Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to XS11 and about to restore - any help appreciated

Hi Guys,
    I am used to having modern sportsbikes (last 3 GSXR1000's) but have just grabbed a 78 XS11 . It's in okay shape, it runs but the last owner sprayed basically everything black and the bodywork silver, it was maroon as standard. I am going to completely strip and restore the bike and just have a couple of question before I start. The sticker on the frame states "manufacture date is 9/77 and the vehicle number matches the one on the motor.

1. Where can I get parts, I know ebay and a few others in the US but I'm in Ontario and shipping with border fees make it super expensive.
    2. I noticed a few midnight specials being broken and parts sold, are the parts compatible with mine.
    3. Any advise for me before I really get into it woud be helpful. I'm doing this and don't care what it takes but I want it to look close to brand new when done.
    PK.
    1978 XS1100E
    2006 GSXR1000
    2005 GSXR1000
    2001 GSXR1000
    2000 GSXR600
    1999 GSXR600

xs11 parts

hi,
    welcome to xs11. Can you tell me if you have a standard or special? if it is a standard, I might have a source for some parts. I will check back tomorrow,and again, welcome & good luck with your bike
    1980xs1100
    Joe

Comment

Originally posted by 1980xs1100 View Post
      hi,
      welcome to xs11. Can you tell me if you have a standard or special? if it is a standard, I might have a source for some parts. I will check back tomorrow,and again, welcome & good luck with your bike
      1980xs1100
      Joe
      As far as I know it's standard as I don't think there was a special in 77/78
      PK.
      1978 XS1100E
      2006 GSXR1000
      2005 GSXR1000
      2001 GSXR1000
      2000 GSXR600
      1999 GSXR600

Comment

You have a XS1100E, a 78 Standard. This parts supplier is in Canada...

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yamaha/
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Hey there,

Glad you got onto the site okay. Aside from Partsnmore, check out a local member who is also a bike parts dealer named Andreas Weiss here on the site. HE lives close to the border and can ship in Canada much cheaper than folks in the USA. He's a very fair guy with prices better than eBay usually, and you can count on the quality.

Regrettably because of the age, aftermarket support has been dwindling over the years. You can't really find NEW exhaust systems anymore, except possibly the occasional rare NOS stuff, as well as used stuff. Some of the more critical engine components are also NO LONGER Available....like the Star Clutch plate/bearing plate, so care needs to be observed when disassemble/reassembling the clutch. See the tech tips about clutch repairs as well as the Tranny 1st/2nd gear repair to learn more about how this plate gets broken!

The XS11 is a powerful machine, heavy, but no where near as strong/fast as your GSX's.

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I think this one is on the border as well.

https://www.siriusconinc.com/
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Hi PK,
              welcome. I think I went through Port Sydney on Saturday
              There are a few of us here in Ontario. Parts & More are in Stratford but charge in US$$ which seems a bit unfair.
              I have not tried sirius but see they are moving to NY
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Welcome! If it's a US bike, serial number should be in the 500 to 600 range, as a guess. First production unit was 101, and back in '77 I took delivery of #254 in September. The parts that WILL interchange are the '78 and '79 STANDARD model for body and frame. The '78 carbs, advance, and cams are different than the rest of the years, and the bike is a little faster because of it.
                I will second getting parts from andreas, as I know he lives in Canada, but for us he can cross the border and ship USPS.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                  You have a XS1100E, a 78 Standard. This parts supplier is in Canada...

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yamaha/
                  Thanks. I did see that site but noticed they have very limited items. Not sure I you have to call to see if they have anything else they don't list.

Was kinda hoping to find someone I can just call for any part I need.
                  Last edited by PK1000; 08-20-2017, 09:03 PM.
                  PK.
                  1978 XS1100E
                  2006 GSXR1000
                  2005 GSXR1000
                  2001 GSXR1000
                  2000 GSXR600
                  1999 GSXR600

Comment

Welcome

Hi PK

I have a 78E also, have ordered from both Parts-n-More and Siriusonic.

Parts n More distributes from a couple blocks from me in Stratford so I save on shipping by picking it up.

Siriusconinc sent me stuff from their Kitchener distributor free shipping, but they have some pick up hours also.

I also went through Port Sydney last Saturday. Nice place.

Brian
                    '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                    '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                    '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Wow, thanks guys. I will be contacted thing all these referrals as soon as I get to that point.
                      PK.
                      1978 XS1100E
                      2006 GSXR1000
                      2005 GSXR1000
                      2001 GSXR1000
                      2000 GSXR600
                      1999 GSXR600

Comment

Originally posted by PK1000 View Post
                        Was kinda hoping to find someone I can just call for any part I need.
                        Well, they don't make a hell of a lot of parts for these old bikes any more you know.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                          Welcome! If it's a US bike, serial number should be in the 500 to 600 range, as a guess. First production unit was 101, and back in '77 I took delivery of #254 in September. The parts that WILL interchange are the '78 and '79 STANDARD model for body and frame. The '78 carbs, advance, and cams are different than the rest of the years, and the bike is a little faster because of it.
                          I will second getting parts from andreas, as I know he lives in Canada, but for us he can cross the border and ship USPS.
                          The vehicle number I have is 100165.
                          PK.
                          1978 XS1100E
                          2006 GSXR1000
                          2005 GSXR1000
                          2001 GSXR1000
                          2000 GSXR600
                          1999 GSXR600

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                            Well, they don't make a hell of a lot of parts for these old bikes any more you know.
                            I realize that, I suppose I was hoping that maybe some company was making aftermarket replica parts.
                            PK.
                            1978 XS1100E
                            2006 GSXR1000
                            2005 GSXR1000
                            2001 GSXR1000
                            2000 GSXR600
                            1999 GSXR600

Comment

I have a question, my xs has a 4 into 1 exhaust is it possible to change it when I get there to a 4 into 2.
                              PK.
                              1978 XS1100E
                              2006 GSXR1000
                              2005 GSXR1000
                              2001 GSXR1000
                              2000 GSXR600
                              1999 GSXR600

Comment

Working...
                              X