Tire sizes and conversion charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metric conversions

ThrottleJunky: Sorry for the delayed response. We had our oldest granddaughter this week, and stuff had to be picked in the garden, and yes, been a bit busy! I'm going to give the Metzler Sportec Klassiks a shot on my 79F. They were designed, and marketed by size, for the period of bikes we are riding. As T.C. mentioned, tires are getting hard to find. ( Along with some of the other parts and pieces!) I've had good luck with the Metzlers so far on a couple of my other bikes. I used to be a diehard Dunlop fan, but have not been that impressed with the last few sets I had. People blame the tire for cupping and uneven wear. I am not saying they are wrong, but my experience, and opinion thus far, supports quality control in general, for a portion of the oddball wear issues. I have had the same brand and style of tires on bikes that were almost identical in model and year, and had different results in how they performed and the wear patterns. Remember, you can balance a tire, but that does NOT mean the rim is "perfect", nor does it mean the tire is lined up perfectly front to rear. Or even side to side for that matter. (Castor and camber, toe in etc.) The riders riding habits are also a large portion of the equation. Do you check your tire pressure EVERY time you ride your bike? I do. Call me OCD, anal or anything else you may be inclined to. ( I also measure tread wear with a simple depth gauge/ vs tire pressure. Want to get the most out of your bike or cage tires? This is the way.) I also do not ride with reckless abandon anymore. There are so many variables that affect tire wear and performance it's hard to say which way is up. I also ordered a set of Michelin Commander 2's for my 81 Special. The Sportec Klassik is not offered in a 16'' rear. So I have two sets of tires I have never run before to evaluate. On a final note, I have been balancing with beads for the last 2 years, and so far have been happy with the results. It's nice not to F/U the rim beating on the weights, and then have the rim rust or corrode under the weight. Run your choice by the members first. It is very likely someone has tried them, or is currently running them.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      May want to try the Shinko 712 or 230, will last longer than the D404 so has been said.
      +1I have used both the 712 and 230. Both are great tires at a great price!
      Current Daily Rides / Projects

1979 Yamaha XS1100F (since 2015)...Project
      1980 Suzuki GS850G (since 2012)
      1979 Kawasaki KZ400B (since 2013)

Comment

Working...
      X