speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speed

hi there can anyone tell me if an xs11 sf special is slower than all other xs11's cos mine runs well just isnt as exciting as articles i have read thanx (i think ive read they have different carbs)is this the prob
    my bike is slow
    75.00%
    slow xs
    25.00%
    Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

Hey there Gaffer,

Checked your profile, but not much info on your bike. How many miles on the engine? What's your compression values?

The Specials are/were allegedly slightly slower in top speed due to the smaller rear tire, 16" vs. 17", but they had the same gearing, so they should have been a little "quicker" from a stop and thru the gears till you got close to top end! Also the earlier years were supposedly faster due to less EPA adjustments vs. the latter years!

Carbs are same for same years, just different tanks and petcocks and plumbing.

A variety of things could be affecting your performance, from weak coils, poor tuning, plugs, carbs, poor synch, cam chain adjustment, weak clutch springs causing slippage, clogged air filter, exhaust, etc.!? HTH!?
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanx i updated profile ,i got new plugs,new airfilter (wrote a thread for this cant find it)filter was a bitch to fit ripped foam rings off to fit it,clutch was slipping in 3rd and 4th but sorted for now,need to adjust perfect i spose,starts and runs well no missing,smoke or stutters,it wont wheelie,it has got a metallic noise somewhere to me it sounds like 2 big washers clanging to gether as you blip the throttle thats the only way i can describe it ,bike has 30,000 on the clock but who knows real mileage,i havnt balanced the carbs yet i was just wondering what to expect from a good sf to compare mine to start looking for faults thanx any way you have helped

Comment

Low Power-Engine Noise

Suggest that you adjust the cam chain tensioner. Read the manuel or tech tips section so that you understand exactly what you are doing before you start. A mistake can have dire consequences.
        You have to remove the left engine cover and align the "T" timing marks before beginning and you cannot over tighten the bolt on the tensioner or you will be in trouble.
        Ken/Sooke

Comment

A properly tuned/running special will kick a$$ and take names. It can wheelie, and it will easily reach 135mph (that's red-line) and still be pulling.

Great bike....of course Midnight's are just better....

CUAgain,
          Daniel Meyer
          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

thanx mate thats reassuring its worth the dosh to get it set up then,i like the midnight but seen so many variations and customised ones i wanted an original SF thats what pulls my heart ,each to thier own but theyre all XS and thats all that matters ,i loooooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee xs

Comment

hi there again havnt took mine over 8 grand on the rev counter ,cos shes getting on and havnt had her long and dont want to explode a piston etc etc ,dont get me wrong it shifts but 110 seems like its limit havnt really wanted to push it to the max as 110 felt unkind to her ,maybe i should go for it up hill she pulls effortlessly just wanted more grunt like a powerband or something was expecting explosive power just seems a bit tame to me she starts well runs without any coughs or splutters got 4-2 exhaust new plugs and air filter ill do all the rest *carb clean balance etc etc im runnin unleaded would this make a difference

Comment

[IMG]http://[/IMG]

Comment

Dragon rider: you missed a spot. (bike looks great other wise)
                  steve

Comment

Hey there Gaffer,

We are ALL running Unleaded over here in the "Colonies". However, depending on how it's behaving, you might want to try a higher octane if you're running regular!? Back in the late 70's, what used to be regular octane ~ 92 is now our premium!!!

The power band you speak of IS just above 4k all the way thru 8.5+k rpm. If you're keeping the engine in higher gears and running lower rpms, then you're missing the arm jerk power you're looking for!!! With it properly tuned, carbs cleaned and balanced, and properly jetted for your intake/exhaust, it can easily handle the 8.5K run over and over again! It wants to run in the higher range, not loping along at 3-4k!! So, open her up and enjoy, just keep a strong grip!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

hey slightly offended by the 4 k comment i keep it at 7.5-8k no matter where i ride i do give her a thrashing just dont see awesome power people speak of and theres just no wheelie possible accidental or a severe attempt at one theres no way that front wheel wants to lift youre all good people i just want horses mouth experienes annoyed reading articles by plastic rocket enthusiasts slagging the xs off for handling etc comparing it to modern stuff,the xs is in my heart and blood now and i just need to know from people who ride them especially the sf model what i should expect so i know if i got a dog or a peech thanx for info i shall take her for some more riding to really push her past the 8k mark and see what i get flat out as well ,i cant wait to get her sorted i luv her luv her luv her just want more power
                      Last edited by gaffer77; 07-24-2004, 10:15 AM.

Comment

hi there to bike for a real good run im getting 70 in second at around 8 thousand revs ,90 in third just like to know if this is about right really ,motorway was really windy shat me self over 110 cos cross winds bike was shakin its head more than i was ,on a nice long what we call A road , 4th and fith 90 miles an hour i found the zone it was wicked wicked wicked ,i got to learn how to corner the beast ,i dont back off but till your half way thru you wonder if your goin to be ok and it always comes thru ok but still feel wary the next time STILL CANT GET A WHEELIE THO

Comment

Wheelies ? Why

Gaffer, give your head a shake before you kill yourself or someone else. There are times to go fast and places to go fast. I think your time and place both missed today.
                          I don't know why a wheelie is so important. If two bikes leave the line that are about equal the guy who wheelies looses the drag every time. Instead of devoting every thing to accelerating as quickly as possible the wheelie guy has an extra few inputs that are necessary to control the bike. The one that keeps it's wheels planted and putting it's effort into accelerating is "gone".
                          Possible lack of wheelie could be a soft clutch that just does not have the "bite" to lift the front wheel. These bikes are heavy. If you want to do wheelie get a lot lighter bike.
                          Ken/Sooke

Comment

i know speed is irresponsible madness look i have some roads that are absolutely deserted ,(not the place to come a cropper with nobody about)either, but look my bike is old, i genuinly appreciate theyre old bikes ,they should be looked after etc etc thing is people ,everyone likes to get away at the lights ,if you got anything in you that is,look if i wanted a missile id buy one all i want is an old classic with a lott of grunt when you want it ,i want to cruise at 85ish with no probs,i want roll on power for over taking and long up hill roads im really not a nutter i have two kids a wife and two dogs i love very much ,i love everyone else on the roads as well and dont want to be party to someone else either getting injured ,or having a loved one hurt etc etc etc ,and i dont want some poor sod having to scrape me up or tell my missus etc ,im 33 im not a joy rider i dont do burn outs or wheelies ,its just the write ups say the front will lift effortlessly with too much right wrist ,mine dont and i have given it some ,therefore i believe there is something wrong with my bike or the write ups on them so want to know from people in the know i want my bike to run how it was designed to run ,so i can trust it for touring duties,and if it aint doing what the books say then its down on power somewhere and theres a fault which needs fixing in my eyes,petrol consumption,ease of riding,enjoyment etc etc and how ebarrassing would it be getting blitzed by something half the size ,im not a racer either ,like you said theres a time and place and when it is the time and place i want it there i had to giv it some earlier to find out if the motor is good or bad ,in comparison look you made me feel a twat ,i didnt go over board i rode within my limits ,if you think the way you do youd never go out your house for fear of getting hit by a bus like i said the xs is a hulk if i wanted a 250 cc id have got one ,the bike suits what i want ,i want it righthow its meant to be ,if i wanted a missile id get one im not a loon and am upset at your thoughts of me but can see from what ive written why you think this,were all different mate but most of all i want you to know I DO CARE I CARE ALLOT ,I TOOK MY BIKE TO 110 IF YOU SAW WHAT THE LOONIES DO WELL YOUD BE SWEATIN COS ,I WAS ON A 10 MILE STRAIGHT AND ONLY SAW ONE CAR AND THAT WAS BEHIND ME AS I GOT ON THE ROAD ,SO I KNOW IT WAS FINE THE LOONIES WELL THEY GO PAST LIKE I WAS STANDING STILL AND THATS DOING 90 ON AN A ROAD SO PLEASE UNDERSTAND I REALLY AM NOT A LOON AND DONT WANT TO BE

Comment

P.S WE GOT DIFFERENT ROAD SURFACES,DIFFERENT CLIMATE,DIFFERENT TRAFFIC VOLUMES,AND IF I OVER COOKED A CORNER I WOULD COME OFF ,I HAVE NEVER COME OFF I KNOW I WILL ONEDAY BUT IM SO CAREFULL IM TOO SCARED TO GO INTO A CORNER ON THE ABSOLUTE LIMIT COS I ALWAYS FEEL YOU NEED SOME ESCAPE IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG ,WHAT I MEANT WAS WITH THE HIGH BARS YOU FEEL LIKE THE BIKE WONT KEEP ITS LINE IN A CORNER AND ITS AMAZING WHEN YOU COME OUT HOW STEADY THEY REALLY ARE ,THATS WHAT I MEANT BUT THEN THATS PROBABLY BECAUSE IT WASNT ON THE ABSOLUTE LIMIT,
                              Last edited by gaffer77; 07-24-2004, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X