running flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• running flat

hi people,i own an xs11 sf,i know the carbs are different to other models ,and this may cause it to be slower,my bike rides and runs nice enough its just i was expecting socket wrenching performance from reading about these bikes,mine gets to 110 mls an hour fairly quickly i was hoping for 125 at least but seams to take an age from 110 to go any faster and then i run out of road to find out top speed,my old cbx 750 was scorching compared to this and i was hoping for similar performance from the 11 taking weight age etc into consideration,i love my bike so much just need someone who knows to let me know what to expect from the old hulks thanx see you
    Don't put all yer eggs into one basket ,,,case

I have an F and SF. Both have the same carbs. Both will reach 125 quickly, with windjammers and hard bags and trunk, and will easily blow off stock Harleys. Both are full dress. These bikes should easily blow off stock non turbo 750s without working up a sweat. Both of mine are totally stock, the SF has 98,000 miles, and the F has 63,000 miles. Oh, forgot to mention, the SF has Jardine 4-2, stock jets, and both have the stock airbox with K&N filters. Sounds like you need a lot of fine tuning. I am sure both will go far beyond 125 MPH, but I draw the line at a few 125 MPH runs. I am 65 years old, and would like to live to see 85 or 90
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Comment

great,i have no fairing and am going to do everything to make it better,i know its a matter of corse servicing and tuning but like i said it runs well just not awesome and its showing 30,000 mls
      i just wanted to know its capabilities before i put my heart and sole in to it so theres no dissapointments after my time energy and money!!!!!!!!

Comment

zoom to flat

Gaffer 77.
        There is an info site link here somewhere on the site , carb tune some thing. (sorry cant remeber. I blame the 70's)
        My bike does the same.as its a 79 f. This bike soars to 100mph in 4th gear but when i shift it to 5th I cant get any more than about 115. I do have a 4into 2 and a k+n filter. The bike is bang on , no stutter and pulls quite gingerly smooth outta 2500 rpm.Is a rocket 3 to 5 to 7 grand rpm. Im not sure why it wont pull the red line in fifth.compression is good. I did go up a couple main jet sizes when i changed filter and pipes.. Not sure if I should go up one more. Would that help the top end a bit more?ive tried the lid open, prime on. Timing is on.Valves perfect. Ive inquired about this before. I just wanted the high end speed for my hoodlum moments.other than the lack of top end speed the bike yanks a smile outta me every time i ride. Any tips out there you guys in what direction I can go too to get more top end too.could be the nature of my beasty XS. Used to go real top end fast.guess 115 aint so bad and get there real quick.Just wonder, what did I do wrong that its lost that bit of mph.???
        steve

Comment

hi steve
          thats it in a nut shell mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mines on the back burner at mo (decorating ,keep the dragon happy)so once thats done i can go play (well thats what shes saying now,different f***in story when it happens)

Comment

under 3,00rpm's

It seems to be theese bike just don't grunt below 3 grand.I've been told by a mechanic (ya i know ) that the xs-xj line of bikes actualy have a pretty hot cam for a street bike.Even by todays standards. he suggested to go with bigger carbs (recemended 900 kz carbs from the era,or fj1200 ) Reason being 34mm openings will only flow so much air. Period. you can jet till your blue in the face,but only can compensate so much. 36-38 mm openings will flow more air ,witch in turn you can flow more fuel,in turn produces more POWER. These bikes act like cars,or any other motor ,MORE AIR ,MORE FUEL , MORE POWER,its as simple as that. I do tend to believe the guy as he builds and tunes on xs-xj motors they put in those cute little race cars that look like a shrunkin version of a Steve Kinser outlaw sprint car. He also said a small amount of power can be gained by running a oil cooler. Just my two paso's...
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

im gradually gettin the bits together for oil cooler,as the sf didnt have one ,maybe just maybe it will help the cause then!!!!

i dont want to tune my bike i just want the performance that people write about these great bikes dont get me wrong it aint bad to a ton 15 but i want it to go as it should cheers for threads see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hi "oversea XSistes"

You, in US, have a strong reputation of "respect the speed limits"
                But I can see that it's fairy tales ! lol

Normaly, in good shape, a XS 1100 can reach 140 MPH ( 220 Km/h) speedometer reading, me be not "real speed"
                The specification tell: Max power = 95 HP
                But I've been told that in some states, those bikes were delivered with "Factory reduced power" at 65 HP.
                (Different camshaft, smaler carb boots, different carbs & main jets, etc...)
                Is somebody aware of this ? or was it a bad joke ?

This could explain poor performance ?
                XS 1.1 '83 German model
                XS 1100 '81
                XS 750 77 Work in progress.
                XS 500 76 Restored
                XS 250 77
                XS 360 to be restored...
                TX 750 '73
                GTS 1000
                FJR 1300 (daily use)

Comment

Reduced Power?

I'm quite sure your comment about power being reduced back to 65 HP is just a myth. At least here in Canada I've never heard of such practices. Dealers want to sell bikes. No one (aside from police and insurance companies) would detune an 1100 M/C here.
                  Ken/Sooke
                  78e Ratbyk
                  82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

I've been told it was for legal (or local rules / laws) reasons depending from States ... ...but here, we don't knows your specific laws
                    XS 1.1 '83 German model
                    XS 1100 '81
                    XS 500 76 Restored
                    XS 250 77
                    XS 360 to be restored...
                    TX 750 '73
                    GTS 1000
                    FJR 1300 (daily use)

Comment

Gaffer

tune IS eXSactly what you want to do. The better in tune your bike is the better it will RIP your arms out of there sockets. That means every thing,clean carbs ,fresh air , good gas ,good spark,and the list goes on.A poorly tuned machine can not and will not give you what your looking for.Any bike not just the xs-xj.The more in harmoney your parts are working together on the same page the better you'll feel...lol
                      1982 XJ 1100
                      going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                      now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Hey, XS1100YAM, you don't have the right information. Here it is. In 1980, the third year of the XS11, federal emissions standards prompted the manufactures to lower compression, and re-jet to meet any emission standards. They also made the intake valves a bit larger and increased the lift on the cams to get some of the lost power back. This did not change the standing 1/4 mile times by more than a half second. But that year, the feds also mandated that motor vehicle speedometers not read more than 85 MPH, but these bikes surely did go as fast as ever, you just could not read it on the speedo. I was stationed in Verdun in 58-60, and have been to Paris many times on a Terrot 500 cc single with a sidecar. I always wonder how much your country has changed in all those years. As to respecting speed limits, in most places the law will not bother you unless you are ten or more mph over the limit. In Wisconsin, if you are more than 20 over, the police CAN confiscate your DL on the spot. If we want to run these machines fast, we use a little discretion.
                        put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                        79 F (Blueballs)
                        79 SF (Redbutt)
                        81 LH (organ donor)
                        79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                        76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                        rover has spoken

Comment

Hi Rover,

Million thanks for your interesting answer !
                          I understand that those slight differences are not significant and can't explain Gaffer's problems...
                          Lot of parameters can affect overall performances on motobikes...

As the "speed limits" question is "off topic", I'll send you a private message

I'm very happy to see how many people are interested by XS in your country ! This site is very useful with the "tech tips", specialy on carbs

After all, we're all loving the same 26 years old Lady: XS 11

Best regards to all of you.

I apologize for my poor english

Patrick
                          XS 1.1 '83 German model
                          XS 1100 '81
                          XS 500 76 Restored
                          XS 250 77
                          XS 360 to be restored...
                          TX 750 '73
                          GTS 1000
                          FJR 1300 (daily use)

Comment

hey you got better english than some english people i know

i will get to the bottom of my probs,like you say its 25yrs old i have no service history and just wanted advice and answers before i chucked my wedge at her,so if it was still the same after the time and money invested i wouldnt be too dissapointed and have some idea as to what to expect

the guys on here love xs i didnt want to take the word of a plastic rocket rider in a magazine describing the bike i love

your great glad theres xs all over the world ,it just gets better and better and better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

hey gaffer,we will compare your bike with some others if you can make it on the 19 of september.

Comment

Working...
                              X