speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay:

My '79 sf I've been working on showed me it would lift the front wheel a couple of inches in first with a good roll-on / throttle jerk.

It has 130psi compression last time I checked and I'm at 5700ft elevation. I still haven't gotten the carbs really dialed in or a good exhaust on it, either.

Up on some hot asphalt today I left a 25ft tire mark. That's what happens when I dump the clutch.

My 80g will only lift with a clutch dump/engine rev.

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

My bike is not slow. 80 Special. Advanced timing to 5deg like a 79.. wow
      tim correy
      Cassadaga NY
      80 Special "Big Nasty"

Comment

Airborne

An XS going for the sky in third gear, wow.
        81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

What I really like about the XS, is it will outrun any other "cruiser", that I have come up against, yet it is a very comfortable bike. I've thought about getting a newer cruiser, but I don't think I would be as happy. I also don't like to have payments on anything I have that is classified as a "big boy toy". I also like the idea of being one of the few, that have a "rare ride", my fully dressed standard, will pull a wheelie, if I.m rolling a little and hit the clutch and throttle at the same time, my naked standard, will pull them and ride 10 to 15 ft, on the back wheel. Later, 'Dog

Comment

Well I can't complain now that my bike is working properly. from what i've seen from my 78 xs so far is that this bike does not like wheelies or brake torques! i believe this is due to the long wheel base and heafty weight i have tried these manuvers and found that although the bike will do them the abuse to the drive train was more than I could bear. my bike does have increasing power and torque after the 4000 rom mark but really shines at 6000 rpm +. Basically, when i got this bike I was looking for a comfortable ride that had the horses to pass quickly on the highway. BOY did I find that. at highway speeds you can make a pass any time you have two seconds to spare 3 for a B train. besides this incredible power this bike has a nicer smoother ride than both the gold wing and venture royals i have rode. When we look at the xs 1100 we must consider that it is a sport / touring bike. the bike was built heavy with a long wheel base (touring) than they stuck the 1100 power plant in (sport). I can't see myself buying a new superbike. I've driven them and talked to people that own them and I find there comfort level is only tolerated due to they're appearance and horse power.

to keep from rambling on about the attributes of this bike I will sum it up with this:

The XS 1100's power will impress people in town, it will really impress people on the highway and after a continuous ride of 4 hours or more you can get off and walk away without the assistance of chiropractors and phisical therapists!

How much better does it get??
            Last edited by Nastydude; 10-19-2004, 10:41 AM.

Comment

hi great thread (the last reply) summs up my attitude towards xs and y i bought it exactly!!! the more i ride mine the more it runs better i feel like it needed running in or something cos hell does she shift now when she wantsi think it is the clutch that is at fault it is a little rattley,dragging sometimes and awkward into first sometimes i want to replace the whole thing completly with new pressure plate ,does anyone know if these are available i read something somewhere they are not!!! my shimms need doing as well really and id like the carbs set up etc and then shell be a beuty!!!! i just aquired a 68 bonneville so am negleting the xs with no time or money at mo but hey ill get her done for the summer as shes still my number one
              Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Comment

A '68 Bonneville ah,,

I had a prestine Blue & Silver '68 Bonnie myself back in '74. A lLovely bike. Started on the second kick every time. Just have to remember to tickle the Amals first.

Others I knew with Triumph's and BSA's had always put them down as having unreliable Lucus electicals, but the only problem I ever had was that blasted Zenor Diode mount broke off and had to be welded back on.

Used to love to ride it at night when I got off of work about 2:00 am.

Good luck with the project.

Bubba
                Bubba1954
                (aka) Shannon Koehn
                Hutchinson, KS
                http://www.fototime.com/inv/0EE87CEC5C8C774

Comment

hi bubba im putting bowyer electronic ignition on the bonnie and its being built back up from nut and bolt resto the engines stripped to bare cases as well ,its going to be peach!!!!!nearly as original

it will be red and silver as original (i think) its uk spec see it should be done by christmas hopefully

Comment

Wicked Speed

I've got a 79 SF. It had been sitting for 8 years when I got it. The carbs were a sticky mess, the tank was rusted and there was over 2 gallons of oil/gas sludge in the crankcase. I took it to the dealer to get boiled out and have the carbs rebuilt and an oil change. The trip home from the dealer was the first time I ever got to ride it, my only other bike having been a Shadow 700. This bike is wicked fast. I accidentally popped a wheelie shifting into second.

If your bike has aftermarket fuel filters, they may be to blame. Many can restrict oil flow. Make sure the filters in the fuel takh itself are not blocked with particulate matter. Also, be sure to synch the carbs and you should be good to go. My SF has 82,000 miles already and still runs like a bat out of hell. Scares me quite often.
                    '79XS1100SF "Little Timmy"
                    '66 Thunderbird

Comment

Keep the Speed a coming

Hi Gaffer77

Did you sort out the lack of ‘arm wrenching’ power? – What caused it?

I have been suffering a similar problem, my 82S runs well, but no where near as good as the reports depicted – and I had no comparisons to determine if I had a setup problem.

Have been doing some serious ‘balls-out’ testing (on suitable roads) to C what it’s got. I’m lucky, the forum has narrowed down the search so might end-up with the real thing after some playtime.

Not that I want to abuse her power all the time, just have it to hand when required.

E/:?)njoy everything to XS

Comment

Hi lawrence aint had time for much for ages, runs sluggish after standing but after a long ride it just gets better and better all the time, it pulls now real good ,this aint the thread i was on about and too embarressed to lead you to it ,had myself in stitches for 20 minutes reading it bak,i met the uk xs club the other week for first time ,it gave them a laugh too and they took the p*** something rotten when they read it

surprised they ever let me in thier club!!

i havnt got her over 115 but i will have a go

well its rude not to ,isn't it??

still got to get the carbs done,got new inlets to go on new coils

just the other bike and the wife got different priorities to me and keep me busy!!!

definately get it sorted by august tho!! and let you know what she does!!

Comment

Working...
                        X