Broken stud on fork slider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken stud on fork slider

Is it best to heat/wrench the stud out, or find a replacement slider?
    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

That would be my first thought...

My thoughts...

You could...drain the fork oil first...

In my opinion, I would probably try the mild heat first...heating around the stud...with a pair of vice grips on the stud...heat and maybe spray some PB Blaster while hot and repeat the process as many times as necessary...slow and steady wins this race...

If that doesn't work, drain and remove the fork (you'll probably need some heat on those bolt, too)...

Remember, slow and steady...take your time...no rush...

Tenorman
    Bikes that I have owned and enjoyed...
    1964 Allstate 250
    1970 Yamaha DT1
    1959 Mobylette
    1970 Yamaha JT1
    1995 Suzuki 80
    1978 Yamaha XS650
    1980 Yamaha XS1100LG
    2005 BMW R1150R

Comment

I broke one. I had the retaining cap backwards. The arrow points to the front, but mine had no arrow. Use heat and hit it with Kroil penetrating oil. As it cools, it draws the oil in. Got mine out using a pipe wrench with good sharp jaws.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
      03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Just put a pair of vice grips on it. It'll spin right out!
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

How about a stud puller?
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Tenorman View Post
            My thoughts...

You could...drain the fork oil first...

If that doesn't work, drain and remove the fork (you'll probably need some heat on those bolt, too)...

Remember, slow and steady...take your time...no rush...

Tenorman
            LoHO,
            As suggested above I would remove the fork and drain and then work it out, as suggested above, with gravity helping the penetrating oil get in the threads.
            When it snaps off flush you will have to remove the fork anyway

Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Yes, you will get the "pucker" when you try turning it out! Have faith Larry!
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.
              03 Honda ST1300 ABS

Comment

Broken Stud

Heat only the stud. Propane torch is plenty of heat. Let it cool a bit. Screw it out. Use anti-sieze on threads of new stud.
                1981 XS1100H Venturer
                K&N Air Filter
                ACCT
                Custom Paint by Deitz
                Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                Stebel Nautilus Horn
                EBC Front Rotors
                Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Any ideas about a replacement stud? Or can I just improvise one by threading an existing bolt?
                  "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo View Post
                    Any ideas about a replacement stud? Or can I just improvise one by threading an existing bolt?
                    Yes, goto Ace Hardware. They stock them.
                    1979 XS1100F
                    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
                    X