Carb Refurb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Refurb

So I've messed up one of my carbs pretty good ('nother thread).

I've got a spare set ('79 Mikunis), came off a good running bike, but sitting on my shelf for 20 years (wow).

I know there was someone on the forums who used to clean/tune these up as a service hobby/business. Is anyone around who still does this?

I found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultrasonic-...-/184185469200

... but I would like to make sure it's all gone completely through and cleaned, not sure this is adequate.

Anyone have a recommendation?
    79 XS1100SF

And if I'm going to f*** it up myself, this is the kit to get?

https://www.mikesxs.net/keyster-prem...t-xs1100f.html
    79 XS1100SF

Comment

Kit looks good, but you'll also need diaphragms and plungers for the top end if you have some sticking. Where are you located? If youre close, i could assist with carbs.
      1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

Thanks, Seth! Are those parts available or unobtanium at this point?

I'm in Madison, WI; where are you?
        79 XS1100SF

Comment

Ah im in Springfield MO. A little far. I can help through the internet though if you need.

As far as the diaphrams, you can get them in a couple places. Just found this on ebay searching for xs11 carb diaphrams
          https://www.ebay.com/i/353119997711?...evt=1&mkcid=28

The plungers can be cleaned up with carb cleaner or an ultrasonic.
          Last edited by sethhope; 08-20-2020, 03:39 PM. Reason: added text
          1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

Be cautious. There are a lot of jet manufactures out there that put out imposter jets. Micunis are the only reliable ones that I know of.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
            03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
              Be cautious. There are a lot of jet manufactures out there that put out imposter jets. Micunis are the only reliable ones that I know of.
              Very true as Skids has stated. K&L and RD are among those imposter main jets. Mikuni main jets are the ONLY ones metered correctly according to metered size. For example, a K&L main jet metered sizing of 110 is equivalent to a Mikuni main jet of 115-117.5. Been several yrs. ago I sized and compared the two, but you definitely wanna use Genuine Mikuni main jets!.
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Slide diaphragms for BS34 carbs are available from JBM industries.

http://www.jbmindustries.com/

80 SG, --- Slightly modified with EFI.....

Comment

Originally posted by sethhope View Post
                  Ah im in Springfield MO. A little far. I can help through the internet though if you need.

As far as the diaphrams, you can get them in a couple places. Just found this on ebay searching for xs11 carb diaphrams
                  https://www.ebay.com/i/353119997711?...evt=1&mkcid=28

The plungers can be cleaned up with carb cleaner or an ultrasonic.
                  I got a set of these diaphragms from Ebay just a few months ago and they were a bit thin and were difficult to get on without damaging them, but they worked fine.
                  Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                  The Green Monster
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                  Got him in '04.
                  bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                  Scarlet
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                  Got her in '11
                  Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                  Hugo
                  Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                  Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post

I got a set of these diaphragms from Ebay just a few months ago and they were a bit thin and were difficult to get on without damaging them, but they worked fine.
                    Hi George,
                    Nice to see you posting again.
                    Phil
                    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

https://xs11.club/forum/repairs/carb...b-cleaning-101

Have you seen this tech tip? The pix are still there. May find it helpful.
                      T. C. Gresham
                      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                      History shows again and again,
                      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                      X