Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building one engine out of two.

Alright guys quick question.

I have a blown motor xs with a 3J6-000101 1980 engine In it.

I bought a spare 1981 4R0-000101 running engine for it.

The problem is the 4R0 engine did not come with a timing Advance unit.

Can I install the 4R0 engine into the 3J6 frame and use the 3J6 tci and timing Advance unit on the 4R0 engine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    80 XS1110 SG, RD400

Yes you can.
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Comment

I agree. Keep the older model black box and older coils as well.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Well guys thanks for the help. Update bike is running amazing running the 1196 big bore kit and new mikuni rs36's. Seriously they transformed the bike. Thanks again for all the help y'all. Now I have some small questions.

1. Are the rear turn signals supposed to be on as running lights on the 78? Or do they only turn on when activated?

2. The stationary pointer was moved by mistake during the build and I want to make sure it's in the right location. Is there a specific way to do this, or is it just setting the piston to tdc on #1 and then moving the pointer to tdc as well? Thanks!
        80 XS1110 SG, RD400

Comment

1. No, rear signals are not supposed to be running lights, on with signal activation only.
          2. Yes, position the #1 piston at TDC compression stroke and readjust the pointer to the 'T' mark.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

using a dial gauge will give a more accurate measurement for TDC if you have one.

Comment

Yep I have a piston stop and a degree wheel. I need to get a dial Gauge. Good idea thanks y'all!
              80 XS1110 SG, RD400

Comment

Working...
              X