Standard fuel gauge resistor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard fuel gauge resistor

Looking for one of these for a 79 Standard, any year will work. Anybody have an extra laying around in their parts pile? It's the black box shown below. Thanks.

2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Meant to say fuel guage regulator.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

Comment

I'll have to look. I have boxes of parts, but it will take some time to dig into them. I just moved and the garage is full, two bikes, one 450sl, spare parts, and tools.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ray, you don't have to look, Andreas is going to set me up, thanks anyway.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

Fuel gauge regulator

How did you figure out what the actual problem was? The gauge on my 79F has never worked. I would be very interested in learning about your diagnostic procedure. If I still had nice weather to ride in like some people I know, I likely wouldn't bother with it!

Comment

I am rebuilding an extra Standard tach I bought it on eBay. The tach worked fine on my bike but not the fuel gauge. I removed the tach from the bike and placed it on the work bench. I removed the back cover. I used a 9V battery to test the gauge itself. The gauge moved with the battery applied. That narrowed it down to the regulator.

If your fuel gauge never worked, it could also be lack if signal from the sending unit in the tank. If you look in the FSM there is a procedure for testing that.

Yep, nice weather here for sure.
            Last edited by bikerphil; 12-24-2019, 07:48 AM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Fuel Gauge Regulator

Thanks. I have one on the rack to finish up, so I'll take a look at that when I get it finished. I've ignored the gauge so long I forgot it was there. After 41 years of riding the F is still my favorite bike to ride.

Comment

Just to follow up on this, I got a regulator from Andreas and all is good, gauge now works.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

Working...
                X