Sticking in Gear--Danger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking in Gear--Danger?

New development on my 81Special. Has had the 2nd gear slip for a while but I do my best to avoid it. Lately it's been sticking. When I downshift coming to a stop, it usually will not go down to 1st without sticking in a "neutral zone"--some place with and/or without a neutral light that feels like neutral; shift lever will not go down from there. Most of the time I can upshift into 2nd and then it'll be fine shifting up or down until the next stop light, but tonight the shift lever really got stuck for a minute, couldn't push it up or down. Finally ground it into 2nd, and was fine for the rest of the trip. Wondering if this is a hazard for riding at speed, or if it'll likely stay localized to where it's at. No sign of trouble beyond 2nd.
    81 Special

Perhaps a clutch adjustment and a cable play adjustment is needed. Or, the plates are sticking if the new condition has been caused by the bike not being ridden for a while. Hopefully, you haven't been trying to keep force on the shifter to keep it from slipping in second. I have heard that it can bend the shift prowels(?)
    Last edited by skids; 06-26-2017, 07:28 AM.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Clutch adjustment is good, I don't think the plates are sticking, it would probably do it in all the gears. Plates were sticking when I first got it going, but after I freed them it hasn't shows those kind of signs.
      81 Special

Comment

The shift pawl might be out of adjustment.

If you don't want to drain the oil just to take a look then you have to put the transmission in 2nd gear, lean the bike over to the right and prop it up with something that won't collapse, then pull the shifter foot lever and left side cover to see if the index marks are lined up.

If the marks are aligned, that lever stonkin' return spring is weak, one or more of the shift forks are bent, or the transmission is on its way out of the theater.
        -- Scott
        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
        1979 XS1100F: parts
        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Alright that about covers it, I'll check it out, thanks!
          81 Special

Comment

tranny

Is the bike new to you. 3 phase covered most of it. Some are worse than others to repair. Hope for a bad return spring or misalignment of the shift pawl. They are easy. Bent/ broke shift forks are a different animal. 1 st and 4 th work together and are more difficult to repair and hard to find replacements individually but Andreas will sell you the whole series with the shaft as a used unit.
            mack
            79 XS 1100 SF Special
            HERMES
            original owner
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
            SPICA
            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
            IOTA
            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
            Frankford, Ont, Canada
            613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by mschor View Post
              Alright that about covers it, I'll check it out, thanks!
              2 and 4 should be addressed, if #4 is not retaining the #2 shift pins/dowels the shift pins could be sticking out too far or even fall out and be at the bottom of the oil pan. Second pic shows the alignment of the two dimples on the shift pawl and the bent #4 allowing the alignment dowels/pins #2 too back out of the correct engagement. Lucky on this one 4 could be bent back and has been fine for many hundreds of miles since the second gear fix.

76 XS650 C ROADSTER
              80 XS650 G Special II
              https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
              80 XS 1100 SG
              81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
              https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
              AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Shift pawl alignment marks only align correctly to be checked when in second gear ONLY, as 3Phase stated. If a pin came out of the shift mechanism, star retainer IS BROKE, period. If that were the case, wouldn't be able to change gears AT ALL..period! Any pawl alignment needed when in second gear is done at shifter mechanisim in order to re-align marks. Also, if shifter is loose up and down when in any gear, the spring on shifter assembly has come loose on one end which holds the tension on spring for shifter itself.....or it is broke. So, there you are......you have those three possibilities causing the shifting issue.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Also, donebysunday.....no offense, but if your gonna offer incorrect help, least wait till Sunday.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

BTW mschor, if one of those little ears on the star washer that holds those little pins in is bent outward, and by some miracle the pin is still in there, straightening the bent ear back will NOT work, it WILL just break off. New ones are NO LONGER available from Yammy dealer. You'd have to possibly get one from a member here who may have an extra to spare.

Comment

Just pulled side cover; 2 washer tabs are bent outward, pins are there, indes lines a couple millimeters off. Not sure I understand exactly the chain of events that caused this. What's behind the pins that causes them to push outward and effectively break the star washer tabs?
                      Pics
                      https://www.dropbox.com/s/isqrzvy6lz...84929.jpg?dl=0
                      81 Special

Comment

Everything is aligned now (one side had come outward when I pulled the shift lever off).
                        Now what happens if I take those 2 pins out and leave the bent washer there? Will things continue to disintegrate?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6d43tpbgpv...91115.jpg?dl=0
                        81 Special

Comment

There is more stress on those pins when that bad 2nd gear skips. It kicks back and forces the shift drum backwards and if your foot happens to be on the lever the pins take that force. You won't have these issues after doing the transmission repair. Ride it gingerly until then. I have never heard of a transmission locking up, but it will find a false neutral.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Ok, so probably wise to take the pins out so they don't get lost safe to say?
                            81 Special

Comment

It will not shift without the pins... As long as part of the pin is covered by the washer, you should be OK. Look at the photo above. You can see that the washer does NOT fully cover the pins, but they are still there.
                              Ray Matteis
                              KE6NHG
                              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X