Great site & a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great site & a question

I apologize for my total rookie status when it comes to chat threads, but I wanted to pass along a site with great site for spec diagrams and parts ordering - www.yamahaaccy.com.

I'm also a rookie when it comes to wrenching on my '80 XS11G. Question for the experts b4 I start hacking on my own . . . I've got a problem where gas has leaked down into the cylinders and down to the bottom of the engine. A. I estimate I've logged 30 miles b4 I caught onto the problem. Could there be lasting damage to the engine? B. Assuming this problem is with the carbs which I've never really worked on b4 - I want to take it on myself but am concerned with the high potential of error. Looking for the strength of advisement for bringing it into a shop. Thanks!!
    Mpls XS11

Clean the carbs

Your floats are sticking open and running gas down into the crankcase a good carb cleaning should help. go to the maintenance and repair sections and read all you can about the carbs and petcocks also the octupuss. Not that hard we all have been there! Good luck and have fun It feels great to fix it yourself plus saves a lot of money. Most shops dont know anymore than you do about your bike as the mechanics are younger than your bike, Shouldnt of hurt your bike as long as there were no strange noises coming from it. Make sure to change the oil and filter before running it again HTH, .....................MITCH
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

I'd pay special attention to the Petcocks. Be for warned that the K+L's petcock kits don't seal off like they should. Most all needles and seats leak some. Try to use OEM iff possible for the needles. Just a little trickle of gas out the petcock is enough to fill the crankcase in time. Info was given to me by the country's leading Experts on the XS 1100's. Merriam Cycle
      "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Merriam Cycle

Thx Mitch/Winterhawk! FYI . . . I had some custom work done on my XS11 by Bob Jones a few years ago. He did a great job on it . . .
        Mpls XS11

Comment

Hey, Mpls! Welcome to the forum. Study the wealth of knowledge on this site and within this owners' group and you'll become much more comfortable working on your bike. Be warned tho; in addition to a satisfying hobby, one can become quite obsessed with one's XS.
          Oh, the link doesn't work to the website you mentioned.
          Ride smilin'
          Dennis

Comment

Sorry to those who tried the link - I had an extranneous period in there. Try this:

www.yamahaaccy.com
            Mpls XS11

Comment

Another TC XSive

Howdy!
              There are now 3 known xs owners from the Twin Cities on the forum. I think we need to hook up for a ride some day, eh?
              Miles to Go, Fuel to Burn

Comment

Working...
              X