New coils and wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New coils and wires

One of the original coils on the '81 Venturer I'm working on reads 29,000 ohms when it should be 15,000 ohms so I need to replace them. Research on the site says the green Dynatek DC1-1 3 ohm coils are the way to go. I'm wondering about what size wires to use and why and whether they come with the coils or have to be ordered extra through someplace else? And what would the expected cost be? Thanks all!
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Coils and wire are ordered as needed. I would use 7mm SOLID CORE wire, as it's easier to find. The 3 Ohm coil is good, as that should be what you have. IF you have a ballast resistor, then you will bypass that.
    I would also put on new spark plug caps, as they are fairly cheap and can be ordered from any good auto parts store.
    For you coil, are you checking through the spark plug caps? If so, you can unscrew them and check each one to see if one has a bad resistor.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
      Coils and wire are ordered as needed. I would use 7mm SOLID CORE wire, as it's easier to find. The 3 Ohm coil is good, as that should be what you have. IF you have a ballast resistor, then you will bypass that.
      I would also put on new spark plug caps, as they are fairly cheap and can be ordered from any good auto parts store.
      For you coil, are you checking through the spark plug caps? If so, you can unscrew them and check each one to see if one has a bad resistor.
      No ballast resistor for ALL 81's and XJ. Also, set your meter to OHMs and check across both poles of coil....should be 3ohm. If 2.5-2.7ohm, replace them.
      Last edited by motoman; 04-12-2017, 03:37 PM.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Wires for the Dyna coils....

https://www.z1enterprises.com/dyna-i...ore-black.html
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The '81 and '82 models used the same coils according to Boats.net, and the '78 - '80 used the same coils. Here is the page from the '82 XJ service manual (for those who maybe have never seen this) showing the standard values for the coils (I posted incorrect values in my first post, memory sucks ) Standard values for the '78 - '80 models are 1.5 ohms on the primary and 15,000 ohms on the secondary according to the manual on Catatonicbug's website.

[IMG][/IMG]

The coil for cylinders 1 and 4 read 2.7 ohms on the primary and 11,530 ohms on the secondary, both within spec. The coil for cylinders 2 and 3 read 2.6 ohms on the primary. The reading on the secondary however starts out around 140,000 ohms and then continues to climb for several seconds until it tops out at around 180,000 ohms...way above spec! Not sure why it was reading 29,000 the other day when I checked it but obviously it has issues.

Guess I'll be ordering the Dynatek DC1-1 green 3 ohm coils with 7mm solid core wires as the cure. Oh, I also checked all 4 spark plug boots and all read about 4.9 ohms of resistance.

Thanks again for the feedback.
          Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

BillyRoc,
            Check with some one who knows But i recall one of the colors of
            DynaTeck coils has problems after just a few months.
            I recall there is Green and Black. from my memory it was the Green that were suspect.
            I have been wrong before but would hate to see you get the wrong ones.

Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Phil, those were the Mikes XS coils that fail, not the Dynatek ones.

BillyRok, smart move replacing those 30+ yo coils, you won't be sorry.
              Last edited by bikerphil; 04-13-2017, 10:45 PM.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                Phil, those were the Mikes XS coils that fail, not the Dynatek ones.

BillyRok, smart move replacing those 30+ yo coils, you won't be sorry.
                Thanks bikerPhil, There you go Billy correct information come out eventually

That is the second time I have been wrong.......and the week has just started
                Phil
                1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Good guess though...

That is the second time I have been wrong.......and the week has just started
                  Whenever I post a question, I always say to myself "Well, let's see what Phil thinks and what everybody else knows! But, to your credit Phil, your spelling and grammar are usually impeccable!
                  Billy

Comment

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
                    Whenever I post a question, I always say to myself "Well, let's see what Phil thinks and what everybody else knows! But, to your credit Phil, your spelling and grammar are usually impeccable!
                    Hey BillyTok,
                    I hope you will have a running bike ready for XSSE this year and the weather co oprerates.
                    Phil
                    1983 XJ 650 Maxim

Comment

Hey billy

not trying to change the subject... but I noticed your signature only lists your XJ. Do you still have the midnight you rode cross country?
                      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                      Jim

Comment

Hey Jim - I think I'd already gotten a bit off the original topic before your post, but to answer your question, yes i still have the bike. Here it is this afternoon with my XJ and the Venturer I'm working on.

[IMG][/IMG]

Haven't ridden it since I got home with it from Idaho in Aug 2014, and only put 40 miles on the XJ during all of 2016...just haven't had any time to ride. Which begs the question why am I putting another one together!?!
                        Billy

Comment

Billy

good to see you still have the bike. After the journey you took to retrieve it. I haven't ridden much myself since last October. Jerk pulled out in front of me when I was on my Harley and I had to lay it down. No major damage to the bike. At my age I still have aches and pains from it. Not going to stop me though. I am making repairs to the Harley and I still have my fully restored LG. Still having problems with my LG not wanting to crank though. I can ride it for an hour or more stop for gas and when I hit the start button... nothing. I pop it back in gear, rock the bike a couple of times back and forth and voila it cranks right up. Very strange.
                          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                          Jim

Comment

Cajun, Pull the starter motor and replace it. but go through the new one first, cleaning the armature and greasing the motor so it works correctly. The original motor MAY revive once you do that, but not a given as you may have a bad spot on the armature.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

After some shopping around, this looks like the best deal. Less than $130 for coils and wires with free shipping. Wonder why seller only lists Kawasaki bikes as compatible vehicles? But these will do the job right? Thanks!
                              Billy

Comment

Working...
                              X