Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80 SG keeps blowing the turn signal (30amp) fuse....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take Mikes advise and get a 20/15A breaker to go in place of the fuse! That way, when the short is no longer there, the signals/power will come back on. I did this for a headlight problem a few years ago, and it works! The other thing to try and do is look at the wire diagram and check the voltage at different locations while parked, key on. When you find a place with only 10V instead of 13V, you know what line to start looking at.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      Take Mikes advise and get a 20/15A breaker to go in place of the fuse! That way, when the short is no longer there, the signals/power will come back on. I did this for a headlight problem a few years ago, and it works! The other thing to try and do is look at the wire diagram and check the voltage at different locations while parked, key on. When you find a place with only 10V instead of 13V, you know what line to start looking at.
      AHHH, right on! As in the locations 3phase noted???
      80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
      MAC 4-1
      K&N Pods
      Accel 3.0 coils
      Tarozzi fork brace
      TC fusebox

Picture update soon

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...psej6wqu9l.jpg

79' XS1100 SF (parts, will be reborn)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...snfgpozqn.jpeg

Comment

Yes, 3phase pointed out all the locations to check, but you really need to have a picture of the wires to do it easily. If you don't have one, there should be someplace here, or a link from 3phase, that you can download one and print it on about 4 sheets of paper so its easy to read and follow.
        Think of electrical as plumbing pipes, just electrons instead of water. You are looking for a leak.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Try wiggling (moving) the wires with the switch on and see if you can get the fuse to blow.
          80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
          and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

Color Electrical Wiring Schematic

Here's a color schematic from the forum at XS11.com.
            The Forum resizes the image to fit the page here so left-click on it to open the full size 1784 x 1172 version, then Right-Click | Save As:-

XS11.com Forums > Idle Talk Forum > Links > Colored Wiring Diagrams >
            80sg_81sh_wire.jpg

To print the schematic on multiple pages, load it in the free MS Paint program and set the Page Properties to 2 x 2.
            Trim and tape the four pages together and you'll have something you can hold in your hand and use that doesn't need batteries or a cord.
            If you mess it up, just print a new one.

Youtube instructions:-

Easily Print Large Image to Multiple Pages!! - Howtosolveit (2:02)

-- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

I have heard of the rear brake light switch shorting internally and then grounding thru the return spring where it rubs against the frame. Just another thing to check.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                I have heard of the rear brake light switch shorting internally and then grounding thru the return spring where it rubs against the frame. Just another thing to check.
                GOOD CALL. I'm about to go get one of those automatic breakers...definitely bringing my multimeter with me when I ride to work at 4. So, ALL of those connections that 3phase mentioned should measure 13v?? Just wanted to make sure...
                80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                MAC 4-1
                K&N Pods
                Accel 3.0 coils
                Tarozzi fork brace
                TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

At last year's Colorado rally a bike had a similar problem; turns out a wire was rubbing against the frame and blowing the main fuse. Do a visual inspection along all the wires where they run over or past a part of the frame. Some insulating tape fixed the problem in the short run.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

The voltage you get will depend on the battery but check the rear brake switch first.

With the new circuit breaker temporarily replacing the 20A SIG fuse, turn on the ignition switch and work the rear brake to see if the switch is shorted.

If the brake switch doesn't short out, measure the battery voltage and then check the voltage from any of the Brown wires to ground from the upper half of the fuse block.

The voltage at the top of the fuse block will be the battery voltage minus the voltage drop across the 30A Main fuse, ignition switch, and the harness connector.
                    The difference shouldn't be more than half a Volt. With the engine off, if the battery has 12.6V then the fuse block should have 12.1V.

Stay at the fuse block and check the voltage on the Brown wire after the 20A SIG fuse/breaker before it goes back into the harness.
                    That voltage should be the same as the voltage at the top of the fuse/breaker.

From that point, you'll have to trace the circuit and wiggle connectors.
                    Except for the Flasher and Turn Signal switch, the voltages should match whatever you measured after the fuse/breaker.

The voltage on the Brown/White wire from the flasher to the handlebar turn signal switch will be slightly lower after going through the relay.

The voltage on the Chocolate and Dark Green wires from the switch to the indicators/signal lamps will drop slightly again after going through the switch.

Jerry: That was Joe's bike. The Hazard Flasher was dented and the metal cover was shorting the internal relay point, blowing the Main fuse.
                    Joe found it when he burned his hand touching it.
                    -- Scott
                    _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                    1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                    1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                    1979 XS1100F: parts
                    2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Breaker

The auto reset breaker is a tool that works so well that you will look forward to the next short circuit. A Chevy dealer tech showed that to me more than 30 years ago. Someone once said "Experience is Priceless".
                      1981 XS1100H Venturer
                      K&N Air Filter
                      ACCT
                      Custom Paint by Deitz
                      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                      Stebel Nautilus Horn
                      EBC Front Rotors
                      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

12v vs 6v bulbs

All that electrical talk looks interesting, but is a genuine mystery to me

I am only chiming in to say I had a similar symptom of the bulbs blowing out after a but of use, and found out the supplier had a mix of 6v and 12v bulbs in the same bin, and I was unfortunate to get the 6v ones. They look the same except the tiny print on the side.

12v bulbs solved the problem for me, thankfully.
                        '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                        '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                        '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

sorry about the delayed response!

It was INDEED the chocolate wire...grounding to the frame. Got'er fixed / solved! I need to make it to one of these rallies so that I can buy you guys beers (if you're drinkin' people!)

You've all helped me immensely, and it's much appreciated! Hell...I come on here and look through the archives, just because I learn so much. Thanks again!!!

Eric
                          80' XS1100 SG "Dottie"

79' SF carbs
                          MAC 4-1
                          K&N Pods
                          Accel 3.0 coils
                          Tarozzi fork brace
                          TC fusebox

Picture update soon

Comment

Sure glad to hear you found it.
                            Grounding out to anything is trouble. and a frustrating PITA to chase down.

Certainly would love to have you join us at XS Southeast in September at Iron Horse in Stecoah, NC. Fairly simple 325 mile run from SDF. An awesome weekend at a stellar venue. Or for a shorter 235 mile ride have lunch with the group at South Williamson over Memorial Day (Sunday Ride).

Jeff
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E
                            78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                            '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                            '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                            X