Alternate exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81h

All 81H models were also factory (not dealer) equipped with the larger (6 gallon) fuel tank, fairing/windshield, saddle bags, touring style seat, and luggage carrier with back rest. One color only. They were, in fact, one of a kind. They also had a chain and lock that used the ignition key to secure the bike when parked/stored.
    Last edited by MPittma100; 01-15-2018, 10:30 PM.
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
      All 81H models were also factory (not dealer) equipped with the larger (6 gallon) fuel tank, fairing/windshield, saddle bags, touring style seat, and luggage carrier with back rest. One color only. They were, in fact, one of a kind. They also had a chain and lock that used the ignition key to secure the bike when parked/stored.
      This is the first I've heard of the chain and key. Never heard Moto mention it. Good info Mike.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Sorry bout' that Ian, Mine still has the original chain and attached lock assembly just like when I bought bike new. The yellow plastic covering over chain has badly faded over the decades, but all still there and works correctly if it were ever needed. Even exhaust system is original and immaculate with no dings or discoloration.
        Last edited by motoman; 01-16-2018, 04:27 AM.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

The chain lock was also on the '81 Special. My '83 XS650SK has the chain lock, as does the XS650SH, and I'm sure a bunch of others.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Chain and lock

1981 LH had this also. There is a hard plastic pouch mounted on the bike that holds chain. Just outside of the pouch is a stand that the lock fastens to. Takes ignition key to remove it from bike. Motoman stated that chain plastic cover is yellow on the 1981H. The LH chain cover is, as you may have guessed, black.
            1981 XS1100H Venturer
            K&N Air Filter
            ACCT
            Custom Paint by Deitz
            Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
            Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
            Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
            Stebel Nautilus Horn
            EBC Front Rotors
            Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

It wasn't just the 81H, my 81SH also had the yellow chain/lock.

For what it's worth, the chain was really useless, was so small/thin that it wouldn't take a little push to snap the chain using the bike's own weight as leverage. I took mine off and got a REAL chain and master lock that I kept around the back rest to secure mine when I was worried about where I parked it.

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by DWP203 View Post
                I seem to recall some one putting Harley Dyna mufflers on their XS11. My exhausts are original but starting to rust out so will need to do something. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks.
                Hows the pipes comin' along ?

Lot of info in these threads:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2355168
                1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Alt Pipes.

Good morning Schming,

Been under the weather so I haven't really done anything. Feeling better so I guess I'd better get going. Also your link didn't work but thanks.
                  78 E Frankenbike

Comment

Link

Oops, I apoligize about the link, if you type in the search box - harley muffler install - it'll display a number of threads with a lot of info that may help steer ya in the direction you want.

GWS
                    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Good morning Schming,

Been under the weather so I haven't really done anything. Feeling better so I guess I'd better get going. Also your link didn't work but thanks.
                      Hi DPW203,
                      I have seen many posts over the years about using Harley mufflers.
                      some were definitely an easier fit than others so research the site for past experience. I recall one set were quite easy if you installed one upside down with a simple bracket.
                      In the old days bin diving at the Harley dealers would come up with shiny new mufflers for free

Good luck with your search and don't overpay for them either

Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Good morning Schming,

I found out late that the inner head pipes extend into the muffs. You may be able to avoid some tuning issues by cutting the muffs back about 8" from where they are attached to the head pipes, then grinding the welds down that hold the muffs to the head pipes just enough to let the mufflers or shells what's left of them come off. Then you need to smooth out that area on the head pipes to allow adapters and muffs to slide on. This way you retain the inner head pipes diameter inside your muffs or adapters if needed, thus keeping the air flow of the stock exhaust as much as possible.
                        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                        80 XS650 G Special II
                        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                        80 XS 1100 SG
                        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Harley muffs

I have been running Sportster muffs on a 80 Special for a long time. Decent sound. Had them fitted at a muffler shop. He used Harley clamps. They are the best. Maybe I miss the cross over, but it's hard to tell. I know I get a torque hit at about 3700 rpm.
                          1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Working...
                          X