Alternate exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate exhaust

I seem to recall some one putting Harley Dyna mufflers on their XS11. My exhausts are original but starting to rust out so will need to do something. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks.
    78 E Frankenbike

Kurt Boehringer put Sportster mufflers on two of his and some big Harley mufflers on another. He covered it on here someplace.

He did modify them for a nearly perfect fit. It's on here someplace.
    Last edited by jetmechmarty; 01-13-2018, 10:25 AM. Reason: content
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by DWP203 View Post
      I seem to recall some one putting Harley Dyna mufflers on their XS11. My exhausts are original but starting to rust out so will need to do something. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks.
      New take offs from your nearest HD dealer can be had fairly cheap as most new bike buyers install aftermarket pipes.

Here's a few, for the XS11, for sale on C-list:

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/se...o?query=xs1100

Welcome to the Obsession !!!
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

harley muffs

HI,,,,,I have put a set on various xs1100's since they do have a tendency to rot quick with wet weather. The sound of the Harley Dyna mufflers is fantastic, a nice growl when revved and smooth rumble when idling. Also, the Dyna's are a near fit with the xs, just cut off the old muffs and get an adapter at a local auto parts dealer, a short strap to connect the rear of the mufflers to the original connection and you are good to rock. THey do lose a small amount of horsepower at the takeoff but after 1st gear it is not noticable. You will LOVE the sound of the Harleys, one of the threads to do the redo is in the search section,,,,,,Installing Harley Fat Boy mufflers on XS11 motorcycles,,,,there is also one with a member{Planedick} on the Dyna muffs, much preferred. Craigslist is a good source for the mufflers, as stated before,,,,usually 40 bucks or under a pair,,,also ebay. THe Harley clamps are the best out there, the cheap auto ones do not stay tightened and it is best to spend a few extra bucks and get the Harley clamps unless you can weld them on, the best way to go,,,,and forget about them for 40 years or so............good luck, keep us posted...........Mike in SUn DIego
        mike
        1982 xj1100 maxim
        1981 venture bagger
        1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
        1959 wife

Comment

I made the mistake of culling the pipes in front of the crossover pipe. I was a novice with carbs at the time, but I had a loss of torque at about 2800 rpms. I finally found a stock 81H exhaust system for that model E.
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
            I made the mistake of culling the pipes in front of the crossover pipe. I was a novice with carbs at the time, but I had a loss of torque at about 2800 rpms. I finally found a stock 81H exhaust system for that model E.
            Isn't the '81H exhaust "Special"? How'd u make that work? I just bought another set of '80G Standard exhaust. Gotta machine some spacers at the flanges.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

exhaust

I had the same rot out/rust problems, I found a set of Harley slip on fishtails, took off stock mufflers and put the fish tails on, very easy swap & I think my old 80 g dresser sounds great, and it looks like a factory install to me. think marty & some of the guys saw it at the rallies, just an idea....worked for me
              1980xs1100
              1980xs1100 g with h tank

Comment

Originally posted by 1980xs1100 View Post
                I had the same rot out/rust problems, I found a set of Harley slip on fishtails, took off stock mufflers and put the fish tails on, very easy swap & I think my old 80 g dresser sounds great, and it looks like a factory install to me. think marty & some of the guys saw it at the rallies, just an idea....worked for me
                1980xs1100
                1980xs1100 g with h tank
                I looked for that photo, but I only have photos of you, and not your bike. I'll refrain from posting pictures of you to keep from frightening anyone.

The Harley pipes on your bike do look and sound great. I concur!
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                  Isn't the '81H exhaust "Special"? How'd u make that work? I just bought another set of '80G Standard exhaust. Gotta machine some spacers at the flanges.
                  I assume that you are not referring to an 81SH, because the 81H is a standard. Yes, in terms of how to mount it to the peg bracket, it dosn’t exactly mount right. You can run the bolts through one of the triangular openings on each side. I don’t remember using vibration isolaters, which would also help.
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                    I assume that you are not referring to an 81SH, because the 81H is a standard. Yes, in terms of how to mount it to the peg bracket, it dosn’t exactly mount right. You can run the bolts through one of the triangular openings on each side. I don’t remember using vibration isolaters, which would also help.
                    Yes, but isn't the '81H exhaust "Special"?
                    Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 01-14-2018, 11:50 AM.
                    1979 XS1100F
                    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
                      Hi Ian,
                      You are correct the H uses the Special Exhaust.
                      Phil
                      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                        Hi Ian,
                        You are correct the H uses the Special Exhaust.
                        Phil
                        Well, it bolted up to the headers on a 1978 E standard and like I said, I had to mount it differently to the peg brackets. Also, you have to remove the center stand as it will not retract.
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Well, it bolted up to the headers on a 1978 E standard and like I said, I had to mount it differently to the peg brackets. Also, you have to remove the center stand as it will not retract.
                          That is a Special exhaust! Ask me how I know about it on a standard. The center stand will not work because the cross over pipe is in a different location.
                          And yes, the HD mufflers work really well on the XS.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                            That is a Special exhaust! Ask me how I know about it on a standard. The center stand will not work because the cross over pipe is in a different location.
                            And yes, the HD mufflers work really well on the XS.
                            Ray, if you know for sure, I believe you. By "special" do you mean that it came from an SH model, or are you saying that all SH and H models has the same exhaust systems and are also equivalent to the SG and the SF model exhausts?
                            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Exhaust

All 81H models had the Special exhaust on them from the factory. It was not an option. They were installed purposely by Yamaha. Why? Who knows?
                              1981 XS1100H Venturer
                              K&N Air Filter
                              ACCT
                              Custom Paint by Deitz
                              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                              Stebel Nautilus Horn
                              EBC Front Rotors
                              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment