Spark plug pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug pics

I've been riding regularly, she runs smooth with more than about 1/4 throttle, but still a tad stumbly in that pilot circuit range. Plugs 1,2,&3 are dark gray, 4 is a little darker. Pics below show the plugs. I've tried leaning out #4 mixture screw but it runs best at this setting. What do you all think of the plugs? Do those black spots on the insulators mean anything?
    Fuel levels in 3&4 are right on; 1&2 are a little over the washer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/98h3l9nw0j...03900.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xm9rz8uzvf...03619.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1vt83zfb4...03138.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zdwb9me6y...02908.jpg?dl=0
    81 Special

I am thinking they all look pretty good. Maybe even a bit lean.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

I agree with Skids pretty lean, I'd open up the mixture screws 1/2 turn counter clockwise, at a time, til you get some color (tannish) on the plugs.

Is the bikes exhaust popping on decell?
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Interesting that they look lean to you guys, but good because it gives me some options. I've seen these plugs light tan and white before, so the dark gray color here made me think it was rich if anything.
        I richened them up a bit after hearing your thoughts, runs about the same but I may need to play with it a little more. It does pop on deceleration, not a backfire, but some popping. That's a lean sign, right?
        81 Special

Comment

Originally posted by mschor View Post
          Interesting that they look lean to you guys, but good because it gives me some options. I've seen these plugs light tan and white before, so the dark gray color here made me think it was rich if anything.
          I richened them up a bit after hearing your thoughts, runs about the same but I may need to play with it a little more. It does pop on deceleration, not a backfire, but some popping. That's a lean sign, right?
          Possible.........also check exhaust system downstream for any leak where outside air drawn in can cause that pop also.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Mike, I know from working on your bike that the clamps for the front intake boots seemed stretched and not able to be tightened anymore, the PO must have cranked them down too much at one point. Might be sucking air thru there under load. Possible that could cause some inconsistant plug readings.
            Last edited by bikerphil; 06-19-2017, 10:37 PM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yep, that's true they're all bottomed out now, just saw that when I pulled the carbs again today. I was sure it was running rich from the plug color. Oh well, she's still running good; I'll replace those clamps first and see how it responds
              81 Special

Comment

Don't know where you would find narrow hose clamps like those. If you decide to go OEM, the P/N is 90460-54137-00.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

Hmm, I got some at advance auto today, they are a little wider than the oem, but they went on easily and seemed to seal well. Do you think it makes much difference if they fit in that groove in the rubber boot? It does feel like it added some mid range power. Lower is still same though. If I hold it at about quarter throttle or below, it just feels like it's starving....but mixture screws are all at least 4 turns out. Bought a couple cans of sea foam today, and thinking I'll sync and tune it again tomorrow now that those boots are sealed better. Still a blast to ride regardless
                  81 Special

Comment

Think there's a very small exhaust leak further down the pipe on the right side
                    81 Special

Comment

As long as the rubber isn't getting torn then you should be ok, I would check the rear clamps too. Any air leaks in the intake system will cause lean problems. Make sure those airbox boots are completely on the rear of the carbs, it's easy to mess one up, esp the center ones.
                      If your plugs were running rich, they would look like black charcoal.
                      Last edited by bikerphil; 06-20-2017, 09:29 PM.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Hmm, I got some at advance auto today, they are a little wider than the oem, but they went on easily and seemed to seal well. Do you think it makes much difference if they fit in that groove in the rubber boot? It does feel like it added some mid range power. Lower is still same though. If I hold it at about quarter throttle or below, it just feels like it's starving....but mixture screws are all at least 4 turns out. Bought a couple cans of sea foam today, and thinking I'll sync and tune it again tomorrow now that those boots are sealed better. Still a blast to ride regardless
                        4 turns out...... Actually, nothing more than 2 1/2 turns out. If more, then there is other fueling issues, pilot jets too small, etc. I suggest for an initial bench setting, 1 1/2-2 turns out. From there, your still gonna have to set those idle mixtures at an idle(back mix. screw out several turns.....gradually start in till exhaust sound changes or slightest idle drop that stays constant that way......now back mix. screw out 1/8th and no more than a 1/4 turn). Do other three same way, and you will be making idle adjustments lower as you go.........NOW you can sync the carbs, but not before setting idle mixture. Sync carbs at 1100 rpm or a bit lower.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Think there's a very small exhaust leak further down the pipe on the right side
                          That'll pull in the bit cooler outside air at exhaust leak and cause it to pop through exhaust on decell.

Comment

Hi Mike,

A thought I had while reading your post had me wondering that maybe your butterfly shaft seals could be worn and permitting extra air into the mixture.
                            Depending on how and what you or others cleaned or soaked the carbs in may have compromised the shaft seals ability to seal.
                            1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                            1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                            1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                            1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                            1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

I've been riding regularly, she runs smooth with more than about 1/4 throttle, but still a tad stumbly in that pilot circuit range. Plugs 1,2,&3 are dark gray, 4 is a little darker. Pics below show the plugs. I've tried leaning out #4 mixture screw but it runs best at this setting. What do you all think of the plugs? Do those black spots on the insulators mean anything?
                              Fuel levels in 3&4 are right on; 1&2 are a little over the washer.
                              Now that you have addressed the possible and known leaks ,,,,,, how old or how many miles are on those plugs ?
                              At O'Reilly auto parts the BP6ES NGK plugs are less than $3 each, well worth it to start your tuning with fresh plugs, maybe ?
                              Put these plugs in the box the new came in for future use if ever needed ?
                              Silver specs on the insulators is burning up the aluminum of your piston tops, the brown that you have I think is just a tiny bit of oil (no concern), plugs in my LH engine look much the same. I tried to get more color on the plugs but one size bigger pilot jets did not run as well.
                              I just found my new digital heat gun in the mail so I'm going to try and get the idle mix screws turned down from 3.5 turns out. All and all it's running very nice so I'll be just experimenting. Oh the gun was about $14 with shipping from Amazon.
                              76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                              80 XS650 G Special II
                              https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                              80 XS 1100 SG
                              81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                              https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                              AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Working...
                              X