No announcement yet.

Spark plug pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I was just reading about using a heat gun for tuning. It's running a tad better after another sync and adjusting the mix again, but still there. Plugs are pretty new, about 2 months. It may be just a little blockage still in the pilot circuit we cleaned them out really good but it had been sitting 20yrs.
    81 Special

Comment

Originally posted by mschor View Post
      Yeah I was just reading about using a heat gun for tuning. It's running a tad better after another sync and adjusting the mix again, but still there. Plugs are pretty new, about 2 months. It may be just a little blockage still in the pilot circuit we cleaned them out really good but it had been sitting 20yrs.
      Wow 20 years !
      That fuel system from tank to carbs needs flushing after a good soak with something like Chevron Techron full strength mixed with a full tank of fuel, not Chevron with Techron as this is a weaker concentration.
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
      80 XS 1100 SG
      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Ive done that with Seafoam, what's better about Chevron Techron than Seafoam?
        81 Special

Comment

Ive done that with Seafoam, what's better about Chevron Techron than Seafoam?
          Seafoam is great, it's used to keep things clean and the fuel doing what it's supposed to do over a long haul. It's good to use every so many fill ups just to keep things good. You can run it in your fuel all the time if you like.
          Chevron with Techron is much the same as Seafoam use it as much as you think you want.
          Chevron Techron is a more concentrated version. I don't think I'd want to run a whole bottle in my tank even filled to the top. But for cleaning old fuel residue by dissolving it into some waste fuel I've had it work very well.
          I did this while using a spare tank and the tank with the Techron in it was on the shelf for 3 weeks.
          THE FUEL WITH THE TECHRON and THE OLD FUEL RESIDUE should be disposed of in a way other than running it in MY NEW CAR, first and only time that fuel injected Chrysler ever bucked, coughed and spit.
          When I started using that clean tank on the bike no more popping and spitting like I had cleaned the carbs 6-8 times to try and get rid of.
          JAT maybe the can of Seafoam used the same way would have done the same ? ? ?
          The Techron is at Walmart here for $5, Seafoam $8, same size bottle, don't think I saw Seafoam at Walmart ?
          76 XS650 C ROADSTER
          80 XS650 G Special II
          https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
          80 XS 1100 SG
          81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
          https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
          AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Berryman's B12 may work a little better than Seafoam. I think it's a little more on the cleaning side, and less on maintenance. Still not as cheap as Techron, but my family has been using it for over 60 years with good results. I've watched junk wash off of parts using it out of the bottle. Just do NOT let it set on rubber for any time!
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks for all your suggestions! We did clean out the carbs with B12 spray really thorough, but I suppose could still be some hidden funk in there. I replaced the tank due to big rust holes and soaked the new-used one in evaporust, came out pretty clean. I'll take it step by step and let you all know if I make a break through. Just glad to have my keys back after losing them at the beach yesterday!
              81 Special

Comment

Thanks for all your suggestions! We did clean out the carbs with B12 spray really thorough, but I suppose could still be some hidden funk in there. I replaced the tank due to big rust holes and soaked the new-used one in evaporust, came out pretty clean. I'll take it step by step and let you all know if I make a break through. Just glad to have my keys back after losing them at the beach yesterday!
                Even though you've done what thought to be a good cleanin' on those carbs, your gonna have to pull them again. Remove those pilot jets, use a good LED light and magnifying glass. Look in the jet chamber with the magnifying glass for ANY foreign matter. Even the tiniest piece of anything WILL obstruct that upper portion which is the atomizing portion. You WILL have to use the end of a pin or paper clip to remove anything inside those pilot jets. Spray cleaner or compressed air will NOT remove any obstruction inside those pilot jets. I just let you know this as I've already BTDT several yrs. back. Least-wise you'll be eliminating that as a possible issue you can check-off so to speak.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Ok, will do that next time I pull the carbs, thanks!
                  81 Special

Comment

Mike, If all else fails, it may be a good idea to seperate the carbs and use an ultrasonic cleaner. I have one of those HF units, it won't take the whole bank at once though.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks Phil, I'm going to try & figure out this shifter today, then I'll start to tackle the carbs again
                      81 Special

Comment

Working...
                      X