X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...YKgKM0zRuWtCZl
    81 XS11

Comment

Also I have a question about the float height. I can kinda see that they are all slightly different. What should the float height be. ?
      In removing the main jets and tubes I kinda broke one of the small washers that goes between the main jet and the tube. Is this a part that is available somewhere???
      Thanks... Dave
      81 XS11

Comment

Originally posted by leggman1 View Post
        Also I have a question about the float height. I can kinda see that they are all slightly different. What should the float height be. ?
        In removing the main jets and tubes I kinda broke one of the small washers that goes between the main jet and the tube. Is this a part that is available somewhere???
        Thanks... Dave
        23mm....and floats NEED to be all the same setting. If keeping the bike you seriously need to get a manual on bike.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Thanks and I am looking for a manual
          81 XS11

Comment

Thanks... Dave
            I am confused. Are you talking about breaking a metal washer?
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
              I am confused. Are you talking about breaking a metal washer?
              Well, the washer has to fit into the recess and the diameter of main jet. If thickness can not be matched at your hardware store, it might not be a big problem. The fuel will still be metered by the jet even if the jet is submerged a little more than normal below the liquid surface.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I am assuming it was metal. It is now in two pieces and I could try to put it back in the recess and make it work but I do have some brass round stock and could turn another easily. It is the washer that goes between the main jet and the emulsion tube.
                I am still wondering if I should drill out a passage on #3 carb.
                81 XS11

Comment

I am assuming it was metal. It is now in two pieces and I could try to put it back in the recess and make it work but I do have some brass round stock and could turn another easily. It is the washer that goes between the main jet and the emulsion tube.
                  I am still wondering if I should drill out a passage on #3 carb.
                  I didn't think you could mate older carbs and newer carbs on the same rail. One thing is for sure, you don't have 81 carbs. I know that 80s had some "morphedite" carbs where they had a passage between the main jet bore and the pilot bore, and used rubber plugs on the pilot bore, but that is the extent of my knowledge on that! I couldn't open the links for pictures on this ipad, sorry. I would be reluctant to drill the passage...
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Trying to post photos
                    http://www.amazon.com/photos/all/gal...os&pageIndex=0
                    81 XS11

Comment

trying again
                      http://www.amazon.com/photos/all/gal...os&pageIndex=0
                      81 XS11

Comment

Now I am on my laptop. The amazon photo gallery did not open your pix for me. Maybe you can see them because it is your folder. I cannot.
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

It's alive (again)
                          I cleaned everything and put the carbs back together leaving the rubber plug out of the #3 carb (the one with no shared passage).
                          I installed the carbs back on the bike and hooked up a dummy gas tank.
                          It runs as one aussie you tube poster quoted "Like a dog shot in the arse"
                          It started right up and has a ton of power through ALL the rpm range. I still have to put the tank and seat back on but it runs so much better than it did before I am sure it's right.
                          This forum rocks.
                          Thanks to all who replied.
                          Dave
                          81 XS11

Comment

That is good news, and now we know it can be done, mixing the two types of later carbs on the same rack.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                              That is good news, and now we know it can be done, mixing the two types of later carbs on the same rack.
                              All 4 of his carbs have the 4 holes around the inlet bell and yet 3 of them had the shared passage between the main and pilot bore. He had at least 3 of the transitional carbs from the early 80 models. Carb No.3 had no passage. For any of the members out there, he did not mix the 78/79 carbs with later model carbs. I just wanted to make that clear.
                              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

I still haven't had a chance for a good test run because as soon as I put the new tags on it the rain started. I can't say it is totally right but it is running a whole lot better than it did.
                                I am sure the carbs need synced and probably the air screws adjusted. When I put it back together I went 1-3/4 turns out on all four screws. I guess I could go for a short ride tomorrow and pull the plugs for a look see. That should tell me if I am rich or lean.
                                I REALLY do appreciate the help I received on this forum.
                                Dave
                                81 XS11

Comment

Working...
                                X