New to XS11 and about to restore - any help appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PK1000 View Post
    I have a question, my xs has a 4 into 1 exhaust is it possible to change it when I get there to a 4 into 2.

Yes you just need to get a 4 into 2 exhaust. Mine has a 4 into 1 and am debating dropping some cash on a 4 to 2. I want a center stand......
    79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by spectra View Post
      Yes you just need to get a 4 into 2 exhaust. Mine has a 4 into 1 and am debating dropping some cash on a 4 to 2. I want a center stand......
      I wondered of they stand may be in the way
      PK.
      1978 XS1100E
      2006 GSXR1000
      2005 GSXR1000
      2001 GSXR1000
      2000 GSXR600
      1999 GSXR600

Comment

Originally posted by spectra View Post
        Good luck finding a 4-2 exhaust. Make sure you can use the centerstand with the one you find. You can use a centerstand that might work in the shop. I have a chrome 4-1 exhaust where I temporarily mount the stand just to hoist the bike up. I can't leave it mounted because it will not fold up (78E).
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
          Good luck finding a 4-2 exhaust. Make sure you can use the centerstand with the one you find. You can use a centerstand that might work in the shop. I have a chrome 4-1 exhaust where I temporarily mount the stand just to hoist the bike up. I can't leave it mounted because it will not fold up (78E).

Sorry I'm a little confused from the last message, mine currently has a side and center stand. That's what I was concerned about, if I would have to remove the center stand.
          PK.
          1978 XS1100E
          2006 GSXR1000
          2005 GSXR1000
          2001 GSXR1000
          2000 GSXR600
          1999 GSXR600

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post

I thought MAK made a 4 to 2 ? Or at least a pair of 2 to single.
            79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by PK1000 View Post
              Sorry I'm a little confused from the last message, mine currently has a side and center stand. That's what I was concerned about, if I would have to remove the center stand.
              I guess I am the one that was confused! :-)
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Hey PK and Spectra,

Different models/brands of 4-1 pipes allow room/clearance for the centerstand, some do NOT. The MAC's DO, the Jardines don't IIRC. But the bigger problem is that ALL of the aftermarket brands STOPPED making the systems for the XS11 a few years ago, so it can be both difficult to find/obtain as well as expensive.

I just posted a response to Spectra's carb tuning/throttle response thread elaborating about what 4-1 pipes can and won't do for you. But due to the rarity of exhaust systems, if they are working, then it's probably best that you stay/keep what you have and learn to work with them, either getting a centerstand and bolts that can be used to put it on temporarily for home mech work for the system that doesn't allow it full time. And to tune the bike/carbs to work as best as possible with the increased flow/leaning of the fuel/air flow.

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Jardine

I have Jardine 4 to 1. Sidestand in place.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    I have Jardine 4 to 1. Sidestand in place.
                    I misspoke! I have a chrome Jardine 4-1 on a 78E and the centerstand folds up. I also have a 78E with 81H 4-2 pipes on it, but the centerstand must be removed when not working on the bike. Sorry about that ...
                    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

I think there is a company in the UK or Germany that makes stainless steel exhaust systems that fit the XS1100. As I remember Cody had one put on his bike, but it was the 4 to 1. Check the UK site as there may be someone who has the company name or web site.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

As I said....EXPENSIVE if not rare. I believe they are called X-pipe, and a net search should find them, but you can end up paying as much or more for the pipes than you probably did for your whole bike!

Okay, perhaps is was Kerker? I do remember that with the Jardines there wasn't always enough room to drop the oil filter cup when changing the filter, and so folks had to drop their pipes! Others had enough separation between the 2-3 pipes to allow access to the filter cup.

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Kerker you had the center stand, but got the pipes oiled when you changed the filter. But boy, do they sound NICE when you rev up the engine on some fun corners! At least mine did, with a modified baffle in them. A few of the folks who made the two day trip from South Lake Tahoe to Newport, OR may remember the sound... Brent? Bohn?
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                            I think there is a company in the UK or Germany that makes stainless steel exhaust systems that fit the XS1100. As I remember Cody had one put on his bike, but it was the 4 to 1. Check the UK site as there may be someone who has the company name or web site.
                            There is someone in Germany who makes a stainless system, expensive I believe and quite a long wait for them to be made.
                            Rob
                            XS Eleven SF
                            Could this be the finest Triumph Bonneville ever built ?
                            (Cycle January 1979)

Comment

Originally posted by robbo View Post
                              There is someone in Germany who makes a stainless system, expensive I believe and quite a long wait for them to be made.
                              Here you go, this is the German web site. Look on the left-hand edge of the page, click the on the "XS-Shop" button and a picture/link for their exhaust system is at the top of the next page that opens:-
                              http://www.xs1100-frw.de/

I don't know if they're still making them but it was close to $1000 without including shipping.
                              -- Scott
                              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                              1979 XS1100F: parts
                              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Exhaust

Andreas had a 1100e exhaust in his parts list last time he posted.
                                Rob
                                XS Eleven SF
                                Could this be the finest Triumph Bonneville ever built ?
                                (Cycle January 1979)

Comment

Working...
                                X