still... can't rush it...must sample the goods first...mutter...mutter...

Comment

PGG I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU PAY FOR PETROL OVER THERE,I THOUGHT WE WERE RIPPED OFF IN ENGLAND AS WERE PAYING 84PENCE A LITRE PROBABLY AROUND 5--6 US DOLLARS A GALLON
                  OH WELL IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR HAVING FUN WITH YOUR BIKE AS WELL GLAD TO HERE FROM YOU YOUR WRITE UP WAS GREAT!!!!!!!

Comment

This is such an entertaining thread [graphics and all] I just had to chime in. My first XS took me to 140 mph or better on a daily commute across San Fransisco Bay -1.5 mile downgrade eastbound on the San Rafael Bridge with an early morning tailwind. Awesome way to start the day. Regarding fuel, I ran that bike on premium and lead additive -my understanding at the time ['92] was that these motors were designed for leaded fuel and it's inherent lubricating properties. No idea what the top speed of my "new" '81H is- stoopid 85 speedo that I'm probably going to dislocate the needle on-but one thing I've come to know about these bikes is that they're all different. I'd love it if the '81 H could do what the '79 SF did but frankly a buck ten on a full dresser is fine for now.On that note, I'm embarrassed to say that I'm nursing a couple of deep bruises after dumping the bike two nights ago. Took a leisurely left hand turn at an intersection near my house- hit accumulated fine dirt and gravel -180deg spin - splat.Estimated speed-25 mph.No permanent damage to me or the bike-looking for a replacement left-side battery cover.
                    '81H
                    '77 GS750
                    '80 ATC 200
                    '79SF [stolen]

Comment

I have read the wheelie reports somewhere that gaffer is talking about. All I can say is , don't believe everything you read, especially on the internet. I have no doubt that with proper rev's and a clutch dump you could get about anything to pull the front end off. So what?! I really doubt that there is any stock XS11 that will pick it up just rolling on the throttle with out any clutch work.
                      I just got back from 200 miles out, and 200 miles back out on some country roads. I do enjoy cranking it on occasion (ahem) and it will easily do 75 mph in 2nd gear, and top 100 with very little more. That works for me! I have a 4 into 1 header and a very aerodynamic Jacwal Superwedge fairing (Can be seen on Tony's web site link a few posts back, its the blue one in the 2nd row). I did start to have a sputter and cough session which came and went over a few miles. I was thinking it might finally have developed the broken pick up wire syndrome, but then it cleared up and ran the same as ever. Now I think it may have been some crappy gas. Crossing my fingers.....
                      Last edited by 2fast; 08-01-2004, 03:01 PM.
                      Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

OH MY LIFE I THOUGHT I WAS MAD,WHAT THE HELL IS THAT FAIRING,AWESOME,GINORORMOUSE,WICKED,COOL ,HIDEOUSE GEEZZ
                        IM NOT TAKIN THE P****!!!!!!!!!!IT MUST BE ONE GREAT FAIRING
                        NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT BEFORE NOT FOR ME TO JUDGE BUT IF THATS WHAT IT TAKES TO GET AN XS FLYIN ,WELL ILL SETTLE FOR A PLODDER SORRY I AINT RIDIN NO SHARK LOOKIN BEAST DOWN THE ROAD THE KIDS ROUND HERE WILL HURL ROCKS AT ME IM GOING TO TAKE ANOTHER LOOK INCASE I DREAMT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Uh, Glad you like it gaffer.
                          Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

I have an 80g that is very worn. When I had the tires and tire pressure right, fork pressure and rear shocks right, (so the bike would hold a straight line without speed wobble) I was able to hit about 115~120mph. I don't remember if it was a downhill or a flat. I'm still looking for more top end but would be far happier with a nasty (stock) pull through the gears.

My 80g has lifted the front end on $!$!! compression values (less than 120 and varying). In other words, even in it's condition, smoking, noise, etc., the right clutch dump and rev will lift the front end on a bounce. I've demonstrated that in front of a couple of people. I don't think it's smart or safe to do, but it has happened.

Also, the front end sometimes will lift if you are on it hard out of first gear and have a passenger. I experienced this once.

Other than that, I have started to not believe things I've heard about it, either. I want my arms jerked from their sockets, but might have to look for a V-Max to do it; either that or put a big bore kit in my XS, exhaust, jetting, etc.

I think most of it is carb related. Look at the plugs of a new bike and see how well the fuel is managed. If you get the carbs dialed in even an old crapper XS should get up and go.

I often think my 80g "rides like a 750." I told that to my friend who had a couple Honda VF750s and he agreed with me. But this bike that rides like a 750 is the same bike I am talking about that will bounce the front end. So I suppose a stock XS off the showroom floor in 79 or 80 would have been really fast. It doesn't take much to kill performance; a slower spark, a few misses in the cycle, low compression, excessive clearance, chain slack, etc.

And for sure, my XS hates corners.

I have a 79 special that feels better to me for performance and such, but I'll probably swap its motor into the 80g frame, since the 80g is what I've fixed for years.

Ben
                            1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                            1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                            1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                            1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                            1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                            1982 XS650
                            1980 XS1100g
                            1979 XS1100sf
                            1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Ok. Here goes. I am the original owner of an 80 XSG. I`ve always ran an unbaffled Jardiene, some over sized jets and a few other goodies. The old girl only has 15 grand on her. I will take your lunch money all day long if you think in won`t wheelie with out the clutch. It is not a problem to get air in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. This is no bs. This is just my bike. Can`t vouch for anyone else`s. I don`t ride very often anymore. Spend more time with spotted four legged horse power. but sometimes, my daughter says time to let the ponies run, we get our helmets. When I`m by myself, the rush of bangin all the gears is awsome. But then again, maybe it don`t take to much to get a fifty year old grandpa all wound up. Who is that crazy old many anyway???????
                              JJJ

Comment

An XS11 that wheelies in 2nd and 3rd without 'clutching up' eh? I'd surely love a ride on that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X