No announcement yet.

Sticking in Gear--Danger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohhhhhh, I see, well these pins are free to go, I can pull them out easily, right past the washer, I guess I'm fortunate to have them still . So, I guess she's about ready for some major work, these washer tabs are bent about 90 degrees back.

On a related note, I talked to the previous owner, who said that a second gear fix had been done once already.....so likely I'll be in the market for some replacement gears I would imagine. 1st slips a tad on full power as well. Andreas just messaged me he has a couple used transmissions in pieces. I'm taking a month long trip to Canada in a couple weeks, so I'll get to it either before or after that! Was considering taking the bike, but maybe not with these developments
    81 Special

Comment

Any temporary fix you all know til I break the gears out?
      81 Special

Comment

Originally posted by mschor View Post
        Everything is aligned now (one side had come outward when I pulled the shift lever off).
        Now what happens if I take those 2 pins out and leave the bent washer there? Will things continue to disintegrate?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6d43tpbgpv...91115.jpg?dl=0
        +1 bikerphil
        Even if you replace that star washer if you don't make the trans fix you will just bend the new washer given a little time riding/shifting it.
        If you try to bend the star washer back into shape there is of course the chance it may or may not break.
        I've thought about the one that I bent back and that it's been lasting for years, as I said I got lucky.
        I could have used heat in bending it back or taken it to someone with a TIG welder and had a little tiny bead welded into the inside of the angle/bend of the star washer to strengthen it ?
        Again without fixing the trans the star is going to bend again.
        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
        80 XS650 G Special II
        https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
        80 XS 1100 SG
        81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
        https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
        AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Any temporary fix you all know til I break the gears out?
          You can replace the starfish washer with a stainless washer bent and trimmed to fit. You should read this whole thread but Post #28 has some pictures:-

5th gear star washer source

You still need to fix the transmission but the washer might hold until you can get to it.
          -- Scott
          _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
          1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
          1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
          1979 XS1100F: parts
          2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Mike, I can help you with the transmission when the time comes.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks for the link Scott.
              Phil, I'll get in touch when I have time and a place to do it, I recently moved down closer to Palm Beach. I greatly appreciate all your help
              81 Special

Comment

Hey Scott,

You posted JUST the single post link, He might not see the link in the upper right corner that would take him to the entire thread?

here's the link to the entire thread.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...589#post468589

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC, I did find it, just haven't had the time to break into it. I also don't have tools to shape the washer right now. Thinking ill just do the tranny when I have time so I dont run into the same problem again
                  81 Special

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                    Hey Scott,

You posted JUST the single post link, He might not see the link in the upper right corner that would take him to the entire thread?

here's the link to the entire thread.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...589#post468589

T.C.
                    Oops, you're right. Sorry about that, Chief!

Thanks TC, I did find it, just haven't had the time to break into it. I also don't have tools to shape the washer right now. Thinking ill just do the tranny when I have time so I dont run into the same problem again
                    It's going to depend on the wear on the whole shifty assembly.

The shift drum wants to move out to the left during upshifts. It'll move further out as it wears. It can also temporarily move out too far if you make a 'fast' upshift and the drum has to force the shift forks to move the gears in the transmission.

The shift pawl has to be in good shape too.
                    -- Scott
                    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                    1979 XS1100F: parts
                    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                    X