Octopus Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octopus Confusion

I'm in the middle of repiping me Octopus and have come across a problem.
    I may be thick or just stupid.

On the Octopus there are numbers 1 to 4
    1 and 2 are in the middle and 3 and 4 are the outside pipe connectors.

According to the manual octopus connector number 3 connects the fuel pipe to carbs 1 and 2 and the left hand front petrol tank tap connector via a T connector.
    Octopus connector number 1 connects the fuel pipe to the left hand rear petrol tank tap.

I've done that no problem.

Now the bit I'm confused on.
    According to the manual the fuel pipe from the right hand rear petrol tank tap goes to one of the middle octopus connectors which is number 2 BUT the manual has a arrow pointing to it and calls it number 4 hose.
    The fuel pipe from the right hand front petrol tank tap goes to carbs 3 and 4 and via T connector to the outside octopus connector number 4 BUT the manual has a arrow pointing to it and calls it number 2 hose.

Am I right in thinking that the manuals number 2 hose should go to number 4 octopus connector and hose number 4 should go to number 2 octopus connector?
    Therefor the rear petrol tank taps go to the middle two octopus connectors and the front petrol tank taps go to the carbs and the outer two octopus connectors.

I've found a pic under the seat. It gives me the route of where the fuel pipes should go.
    The pic's in the manuals are right but the manual hose numbers don't relate to the numbers on the octopus.
    Hose number 2 goes on connector 4 on the octopus
    Hose number 4 goes on connector 2 on the octopus
    Last edited by ardvark1; 05-01-2020, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I did away with the octy years ago and went with a Pingel vacuum fuel valve. You eliminate hoses and in order to remove the carbs on my XS,I just disconnect 1 fuel line and 1 vacuum hose.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      xschop K & N air filter setup
      Dynojet Recalibration kit
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Ardvark1, just be sure you hook it up so that when you select PRIME, fuel will go to the carburetors bypassing the shut-off valve. The ON nipple requires fuel to pass through the shut-off valve. With that in mind, it should be easier.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

I never understand

why folks always suggest getting rid of the octopus. The rebuild kits are readily available for them and they work when rebuilt and installed correctly. What I always remember … and I have been messing with these for 40 years is that once the octopus and hoses are installed and mounted on the bike you will have two hoses for the left petcock and obviously two for the right. when looking at the octopus from the back of the bike looking towards the front the two hoses on the two inner plugs go to the front ports on the petcocks left and right respectfully. the outer two hoses go to the back ports obviously. If you hook them up backwards then the device does not work properly and you will end up with the possibility of flooded carbs, airbox, crankcase etc... Always stay in the habit of turning your petcocks off when you get off the bike. I always do and always have. Like Marty stated … when the petcocks are switched to prime the gas basically bypasses the octopus and you need for that to be working when you go to synchronize your carbs because you have to utilize the vacuum port from the number two intake manifold for your synch gauges. I for one think keeping the octy is beneficial and will keep mine until I can't buy rebuild kits.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Kits

Where can I get a kit for an octy?
            78 XS1100E Standard
            Coca Cola Red
            Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
            http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

Partsnmore has it but it also comes with the rebuild parts for the fuel taps as well. EBay has them too for about $20.
              Last edited by bikerphil; 07-21-2020, 03:12 PM.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Several vendors have the kit. I believe it's a K&L kit. My experience is that they leak. The packing (o'ring) isn't thick enough.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Yep, the o ring could be changed if need be, hopefully they have corrected the problem by now.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                    Yep, the o ring could be changed if need be, hopefully they have corrected the problem by now.
                    As of last year, no.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Working...
                    X