deglazing cylinder walls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deglazing cylinder walls

Is there any benefit to using emery paper on the cylinder walls while the head is off? I am not doing rings. I think the compression is good other than the valves (repairing). If this can be done by hand rather than honing it, what grit paper should I use?
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Re: deglazing cylinder walls

Originally posted by skids
    Is there any benefit to using emery paper on the cylinder walls while the head is off? I am not doing rings. I think the compression is good other than the valves (repairing). If this can be done by hand rather than honing it, what grit paper should I use?
    Only hone a cylinder if you are installing new rings otherwise you'll wear out the rings you have faster. They've already worn together for a tight fit, don't disturb it.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Re: Re: deglazing cylinder walls

Thanks! If you can't trust a geezer, who CAN you trust?! :-)

Originally posted by Geezer

Only hone a cylinder if you are installing new rings otherwise you'll wear out the rings you have faster. They've already worn together for a tight fit, don't disturb it.

Geezer
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

De-glazing

I second Geezer on this one. Without replacing the rings never disturb the bedded in seal that already exists between the rings and the cylinders. Since you cannot buy new standard size rings be careful in there. Simply wipe them out with a clean lint free rag and put on a light coat of oil.
        Ken/Sooke

Comment

De-glazing

Further on this de-glazing question. There are some who believe, (and I'm one of them) that the carbon ring that forms around the top of the cylinder. Do not remove it. Thinking that you are doing a good thing while cylinder head is off, many people will clean this carbon off the cylinder wall. Don't, possibly loose stuff but the main hard formed ring should remain unless you are going to change the rings.
          The reason for leaving it alone is that it protects the top ring during initial combustion. This layer of carbon shields the top ring just as combustion takes place and while heat and pressure are at their maximum.
          Ken/Sooke

Comment

Working...
          X